cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turn heater on for the night or winterize?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Portland, Oregon. Temperature is supposed to get to 25F tonight. I was getting ready to go winterize the motorhome when it occurred to me that I might be fine just going over to the storage lot and turning the heat on for an evening.

In Portland we might see two or three days of below freezing. We camp year round so it just might be a waste of time, water and pink stuff to fully winterize.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you also just crank up the heat for a night when it gets below freezing for just one night?

---Robert
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
19 REPLIES 19

Like Terry said, if it is only a few nights of freezing temps, you should be fine. As long as the temps are above in the day..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Questions like this are hard to answer without more info on your RV and how its plumbing is set up.

It appears to have basically enclosed tanks and piping. Furnace for one night should be more than sufficient, no different than camping in similar weather. Simply letting it sit would likely also be okay, assuming the temperatures during the day are above freezing, as it takes time for the temperature in the RV to cool down to freezing and more time for the water to freeze when the air temperature in the RV is cold.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe just a couple nights below freezing won't hurt the RV. Now if it was going to be a week or so in the teens with out warming above freezing in the day. I would be concerned.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Good question about being connected. Otherwise, you'll be running the furnace blower on battery. That would probably work for 1 night if you turn the thermostat really low. Really 25( or about 27 and below) is right at the point when I would worry about freeze up. but then it depends on how long it would be that temp. I would open the cabinet doors to get heat to the water lines. If you have shore power, an elec. portable heater might work. To answer your question, no I probably wouldn't winterize for 1 night in the upper 20's but if it could be several nights I would.
Jayco-noslide

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Are you connected to shore power??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.