cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using truck scales

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
i just did a search and nothing came up, but has anyone taken their rigs to a flying J or other truck stop to weigh their truck/trailer combo? I'm picking up a 2015 Jayco Eagle 314bhds and I want to know exactly what my GCWR will be brand new off the lot, before I load it. then I'll make the return trip once we pack what will stay in the camper. (boys sleeping bag, pots pans utensils, etc.) Any one know what it costs?
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog
16 REPLIES 16

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the nearest CAT scale is either Fort Erie, Canada or Pembroke.
Me? CAT scale less than 2 miles from my house.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the input, I don't need to weigh as i think we're not moving into the TT this year. I think I'll upgrade the truck then find the right TT. We'll stick with the HTT and i'll invest in some heated mattress covers as the biggest complaint is the DW being cold.

Thank you for the input.
2015 Forest River Vibe
daDog

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I take a small plastic stool with me to the CAT scales so I can reach the attendant button. Also, remember to ask them to give you a minute to get back in the truck so your weight will be included. Lastly, take note where your tires are positioned when you do multiple weighs and try to pull up to the same place. It drove me crazy when I used to do the triple weighs for a travel trailer first "with" and then "without" the WDH engaged.

The Total Ticket weight would sometimes be 20 to 40 pounds off and the only difference between the two weighs was on one I had the WDH attached and operational and on the other one, I had it loose and not engaged. No I didn't remove any of the parts.

I expected the Total Ticket weight for both should be the same and all that should have been different would be the amounts on various axles. Whe I asked CAT, they said their is a small percentage of accuracy that can varie between weighs.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
All of this is well and good, but...

WHAT IF YOU GET TO THE SCALES AND FIND OUT YOU ARE GROSSLY AND DANGEROUSLY OVERLOADED?

You were blissfully ignorant on the 40 mile trip to the scales. Then you get there and have a "holy smokes" moment, and discover you are 700 pounds overweight on the truck's rear axle.

Now you're afraid to drive it. What do you do?

drive it, carefully and probably not much over 5 miles an hour under the posted speed limit. I got it there to the scales right? should be able to get it to my destination. I'm a right hand lane driver when I tow. I'm in no hurry. I'm working on the new TV, I won't be camping until May of 2016, so I have some time to upgrade. it's a deal I couldn't pass up. yes cart before the horse.
2015 Forest River Vibe
daDog

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
All of this is well and good, but...

WHAT IF YOU GET TO THE SCALES AND FIND OUT YOU ARE GROSSLY AND DANGEROUSLY OVERLOADED?

You were blissfully ignorant on the 40 mile trip to the scales. Then you get there and have a "holy smokes" moment, and discover you are 700 pounds overweight on the truck's rear axle.

Now you're afraid to drive it. What do you do?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just an FYI, FerrisFamilyof5 has this post going in the TT section. I believe we have gotten them to rethink the size of the new TT.
Weight and length not a good combination for a 1500.

Clicky
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My small town has a feed store with feed mill and a single platform scale that is open 24/7 with no charge for weighing.

I generally weigh on a sunday or after closing hours when their not using the scales.

For weighing just the truck I pull on the scale and stop just before the trucks rear tires reach the scale for front axle weight.
Then all the way on for a gross....then pull forward till the front wheels are off the scale for rear axle weight.

Then I do the same for a truck trailer combo and weigh as each axle hits the scales while pulling on the scale.
Same while pulling off the scales.

Be sure and get your trucks separate front and rear axle weights as a gross weight doesn't tell you if your over a axle/wheel/tire/suspension capacity.

The CAT scale with its separate platforms makes it simple.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
i just did a search and nothing came up, but has anyone taken their rigs to a flying J or other truck stop to weigh their truck/trailer combo? I'm picking up a 2015 Jayco Eagle 314bhds and I want to know exactly what my GCWR will be brand new off the lot, before I load it. then I'll make the return trip once we pack what will stay in the camper. (boys sleeping bag, pots pans utensils, etc.) Any one know what it costs?

Hopefully you are planning on a new 2500/3500 truck. That trailer is quoted at 7710, but will probably be closer to 8200 lbs on the yellow sticker. Your tongue weight will probably be close to 1200lbs when you are loaded, without water.

So your family of 5, hitch, and tongue weight put you over.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We have a "waste transfer station" that our town shares with the neighboring town. If you ask the attendants beforehand about weighing, and when a good slow time is, they are happy to give you weights for free. BUT, it is a simple, single platform, doesn't do separate axles. Something to think about.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
just did mine last month... $10.50
I learned a lot about my rig...
the ask for service buttons are HIGH. (for semi's) exit truck, press button, reenter truck. talk to operator.
they will ask.. if you are private or a business.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I also talked to the people at the counter before weighing. I think it would have taken them a while to notice me if I hadn't. I ended up having to put the car on scale 2 and the trailer on scale 3. Using scales 1 and 2 didn't give a weight for the trailer.

Then I unhooked the trailer and weighed just the car (on scale 2).

The hardest part was jumping up high enough to hit the button without also hitting the sharp metal guard mounted just below it.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Took my rig through the CAT scales but I went in to talk to the counter person first. Very reassuring. Weighed twice, with and without the trailer, $12.50 as I recall. Really easy to do.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
This link to Cat Scales may help
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the "CAT" scales many times. I agree with the method for two ways previously stated but I would make one change based upon my personal experience. I was charged $10 for the first pass weight and then an additional $2.00 for the subsequent weighs. Each time I went they wanted me to come inside after the first weigh and get my "Ticket Number". The for the subsequent re-weighs I was instructed to yell up to the speaker "Re-Weigh for Ticket No.xxxx"

Lastly, for any Travel Trailer owners looking at this message, you need to do 3 weighs (2 for a fifth wheel). For a TT, first pull thru with TT connected and your WDH engaged just like you would be traveling. Then pull around back and disengage the WDH. For the 2nd weigh you will be no-WDH. This second weigh is what will tell you if your WDH is setup right i.e. enough weight moved to the front axle and rear trailer.

The 3rd weigh is the one you do for Truck only. Drop the trailer but keep the wife, kids and stuff in the cab. This 3rd weigh is what's going to let you calculate your tongue weight and % tongue vs. total Trailer weight.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States