cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to figure out my best Toad option

Gundog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to figure out which vehicle to use for toad. I have a Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 diesel weighs about 6800#. Our car is a 2008 Mazda 6 front wheel drive auto trans weighs about 3300#. MH has a 10000# tow rating and after weighing it I have the capacity.

I have a 16' car trailer but don't really want to always deal with trailer storage. I have a Ready Brute 8000# tow bar I bought from the seller of our MH but it needs the brackets for the Ram PU and a cable for the breaking.

If I pull the car I need a tow dolly as I do not want to always have the car trailer. I would trade off the car but it only has 38,000 miles and is excellent condition blue book is not that high on it. For the money I get for the car the rigs I am looking at for the same money all have 150K miles that to me is a dumb trade.

I am wondering how much fuel economy I will lose hauling the PU over towing something that is lighter? I am just trying to work this out and figure out which direction makes the most sense. Most of our trips are short I own a business and getting away is hard for long duration's.

It seems hauling the truck for now might make the most sense.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
5 REPLIES 5

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 2002 D-2500 diesel several years, came in handy a couple times when we were bringing stuff home.didn't tow all that bad either.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing the truck around does not sound like fun.
I would do a tow dolly. Youโ€™ll get most of your purchase price back.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had the truck weighed? Seems on the light side. My Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 tips the scales at 8k empty.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sell the car buy something small,used that can be towed 4 down. Not sure why youโ€™d want to haul a 7,000lb truck for running around, sight seeing. Time for a change.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me it makes way more sense to A, see if your car can be towed 4 down, or B, buy a tow dolly. Either way your car would be the best choice.
I guess as an option, buy a older CRV or Suzuki Sidekick 4x4 and go have fun off road.