cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Sucked Left by Trucks

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
I've been happy for about three years with my Equalizer setup. But it may not be set perfectly. On interstates large trucks that pass me suck the TV a tad towards them about when their tractor overtakes the TT. It's brief and no problem control-wise, but is this normal?

Rig is level with around 40# air pressure in the bags and front end has just a little lighter feel than when not towing. I've had another WDH setup where the front axle was very bouncy, so I know the difference. I have not put it on a CAT scale since doing so a few times when the rig was new.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
11 REPLIES 11

lawdes
Explorer
Explorer
I get that with my 38' TT, propride hitch. Sometimes it really gets close! I think it is similar to an airplane wing. the air moving around the truck overtaking creates an area of low pressure between the "wave" of air, and the truck itself. Since the air pressure on the opposite side of the trailer is greater, it tends to push into, or sucked into the area of low pressure. that is the same reason a wing lifts an airplane.

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
You don't feel it as much with a 5th wheel because the pivot point between the truck and trailer is over the rear axle, and the trailer has no leverage on the truck.

Same thing for a Hensley or a ProPride 3P, because the pivot point is projected some four feet forward by design. We have the 3P and there is no turning felt - just the sensation of the rig being pulled slightly towards the passing truck.
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is normal. Even he big trucks, and busses feel each other when they pass.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't feel it as much with a 5th wheel because the pivot point between the truck and trailer is over the rear axle, and the trailer has no leverage on the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as there is control isn't being lost, there is nothing unusual about it. 5th wheels and MH's also experience it but due to their suspension setup, the feel is generally less.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
On interstates large trucks that pass me suck the TV a tad towards them about when their tractor overtakes the TT. It's brief and no problem control-wise, but is this normal?

Yes it's normal.
Congratulations on your steady hand on the wheel.
A minor inconvenience can become major if the driver over-corrects.

It is a complicated process; first the wake from the truck pushes against the back of the trailer, which tends to make the front of the TT go slightly toward the passing truck.

Then when the wake gets to the front of the TT (back of the tow), it tries to push the back of the tow vehicle slightly and makes it feel like the tow is going toward the truck.

If you only notice one deviation from straight during a pass, you are lucky and/or have a good setup.

I too like US routes that are not Interstates.....but you have to be extra careful when stopping. Not many things in little towns take motorhomes and big trucks into consideration when they lay out the parking lots.

DRSMPS
Explorer
Explorer
This is pretty normal with a TT. Keep an eye on your mirror and watch for semi's and busses that may pass. The alternative is to take the back roads if you can. I do this as much as possible and it is a much more enjoyable drive (as long as you aren't in a hurry).

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys. 3oaks, I looked at the first few posts of that link and am now so glad I asked RV.net and not my son-in-law, who, being a real rocket scientist, would have explained the whole of the physics to me! :S
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes it's normal for a tt. 5er, not so much. MY 5er and MY truck.. no suck at all.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman