cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Health Insurance

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip later this month to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. We need temporary health insurance to cover my wife and me while there, and my wife while out of our area in Texas. I have a Medicare Advantage plan. My wife has a crappy Obamacare HMO policy that covers her only in our local area. Yes, it covers emergencies, but who knows how they will define emergency? Will it cover the emergency room only, or will it cover a resulting hospitalization? When a serious hospitalization can cost $100,000 or more, that is too big a crapshoot for me.

Anyway I am looking for a short term travel health insurance policy to cover us for a month or so. Any recommendations?
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX
7 REPLIES 7

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. i called Good Sam Insurance, and they had a short term medical policy available at a reasonable price. Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I'll check into the FMCA plan.
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on FMCA - known as FMCAssist - worth the cost of membership for that alone. As far as medical insurance for out of country, we have used Seven Corners twice. Happy to report we never have had to actually use the plan, but certainly good to have! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out FMCA for Medical Evacuation It''s FREE with a membership and kicks in when you are over 100 miles from home and All types of RV's can now join FMCA
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
mclee47 wrote:
or will it cover a resulting hospitalization? When a serious hospitalization can cost $100,000 or more, that is too big a crapshoot for me.

I just want to add, for the benefit of any one else reading this thread, that you can also buy a Medical Evacuation Policy. This is the one that provides an air ambulance, complete with nurse (or doctor if necessary, I think) to fly you home.

There's also a list of such companies on the State Department site referenced above.

Canada, of course, has excellent hospitals. But if you were going somewhere more third-worldish, you would really want one of those, too.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I talked with my Medicare Supplement Agent that I use. He recommended a travel policy that covered the wife and I while in Canada. The cost was reasonable for the time we were in Canada. He emailed me a link and I filled out the application and printed the coverage cards online. Quick and easy.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We are also planning a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I looked online at a few travel medical insurance plans.

Then I did something that might be cosidered quaint and old-fashioned. I called a local travel agent. The agent offered a plan with equivalent coverage at a lower price.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
What you are looking for is Travel Medical Insurance. A Google search on that term will turn up numerous sites. This State Department page lists a bunch of them. Sorry, I can't make a personal recommendation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/your-health-abroad/ins...