cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all--

I have a bumper pull toy hauler and a topper on my truck. I love fishing and wish I could take my fishing boat with me! Since I am unable and prefer not to tow doubles, I am considering carrying along an inflatable raft with small outboard for fishing and pleasure.

Considering a 12' Saturn fishing model with alum floor. I'll also carry a small outboard 2-4hp. Raft weight with floor is about 175#.

Once at campsite and I rig the boat, I need a way to get it to and from the launch ramp daily, as I do not want to deflate/inflate it each day. I'd like to set up and inflate day 1, and deflate and put away when we leave.

So, how can I safely get it to ramp and back to campsite daily?

I believe campsites to launch ramps, at most places where there is water (lakes/rivers), is about one mile or less.

Options I thought of....

1. Small portable trolley/dolly/trailer that is lightweight, portable, foldable and can be used to trailer it down to water/ramp.

2. Getting raft up onto my topper....but weight and my age make it prohibitive.

3. Adding wheels to raft for launching are great for walking raft into water, but I don't believe they are suitable for trailering to launch ramp

4.?????????
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
22 REPLIES 22

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
alot of jet ski guys build carts out of pvc pipe. light weight and easy to transport.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess the big question here is, is this just for within the campground or will you need to travel public roads to the boat ramp? If within the campground you may be able to get away with one or two of the kayak dollies or even a hand/refrigerator truck with the bottom platform removed. the heavier hand trucks normally come with better rubber wheels that disperse the load. Slide one under the boat and run straps around it. Walk the boat to the water.
If you have to leave the campground onto public roads, start looking for a Harbor Freight Trailer that is legal for road use.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I was young and strong I used to take people on whitewater raft trips. I had a 12' bucket boat and a 16' self-bailer that I transported on a trailer. I got the boats to the water by giving out a shout. In no time I would have all the hands I needed. Everyone helped each other at the launch sites. 175 lbs. should be no problem even for a long carry.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
One of them Horrible Freight 4x8 folding trailers would do the trick. Store it in your toyhauler.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
175# and 12' are still pretty small. Could you use a yard wagon like this with sides that drop down?
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/garden-landscaping-tools/wheelbarrows-carts/yardworks-reg-900-lb-steel-utility-cart/yrd900/p-1470102316729-c-13262.htm
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered one of these, http://www.4boysmfg.com/? If you already have the boat it would save money from buying another.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Could something like this be modofied to pull to a ramp? Jet ski dolly

Check the different types of dollies on the web, some get pricey but some seem pretty reasonable.