cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turned 65, use the VA, but do I need Medicare?

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I saw something about this, did a search but can't find.

I have used the VA for about 15 years for most health issues, minor stuff I paid out of my pocket. Just signed up for Social Security. Have had an issue with my ankle for last 6 months and applied early at 65. I planned on trying to still work, altho much less, but with fractured ankle, work has been close to zilch. Consultation on ankle, another 3 weeks away.
My question to whoever, I receive a 10% service connected disability. I fell into the scare tactic of the government and signed up w/ Medicare to avoid penalties, but now understand I didn't need to. And when away from home, need to sign up for Veterans Choice Program.
Thought I did well when I hit 65. First made it. Home, old as it is, truck, and 'toys' are paid for.
Anyone opt out of Medicare and just use the VA? I have had excellent service from the VA, till this latest ankle problem. Hey there are those who have worse problems so I don't want to push it, but have to watch my pennies. Biggest problem, I live in CA.

Appreciate any replies, Thanks , Shep
24 REPLIES 24

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
shepcal wrote:
So far, all my medical has been covered, have Premium policy and $8 co pay. Biggest concern has been, when away from a VA facility, out in the desert ect. First reason for this post was how others viewed the Veterans Choice Program or even if it's an option away from home.

I have experienced, as have other I have talked to at the VA, the practice of routinely denying care under the Veteran Choice program. They always seem to come up with some kind of technicality that disallows it. I know this from personal experience and first hand from other Veterans. This program seems to be a publicity effort by the VA after the past scandals to give the appearance that the VA is doing something to help us. It looks to be pretty much smoke and mirrors and my primary care doctor at the VA has told me as much. Traveling is completely disallowed under the Choice program. If traveling, the only way to get care from the VA is at a VA hospital on a walk in basis. Chuck

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
So far, all my medical has been covered, have Premium policy and $8 co pay. Biggest concern has been, when away from a VA facility, out in the desert ect. First reason for this post was how others viewed the Veterans Choice Program or even if it's an option away from home.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a 100% DAV P&T. I do not need the additional part B as the VA covers my healthcare 100% including prescription drugs. I am not sure the 10% rating will get you a lot of coverage. MAybe you can get your prescriptions for around $8 co-pay but I doubt you will be covered enough to get rid of part B.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I am a retiree with a 30% VA rating. I signed up for Medicare at 65 and use that and my TFL for most stuff. I get my hearing aids and glasses from the VA. I see my local family DR. for routine stuff. My only out of pocket so to speak is the automatic Medicare deduction from my SS and my Co-pay on drugs from Express Scripts. Very pleased so far.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
shepcal wrote:
I don't do doctors unless an emergency when away from home. When I can and not working in winter, I go to AZ or NV and prospect for gold for a week or so at a time. Only emergency I could foresee would be something broken or snakebit. Otherwise I would head home.

That's what I used to think .... until two things happened to me out of the blue in the last 10 months:

1) A kidney stone attack that caused debilitating pain. I wouldn't want that to occur on an RV trip - especially if out in the middle of nowhere. The stone had to be surgically removed and the whole process would have been very expensive without Medicare A, Medicare B, and Supplemental Insurance.

2) A gall bladder attack that caused debilitating pain. I also wouldn't want that to occur on an RV trip - especially if out in the middle of nowhere. The gall bladder had to be removed and would have been very expensive surgery without Medicare A, Medicare B, and Supplemental Insurance.

I'm a four year AF "veteran", but VA benefits are so small for me that I never followed through on signing up with the VA.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you might want Part B, don't put it off. There is a 10% penalty for each year that you could have had it but didn't enroll. That penalty is a lifelong penalty. The current premiums for Part B are a little over $100/mo.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
hmmm...SOooo, are you saying that Medicare'A' & Tricare aren't enough in an emergency? I get the part about needing to get checked up B4 it happens.:W

I can't answer that because I have no idea which plan you have or where you might be and where it covers. You should be able to answer that question if your enrolled in TriCare. But there are many items, even when you are hospitalized in an emergency, that will be billed under Medicare Part B. Doctors charges, even though it was in the hospital, ambulance services and others. If you don't have it or don't have coverage for the same through another provider, you pay it out of your pocket. Chuck

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm...SOooo, are you saying that Medicare'A' & Tricare aren't enough in an emergency? I get the part about needing to get checked up B4 it happens.:W
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
I'm a 69 year old, 30 year retired vet with 10% disability also. The only thing I 'think' the wife & I need is Medicare Part A & Tricare for Life. Which we have. I'm well, haven't been to a Dr. since my retirement Phy. in 1996. :B

That was exactly my feelings until March 1st, when I found myself in an ambulance and 5 minutes away from my expiration date from a major heart attack. Until that very moment, I thought I was very healthy and never had any indications or problems. No where near a VA facility and very thankful for part A and part B. Hospital bill would have cost me over $150,000.00. That is no typo. Chuck

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a 69 year old, 30 year retired vet with 10% disability also. The only thing I 'think' the wife & I need is Medicare Part A & Tricare for Life. Which we have. I'm well, haven't been to a Dr. since my retirement Phy. in 1996. :B
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for your service Ray and appreciate your offer. This getting old sucks, but got to perservere!

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Shep thanks for the reply. I am retired from Army and 100% Disabled, If I can help you in any way send me a PM.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Ray and others-
Don't know about TriCare?
Not retired from service, only had 4 years in, but screwed my knee up bad in the end of my term and thus my 10% disability. Never had a charge from VA, except co-pay for meds (usually $8 a month).
I don't do doctors unless an emergency when away from home. When I can and not working in winter, I go to AZ or NV and prospect for gold for a week or so at a time. Only emergency I could foresee would be something broken or snakebit. Otherwise I would head home.
Appreciate replies, but still kind of lost. Have an appointment at VA in Fresno towards end of month and will try to find someone that can explain this to me. Thanks

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've used the VA for too many years to count ... but took Medicare as soon as I was eligible.

Too many times, the VA doctors are less than effective in specialty treatment. I'd never let the VA choose a random doctor for surgery, for example. I want to choose a doctor that plans on cutting my body open. So there is that part, about choosing your doctors.

Sometimes, you get good care, sometimes indifferent care at VA ... so in the interest of health care, the more choices you have, the better your health care will be - especially if you participate in your care, and research the best available treatments ... then, you will get best of both worlds.

I personally find/choose (you can change PCM in VA if you don't get along well with your PCM) ... But, I find a good one, and stick with him/her ... THEN, once we see a problem, then I decide whether VA or a private physician is best, and go with my own choices instead of whatever random doctor VA has on staff. Works for me.

Plus, when we're traveling, we get Medicare everywhere, and with the VA, it's not always as easy to get "out of home area" treatment. You can get it, but it's a hassle. SO if you travel a lot, Medicare is everywhere, and no difficulty getting health care.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic