cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer got broken into. Thief totally destroyed the door.

Mainevacationer
Explorer
Explorer
After 12 years at the same campground without any issues, this winter we were not so lucky. 49 different sites in the campground got broken into. Good news is that the thief was caught red-handed and is sitting in a correctional facility awaiting his court date.

What was really interesting is that with some RVs he broke into, he was able to just "POP" the door open on many different manufacturers but others he had to really destroy the door to get in. Our camper door and the frame have to be replaced because we used the dead bolt to lock the door and we had long screws securing the dead bolt. The guy had to try at least 12 times to get our door open.

The police told me that the RVers should treat their doors like the doors on their homes and use better/longer screws to secure the strike plate for the locks. If someone is intent on gaining entry they are still going to get in, but they are going to have to really work at it.
Elinor and Pat
2015 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK
34 REPLIES 34

Mainevacationer
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is on a waterfront site on a lake in New England. That area had an enormous amount of snow this year. You can see the camper from the lake really well. We were lucky that the thief closed our door to the best of his ability so that you couldn't tell that it had been broken into unless you were really close to the camper. He broke into at least 9 homes on the lake and 49 sites in the campground.
If I had to choose his punishment it would be that his body or parts (39 year old male in okay physical shape) be put up for sale. I am thinking like the movie "Coma" here. I don't know how much usable body parts go for now, but I am thinking that since he is a career criminal he needs to make restitution for his crimes. I can't think of a better way to atone for your sins than to pay full restitution and help out another human being at the same time. Back in the Salem, MA witch trial time, you had to pay for your own room and board while you were in jail. Since this predator can't pay his own way in jail or full restitution to his victims, putting his body/parts up for sale to the highest bidder is a win/win for everyone. He chose his life of crime, he needs to pay the price.
Elinor and Pat
2015 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
around here the meth heads hit the game department fishing access parking lots (think secluded areas near the homeless encampments along the river) People are finding if they have a locking gas cap, they punch a hole in the bottom of the tank to get gas... if you don't have a locking gas cap, they siphon it out, but usually there is enough left to get to a gas station, and you don't need a new gas tank....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, I accidently left it unlocked, and they stole my power converter, which wasn't cheap. Not sure if they would have busted in if it was unlocked.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
We had our door destroyed plus other damage the winter before last, so I feel your pain. He hit about 100 trailers at the local county run storage.

This winter, I didn't lock it. He was homeless and only took clothes. Better to take out the valuables and save the cost and hassle of a break in. They want in, they will get in.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
They way our legal system works, if after a year he gets a court date, he'll find creative ways for continuances, one after another after another. Then enough time will go by and the whole matter will be dropped. If it's not dropped, some judge will most likely give him "time served" and set free. Or he may find a way to plea bargain and get some laxidazial probation with time served. He'll never have to pay a restitution to the victims whose property was damaged. And even if he is ordered to pay a fine, he'll never pay. Then you go through the process of attempting to garnish wages, just to find out he's skipped, and it takes a few more years to find the guy on the lam. When you do catch up with him (because he back in jail for another offense), you finally get a court date for "just cause", just to find he he's 100% unemployed, derelict and has no intention of ever paying anything. It's frustrating, mind blowing, aggitating, and makes your blood boil and steam into oblivion at the foolishness of the legal system. If you are expecting restitution for the damage, you'll never see it. Count your blessing if you can collect insurance on the damage and then move on. (don't ask me how I know all this, it still makes my blood boil!)

:R - Bad boys, bad boys...whatcha gonna do........

How the legal system works - is SOP and immaterial..:S
Whether the perp goes to the slammer or not won't help with repairs.

The RV owner needs to keep the bad guys out - as best as he can.
(And check - or enhance his insurance coverage)

The pistol packers will chime in and say,
"Mine is protected by Mssrs Smith & Wesson".
Won't help if you're not there!..:(

The "Change the Locks" folks. - 99.999% of perps don't use keys!.:S

Soooooo what to do?

Other than leaving it unlocked.......

Several ways to *maybe* scare a perp off:

1. *Expensive* wireless alarm systems - will send message to your cell phone. Besides the hardware, requires monthly fee.
"Tattletale" and other brands.
Won't help if you're a long way away - but if you're at the lake a mile away - might do some good. Expensive!!

2. "Wireless Security System for RVs" - system about $200. (plus any desired accessories) - see PPL Motor Homes (parts).
Some features same as #1 - way less expensive.

3. There's a motion sensor with cable. Handy for just about everything - 120 decibel siren. See "FJM security SX-776 Cable Lock Alarm". Amazon - $20. (Claim is - it's 120 db, reviews say 90)

4. HF portable motion security devices - *Cheap* ($17- $25) - Put some kind of "professional looking" alarm system notification sign on door.
See: Motion Detector Alarm Set, Item #42768, and Wireless Security Alert System, Item #93068.
*If* the perp enters, and doesn't realize what/where it is - AND that it's *not* part of an elaborate alarm system - he may bail out.

And there are certainly other "creative" solutions.

Tough times at Rigemont High..:W

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of the yard light issue.
Some say the lights make thieves avoid the place.
Maybe so, but the brave thief that DOES check it out has it all lit up for him!
I figure to not make it easy; I want him to trip over the scrap metal pile, and the brush pile, and blunder into fences, maybe even fall in the irrigation ditch.
I'm certainly not going to make it easy for him to see and avoid all that!
But then, I have gone away and forgotten to close the garage door, and left the shop & barn doors open, and nothing disappeared.
dang it.
A little help in "downsizing" might not be all bad...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
nothing I hate more than a thief. they are right up there with druggies, since most of them are druggies. and there is no way you can collect from them as they will have to steal to get the money to pay you. most doors cost over $1000 and sometimes you can get them for under $800 on sale.

It seems this thief needs help. I suggest he be bonded out and educate him on the moral " thou shall not steal, specially from me".
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I see two schools of thought here: Locked versus unlocked.

There isn't a right answer, because everybody's neighborhood is different. A storage lot in Austin that has little security and where vandalism of rigs is common, it just might be that leaving it unlocked may be the best thing.

However, I don't believe in letting thieves have free pickings. I vote with my dollars, and don't store my rig at places where I'd be forced to allow vagrants rent-free room, board, and all the copper they feel like ripping out of the walls.

Everyone's security needs are different here.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
RDMueller wrote:
To the OP, what kind of CG was this? I'm curious how the thief managed to break into so many RV's without anyone noticing. At night, you would think most of the RV's would be occupied. During the day, there are always campers/hosts/park rangers etc. around at most of the places I've stayed and it would be really difficult to go unnoticed!

I totally understand RV's being broken into at a storage lot, but in a CG, unless the spots were really secluded and the CG was fairly deserted, just seems really hard to pull this off without anyone noticing. Of course maybe that's the deal since the guy was caught - he did get noticed!

Perhaps this took place in the off-season when the CG was closed for the season?
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laman wrote:
I go the no lock route at my storage yard.
Were I ever to put my rig in storage, I would do this too. They're easy to break into, and the damage will cost you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, what kind of CG was this? I'm curious how the thief managed to break into so many RV's without anyone noticing. At night, you would think most of the RV's would be occupied. During the day, there are always campers/hosts/park rangers etc. around at most of the places I've stayed and it would be really difficult to go unnoticed!

I totally understand RV's being broken into at a storage lot, but in a CG, unless the spots were really secluded and the CG was fairly deserted, just seems really hard to pull this off without anyone noticing. Of course maybe that's the deal since the guy was caught - he did get noticed!
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
So what makes you think that he would not have broken in to find himself a place to stay?
If I'm looking in an RV storage yard for a place to sleep, I'll first check for RVs whose owners leave the doors unlocked rather than breaking in with tools I may not have or calling attention to an RV with a broken window or smashed entrance door. Thanks for your hospitality! ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
When that happened to us many years ago, the thief destroyed the door because the deadbolt was locked. After replacing the door, the dealer advised us to just lock the other lock, since that would keep honest people out, and not as much damage would be done with another breakin. We found a new storage lot, and so far things have been ok anyway.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
gbopp wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Well, my take-away from this post is to leave the rig unlocked and remove everything of value when in long term storage. That way they get nothing and don't damage the coach breaking in.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
Not how I see it. Had friends who had their MH broken into while in storage. The guy was looking for a place to stay and he sure did make use of his temporary digs including the toilet. Then when that filled up, the bathtub. Imagine cleaning that up.

So just letting someone enter vs fixing a broken door may not be in your best interest.

So what makes you think that he would not have broken in to find himself a place to stay?

I go the no lock route at my storage yard. They have someone on site 24/7 but it is a large yard and could still be hit. I do not leave anything in the motorhome of any real value except the six batteries and those are not usually the target of the smash and grab guys. I have seen the prices of windows, front dooors, and bay doors and would rather give up a few items than go through the agony and time in trying to have trying to repair those things on the coach. I take the same approach on my remote hunting camp, if the bad guys want to get in the will get in.

As to the have to be locked for insurance, not in my policy, unauthorized entry is still theft.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's