cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Registration

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab truck and registration fees in California are very high.
While at AAA yesterday getting the wife's disable tag they told me that if I put a disable license plate on the truck that the weight cost would be taken off the cost of the yearly registration fee.

Has anyone here ever put a disable plate on their truck and did it save you any money at registration time? Also if you have a disable plate on your truck are you still allowed to tow a trailer?

They didn't have the answers to these question at AAA and the line at the DMV are way too long to stand in if it can be avoided.

Thanks,
Craig
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab
5 REPLIES 5

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Had the truck weighed when it was resister here in CA. Hope this works out as I would love to save some money. ๐Ÿ™‚
I will update this thread after I visit the DMV.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
weight fee exempt but need to be under 8000
I would love to get that, my 3500 has a extra fee for weight. but I think my weight will be over 8000. why the limit I wonder
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I clicked on the link, and looked up the form for the handicap card application. It allows one vehicle to be exempt from weight fees. You can have other vehicles and handicap plates, but only one can be exempt from the fee.

I don't know if you can get custom plates with the handicap too, it might be possible.

To do the truck, you will need to take it to a certified scale, and have them weigh it. It must be under 8,000 pounds unladen. So the laden weight can be as high as the GVWR, but empty, it needs to be under 8,000 pounds. It would help to make sure it is light as possible, so 1/4 tank of gas or less.

It looks like you will need to call the DMV or perhaps find another person at AAA who can do the paperwork.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
According to what AAA told me, I can get disabled plates for both my car and truck. Only one truck per disabled owner is allowed but you can have more than one car with disabled plates. Wife's car has her Ham plate (N6TNL) on it and she not going to take that plates off. AAA says they can do the car at that their office but not the truck. Something about they don't have access to the weights that the DMV uses for trucks.

As for discounts for being a Vet, I don't qualify for any of those discounts. Draft ended in 1972 at number 33, I was number 49. My plan was to go into the Air Force at the end of summer of that year but we known how that something goes. Do wish I had gone into the Air Force as planned. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Thanks for the link, I will go there and read up on the rules.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You are allowed to register ONE vehicle with a disabled plates, and be exempt from the weight fees. The other cars have to use the hang tag, or perhaps if your wife is also disabled, you can have a second car with handicap plates.

I registered my dune buggy with handicap plates, because it does not have a roof or doors, hanging the tag inside it might get stolen.

You should be able to change your truck at AAA, and I really see no reason to go into DMV.

You can look up some information at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr07

There is also a exception for 100% disabled veterans, if you qualify for that, then no need to pay any registration fees at all.

Also California Vets who have any disability (my buddy was 5% disabled due to having pneumonia when he was discharged) your kids can get a free ride at any California State University - they only need to pay for books and parking. .

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com