cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use of Generators to run Air Conditioners when camping

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does everyone but us get to run their generators anytime they want to...

It just blows me away when I read about everyone buying and apparently using generators for their air conditioners for camping off the power grids. Just about every day we read about questions on which generators to get and all kinds of questions about whether or not they can run their air conditioners on the big Fifth wheels and Travel Trailers using their generators. The strange thing is they get good answers on what works and what doesn't work.

We have been to quite a few camp grounds over the past five to six years all over the area around Virginia and southern states and like to go to the high country of these areas camping off the power grids.

We carry a 2KW Honda generator just to re-charge our battery bank when camping off the power grid here on the East side of the US. I have to deal with generator restrictions just about every where we go. Most of the more planned camp ground areas have the 8AM-10AM and then from 4:30-7:30PM set aside time to run the generators. We are finding more and more of the Forest areas now allowing you to run your generator from 8AM to 8PM but have never found any place that allows you to use your generator after 8PM let alone all night.

Not a whole lot of time when you really need to use the air conditioners. I guess the NASCAR places is one exception.

We have never camped at any private locations - only public locations. We have never camped farther West than North Texas and across the Red River into Okla in recent times.

This was the main reason I went to all the trouble to beef-up my trailer with more batteries and smart mode charging technology along with more running "green" ideas so that my time allowed to run my generator would be as short as possible to get my batteries re-charged to their 90% charge state each time.

We must have missed the boat somewhere along the line as most of the folks asking generator questions must be thinking about being allowed to use them any time they want to.

If I spent $2000 on a generator I would want to be able to use it... It must be totally different using the generators on the West side of the US where things are spread out more.

I always like to go by the established rules and maybe some just go ahead and run the generators anyway??? It seems the big motorhomes get away it big time. I hear them running alot back off the power grids places.

I usually add my comments to this effect when I see NEW MEMBERS asking these kinds of questions on how much to spend for generators etc. I guess they are expecting to be able to use those high dollar additions when they want to... Has never happened to us being allowed to use the generators anytime we wanted at the places we go to...

just wondering...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
128 REPLIES 128

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jloucks wrote:
korbe wrote:
GrumpyGator wrote:
........ If it bothers you, I would suggest that you're the one in the wrong campground.

That is the attitude that has me pissed off about generator use.

X2

This is what is wrong with entire society. Selfish people that do whatever they want so long as it is legal because they can regardless of the NEGATIVE impact in others.

...and they are ALL hypocrites too. The first time somebody plays their loud rock music 10 feet from their camper or runs through their site or shines their light all night or cuts in front of them in traffic or talks really loudly at the table next to them at dinner or sits next to them on a plane having not showered in 2 weeks they complain. They are all the SAME person to me.

All of us must suffer their selfishness, or change the rules. It is just a shame some of the rules we need. Our rules say something about us as a people.

Dude...you're projecting. Please stop, it's a little embarrassing.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda ES 6500 was liquid cooled and a twin cyl. It wasn't very quiet at 74.5 DB but it is doable.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
all of those outboards do not recirculate the water. they keep pumping fresh cooling water in. with recirculation you will need a large radiator, fan, etc. I'd like to see a practical design for a portable.
some inboards recirculate the cooling water but have a heat exchanger to dispel heat into the outside/salt water.
bumpy

Radiator size would be small. This is not a problem. The engine would only be running at about 6 hp max (4KW generator), and well below outboard design RPM.

Look at other small water cooled engines, even at considerably more than 6 hp. This would not take a car sized radiator or even a small motorcycle sized radiator. For closest example check out 150 CC scooter radiator (even those are putting down 10-15 hp).

My guess is inverter, liquid cooled, encapsulated engine is the way forward.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I have an emergency generatorโ€ฆ it is used only for emergencies at home, base camp, or while campingโ€ฆ
On a 9 or 10 day stay in warm weather it may need run one day for battery chargingโ€ฆ if it were critically hot and dangerously so for the DW or myself, I would without question run my generatorโ€ฆ

And one time because of stooped traffic, I needed to run it to catch a Steeler playoff game in a parking lot of wild and wonderful stateโ€ฆ

All emergencies in my opinion and yes I am rude and donโ€™t care what you think about itโ€ฆ

Although I have much more time in hours exercising mine than using it, it is of great value to meโ€ฆ

It has more time running in a resort CG with a extended power outage and was used by anyone that didnโ€™t have one and a long enough cord to reach itโ€ฆ 3 units at a timeโ€ฆ

I love my powerful open caged Generac 4000 EXLโ€ฆ eat your heart out, its REDโ€ฆ

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
so after all of this what have we learned or determined???

You, all of you are rude and obnoxiousโ€ฆ I am notโ€ฆ
Because I paid more for a built in genny it is my God given right to use itโ€ฆ

Because I paid more for my genny it is better than yours and have I have the right to criticize you for your choice and itโ€™s useโ€ฆ

Established rules are ridiculous, I know what is best for both you and Iโ€ฆ ignore the rules, listen to what I say and you canโ€™t go wrongโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all of those outboards do not recirculate the water. they keep pumping fresh cooling water in. with recirculation you will need a large radiator, fan, etc. I'd like to see a practical design for a portable.
some inboards recirculate the cooling water but have a heat exchanger to dispel heat into the outside/salt water.
bumpy

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
In theory, you could use the waste heat off the gen exhaust for a co-gen off the gen,,,lol.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

MrWizard
I know some National Park CG's have area's that prohibit generators
and very limited genset hr's in the permitted areas

Lodge Pole CG in Sequoia Nat Pk is one of them
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I think for larger portables it would work such as the Yamaha 4000 (just about right for 30 amp service) and 6000 watt models. Something intended to be rolled around on wheels. Picture a 9.9-15 HP vertical twin outboard engine and belt drive generator in a package.

It would obviously not work on the smaller portables such as 2KW and below. 3KW maybe....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:

I would think so. Just an example both Yamaha and Honda have small twin cylinder off the shelf water cooled engines (small outboards come to mind). Encapsulate it, run it at low RPM with an inverter and there's a quiet generator. No doubt these couldn't serve all applications due to size and weight, but I bet they could be made surprisingly portable and light.

I assume you don't intend this water cooled unit to be portable?
like to see the design of one if it is portable.
bumpy

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
if it's possible would it be cost effective? Do you really think those small ones have the grunt to keep up with a 4/55K Onan?

Sure they'd keep up with the Onan if you built in enough power. Water cooling would allow encapsulation. Twin cylinder engine would have smaller quieter exhaust pulses. Inverter would keep RPM down if possible. They could even tap the coach batteries for surges like the Yamaha boost does. Cost would be up but a good design would last for a decade or more-spreading out costs. Those who want to pay for it would buy it and cut the overall campground noise. The cost would not be excessive.

This would be night and day compared to current tech. Many people would want to buy it.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I think that some of the issue is that generators and generator use is a lot more prevalent in the last 10 years.

What used to be a generator-free campground is now very likely to have a generator.

And in your state park/forest service/natural area, the generator noise is something of a crime to those wanting a natural environment (whether during generator hours or not).

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Eurocamper wrote:
Wherever possible I camp in a campground that prohibits generators. I've noticed that out here in the West there are more and more of them available. Some, like Zion National Park, are reducing the hours in which a generator can be operated in campgrounds that allow them.

Noise pollution is coming to the forefront as an issue in our National Parks and recreation areas. If this is a concern to you it's a good time to get involved.

I support the National Parks and the National Forest that are making no-generator campgrounds available and I encourage anyone here that objects to generator noise to contact the National Park and National Forest administrators to make your opinion known. It makes a bigger difference than you might suspect.

Good point. As with all a-holery, we just need to petition to get rules in place. Shouldn't have to, but as this thread proves, we do.

That is what I will do now actively. If the generator next to me is loud and/or stinky (some aren't tho, not talking about those) I am going to the office. I will also try to recruit other suffering neighbors to do the same. I used to try and ignore it. But now, knowing the attitude behind it (I always chalked it up to ignorance and not malice/entitlement) I am motivated.

It is a shame, but just like texting in theaters, I guess we are gonna have to get more stinking rules in place.

Yea yea I know generator dudes, texting in theaters without a rule against it is fine, it is your phone and you will do what you want by golly.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
if it's possible would it be cost effective? Do you really think those small ones have the grunt to keep up with a 4/55K Onan?
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp