cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tragedy involving RV, probably caused by RV.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
The newspaper article is not yet online, but according to the Livingston, Montana Enterprise's Thursday edition, the driver of a Class C RV was killed on highway 89 several miles north of Yellowstone National Park. The driver was struck by a piece of an equalizer hitch, likely from another RV, that penetrated the windshield and striking and killing the driver. The highway patrol went on to say it was doubtful the piece was laying on the highway, since that would have made it highly unlikely that it would be able to enter the windshield. This would mean it fell off of an RV traveling that section of highway (likely southbound towards Yellowstone, around 9 AM on 7/15/2014. The highway patrol is investigating the incident and an autopsy is pending.
****personal comment***** There is a reason for the safety pins on those hitch components. It is likely that someone either didn't want to take the 30 seconds to install them, didn't think it was that big a deal so it slipped their mind, or didn't want to pay the $5.00 to replace a lost one and now someone is dead. Pay attention to what you are doing. And if you know someone who lost a part of their hitch in that location, please do the right thing and contact the authorities.
22 REPLIES 22

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
"A piece of an equalizer hitch" that could be anything from a snap up bracket, to the shank or anything in between! heck it could even be one of those road markers that are epoxied into the center lanes! when they are broken it is very hard to tell where it came from!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've read it here on RV.net. The person is missing the clips or keepers but the bars stay in place so they don't worry about it.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrible thing to happen but the Op sure is assuming a lot as to why.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Part of an equalizer is as vague as it gets. What part, how do you know it was operator error and on a failure of the part?

Exactly!
NOBODY knows just what happened, yet some are ready to ASSUME that it was a preventable occurrence.
I'm somewhat surprised that there hasn't been a call to outlaw these dangerous hitches!
Perhaps that will come if it is shown that it was a part failure not a person failure.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Part of an equalizer is as vague as it gets. What part, how do you know it was operator error and on a failure of the part?

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
That is so tragic. And it may not have been intentional, I have been the victim of someone taking one of my safety keys out of the hitch and without my being anal about checking everything before I move and at each stop something like could have happened to us. I always carry extra safety pins and locking receiver hitch pins with me at all times. Our prayers go out for this man's family.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

danager
Explorer
Explorer
That is so sad. Any reason for the loss of life is tragic, knowing somebody was inadvertantly at fault makes it tragic for that person as well.

My 14 year old will be driving soon. Lately, I have been more intently teaching him the rules of the road. He asked how long until he could help me drive with the TT behind us. I made it clear, this is a dangerous undertaking. Not only is the driver responsible for the TV and TT, they are responsible for all other occupants, and their cargo. We discussed how this is a 12,000# 42' long projectile.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
So...it couldn't have come from a pick-up?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/