cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trail Air Roto Flex noise?

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so the story is this... I just traded in for a different truck. When towing with new truck I noticed that when braking or accelerating the pin box is making an irritating noise - like a taping noise. I confirmed it was the pin by having my wife watch the hitch while I moved truck back and forth. She said it is flexing and the rubber is tapping the base. I have not checked the torque on those bolts and can't seem to located recommendation on what they should be torqued at.

New truck is a dually and sits about an inch and half lower than old truck. I also added 1" taller tires to FW so the rig rides almost completely now, where before it rode pretty nose-high, but was dead silent.

Do you think it's the bolt or is my rubber pad all of a sudden, completely shot?

Thanks for the help.
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL
3 REPLIES 3

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
After posting this on a couple of other forums and seeing some responses I'm semi-convinced now that the noise is coming from the attachment of the B&W companion on the Ford OEM pucks.
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you other than to suggest for her to take the smartphone and video the whole thing
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you wife it watching, have her watch the Rubber pad, there are reports of the pad shifting. Lippert seems to have problems getting a good King Pin set-up. We had the more expensive Tri-Glide on ours and changed it out to a Mor/ryde King Pin Box and couldn't be happier.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint