cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Antennae Issue

PeteK-Hou
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 televisions in my TT. When using the powered amplifier, I can only use one TV at a time. When I try to use them both, only one gets a signal from the antennae, the other one just freezes. The manual says that when the amplifier is in use, it should send the signal to both outlets.

This only happens when using the antennae. When using cable input, both tv's operate independently.

Any ideas?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
What checklist ?

PeteK-Hou
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, the only problem was the loose cables. They were on the correct connections, just really loose. After getting all of them tight, both TV's work as expected.

Looks like someone missed a checklist item in the build...

PeteK-Hou
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to make it over to the TT. I took the wall plate off and wonder of wonders...none of the cables are identified. I did notice that all of the cables were extremely loose, maybe only tightened 2 or 3 threads so I did tighten them up.

I'll be bringing the camper back home on Wednesday to get ready for the weekend so I'll be able to crank up the TV's at that time and disconnect the cable marked TV2 to see if they are switched.

more to come...

PeteK-Hou
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a family emergency I haven't been able to make it over to the storage lot yet. But I will report back as soon as is possible...

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think Chris nailed it in his post above. Will be anxious to hear the report.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

PeteK-Hou
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info..the wall plate seems to be a good start. I have to head over to the storage lot tonight.. I'll pull the plate and see what's up....

I'll report back as soon as I can

Thanks for that diagram!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yikes - Wall plate - good catch.

Checking the cable connections sounds like a good plan. Try a 3rd TV on one of the cables and see if that works.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if the cable inlet and 2nd TV cables are switched on the back of the power supply- if the 2nd set is on the cable inlet, with the amp switched on, it's isolated. With it set to cable, it's tied in to the whole system, and with the cable signal coming in through the second set output, I believe it would work.
It wouldn't even be the 10th time I have seen the cables not properly connected.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Try connecting a splitter on one coax and then connect both TVs to the outputs. If this is OK then the problem may be the amplifier.

No not the amplifier (Which is part of the antenna head) but the splitter (Which is part of the wall plate assembly.

Frankly I do not know how this can happen unless there is a serious issue with the televisions themselves.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try connecting a splitter on one coax and then connect both TVs to the outputs. If this is OK then the problem may be the amplifier.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I would also start by checking the back of the power amp. plate to make sure both TV are properly connected (see above diagrams). If that is not the issue, you will have to trace the coax for the second TV to make sure it is not shorted out or if an "F" connector has come loose, which is not an uncommon problem. If you can't locate the problem, maybe your amp. is not powering both TVs and may need to be replaced. You didn't say if it used to work OK and this is a new issue, or an issue with a new trailer. If that's the case, take it back to the dealer.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unusual problem. I would pull the amplifier panel like the one Roy posted and check the connections on the back. There should be a coax connection for Set 1 and Set 2. Could be loose.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the antenna I use for OTA...

It feeds both front and bedroom TVs just fine. I do push in the small push button on the antenna panel when using the OTA roof BATWING Antenna.

These are other typical photos from google search for the setup..

Maybe will give you some ideas where to check things...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
In my coach there is a controller that selects where the signal source is for each TV. Does your TT have this feature? Sounds like the controller is not set correctly for the second TV.