cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very new to living in an RV/Trailer

YeeYeeHaircut
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently planning to move into an RV/Trailer and park it at a park that preferably has hookups like power and sewer, and I have some questions about the internet situation and power.

I am on the internet quite a bit, and I use a TV/my Laptop/computer, I'm wondering, do parks allow me to pay for my own modem etc, and hook it to my trailer?

and is the power enough to run say a console, or my devices?

TLDR - Can I do everything I'm doing now in an RV/Camper - Using my centurylink/maybe a spectrum modem I pay for and consoles, and powering devices?

(I dug around on the internet but this is what I'd feel to do is ask professionals or someone who knows more about it. I just wanna be prepared to stay in contact with my long distance friends and still do things with them while off of work over the net etc.)
17 REPLIES 17

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Others have covered internet connectivity well.

If by "power to run your devices" you mean electrical power, then yes--that is more than sufficient for any reasonable "home" technology. Running something akin to a Google server rack is, of course, a slightly different matter.

A 30A RV power connection has a theoretical (nominal) power capacity of 3600 watts; a 50A connection, 12,000 watts. Devices would very likely be no more than a couple hundred watts total, and quite possibly a good bit less. One exception is a laser printer, which uses a fair bit of power for the fuser when it's running (but still well within the power available in a campground--but enough that you may need to pay attention to what other things are running, especially if you have a 30A connection).

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon the park.

Basically the farther out in 'nature' you are, the more difficult it is to get wired internet. And wired internet is always more reliable than anything WiFi over the air solution.

Most RV folks use an over the air situation, connected to a hotspot tied to a major carrier wireless plan. This can vary from barely functional to streaming quality - depending upon how close to cell towers and some other things.

Also, 'Unlimited Data Plans' mean the company will not charge you more money no matter how much data you use. It does not mean that your data rate will not be throttled if you exceed a certain amount of data - ATT, Verison, T-Mobile all do this, and they also impose limits on data transfer rates for companies that resell their service.

Some long term parks had wired cable systems which can provide internet. Not many though. Parks marketed to a mobile RV population seldom go to that expense.

I've seen a few places where long term residents had installed fixed dish satellite internet systems, mostly with good results.

It has to be something you ask about as you look for a 'home'.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're planning to stay permanently in one park, they may allow service from a local cable or fiber Internet provider. The Internet service parks typically provide for itinerant guests is usually pretty marginal at best, and not suited to streaming or other heavy uses. Knowing that, many of us bring our own Internet services along with us as we travel in the form of "hotspots" that receive service from the various cell providers, or use the hotspot feature on our phones. There are various data plans available from all the major carriers with differing data allowances. Unlimited data plans are also available from most carriers, but at a premium price. There are some third-party unlimited services that use the major carriers towers usually wth better pricing, but they tend to not to be as reliable since some are using grey market business plans that can be shut down at any time by their provider. The link below is a good starting point for researching available equipment and plans.

Mobile Internet Resource Center
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate