cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailers passing the campground

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the KOA in Garden City, UT, near Bear Lake to dump my holding tanks.
While waiting in line for the dump station, a horrific screeching and crunching sound was heard in another part of the campground.

2 travel trailers attempted to pass, in the opposite direction, on a road wide enough for one.
Needlessly to say, broken side window glass and they appeared to be stuck pretty tightly.
There were several folks attempting to separate them.
I emptied my tanks and headed home.

Ruined 2 families camping experience for sure!
As Harry Callahan says "a man has got to know his limits"!
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,
25 REPLIES 25

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
GaryWT wrote:
Reminds me of our first trip this year, an F350 towing our TT down a one lane road in the campground and a Mini Cooper coming up the road. He stopped waiting for me to get out of the way. Campers in the area were just standing there shaking their heads. He finally got the point as I kept inching closer to him so he backed into an empty spot so I could continue to my site.

You mean you didn't back up for him?!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of our first trip this year, an F350 towing our TT down a one lane road in the campground and a Mini Cooper coming up the road. He stopped waiting for me to get out of the way. Campers in the area were just standing there shaking their heads. He finally got the point as I kept inching closer to him so he backed into an empty spot so I could continue to my site.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need pictures to show people's loss

Well worthless without pictures, just guessing that one of the two or both didn't know how to judge distance to the edge of the road!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's a rare event when two "Can't fix stupid"s are in the same spot at the same time.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Two cars meet in the middle of a one lane alley.
#1 "Back up"
#2 "No, you back up"
#1 "I never back up for idiots"
#2 "I always do." Then he put in reverse and backed out.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
At the one campground we stay at, I have to pull in the wrong way down the road to pull into our site (same site every year). It's only about 4 sites down the road, but I still check before I commit to going the wrong way. There is no room to pass each other. So I would have to back up, which isn't an issue for me! Last year I got lucky and got there before a pull through was taken, so I just went right through and onto our site.

If you tried going the wrong way - even if only 4 sites down - in the campground we volunteered, you would have gotten one warning, then a huge fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, rules aren't for everyone.

Except that I couldn`t get into the site going the normal direction, there is a power pole at the corner of the site making the swing from the right direction impossible! you gotta do what you gotta do! 5 years now and the same people at the corner site always tell me I`m going the wrong way! you`de think they would figure it out after 5 years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
At the one campground we stay at, I have to pull in the wrong way down the road to pull into our site (same site every year). It's only about 4 sites down the road, but I still check before I commit to going the wrong way. There is no room to pass each other. So I would have to back up, which isn't an issue for me! Last year I got lucky and got there before a pull through was taken, so I just went right through and onto our site.

If you tried going the wrong way - even if only 4 sites down - in the campground we volunteered, you would have gotten one warning, then a huge fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, rules aren't for everyone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they were both pulling rentals with full coverage ๐Ÿ˜‰
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a class A this weekend drive out the one-way loop the wrong way. Two other cars coming in the right way had to back up out of the loop for him. This loop was very small and had a tight turn right where his site was. It only took about a minute for him to exit the loop.

Another time, I saw a woman in a small car drive around a LARGE loop the wrong way. She apparently forced more than one RV (one was a truck and 5th wheel) to back up for her. She went around the loop the wrong way twice before the ranger came by and told her to turn the vehicle around and follow the law.

In the first instance, I think the circumstances warranted it, but think he should have had someone at the entrance of the loop to make sure another big rig didn't come in before he got out. In the second instance, there was no excuse for it - the woman was just being lazy and selfish.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
This is a big hangup of mine! Even on roads two way. Your towing with a MH or an RV there plenty of room but, Some guy with the big4x4 lifted big off road tires and clear ground is afraid to get his hyway rig off of the pavement so you get the head bobbing chicken thing of you want ME to give way. Or you want me in a single rig no tow to back up. They most likely had room until the two tow rigs cleared then too early turned for the middle of the road leaving the RV's to tango.

LEN

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
the_vfox wrote:
Those one way arrow's can be really confusing.
The results of "If they can't pass the tests, lower the standards". Dumbing down of America.

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Those one way arrow's can be really confusing.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
'Dirty' Harry Callahan in 'Magnum Force'..."Man's got to know his limitations" with typical Eastwood grimace/stare.
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i