cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Volunteer camphost needed

Rigdon
Explorer
Explorer
The Helena, Montana BLM is seeking camphost for the 2021 summer season. Host sites have full hook ups . Contact Rocky at RINFANGER@BLM.GOV. if interested.
Steve & Karen
17 REPLIES 17

Pablo_Cook
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
stickdog wrote:

May want to look at that again. We volunteer 8 months per year and always with state or federal agencies.
These are not bartering arrangements. Look under IRS rules for volunteer regulations and you will find something different when volunteering with a non-profit.
If you're trading work for a site with a profit oriented business that is bartering and taxable income.
We have received a stipend from federal agencies and that is a reportable income.

Can't find anything on the IRS site suggesting this and I've come across a few private websites that say the rules are no different.

Do you have a link to the IRS rules you speak of?

Of course, for most people looking to work camp to save (ie: barter) for a site, they aren't making enough for the IRS to care to chase them down. More an issue of flying under the radar as opposed to being strictly within the rules.

Check IRS Pub 15-B, partially quoted below:
Lodging on Your Business Premises
You can exclude the value of lodging you furnish to an
employee from the employee's wages if it meets the following tests.
โ€ข It is furnished on your business premises.
โ€ข It is furnished for your convenience.
โ€ข The employee must accept it as a condition of employment.

Many campgrounds/RV parks get into hot water with the IRS when they have workampers and locals doing the same job. That negates the conditions listed above.

Thanks for the advice and experience, it's valuable to me right now.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
stickdog wrote:

May want to look at that again. We volunteer 8 months per year and always with state or federal agencies.
These are not bartering arrangements. Look under IRS rules for volunteer regulations and you will find something different when volunteering with a non-profit.
If you're trading work for a site with a profit oriented business that is bartering and taxable income.
We have received a stipend from federal agencies and that is a reportable income.

Can't find anything on the IRS site suggesting this and I've come across a few private websites that say the rules are no different.

A non-profit may furnish housing and minimal compensation. Under IRS rules these are non taxable.
Clothing specifically for the job, uniforms, safety equipment are non taxable.

I don't know where you get your information but it certainly isn't from the IRS.

Wife and I are starting our 23 volunteer gig. We each contribute 25 hrs a week. Those hours are valued by the IRS at $27.50, so we are donating $1,375 in value for a FHU site.
Tell me I'm beating the Taxman.
Then there are the 2500 miles we traveled to get here. Now the milage rate for volunteers is $0.14 per mile but then I don't get to take that because I'm a full-time RVer.

We don't do this for a free site. When I was working I wrote a check I didn't have time to volunteer. Now I and the wife have the time and yes we volunteer at places we think will give us an enjoyable time on our off days.

Of course, for most people looking to work camp to save (ie: barter) for a site, they aren't making enough for the IRS to care to chase them down. More an issue of flying under the radar as opposed to being strictly within the rules.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
stickdog wrote:

Check IRS Pub 15-B, partially quoted below:
Lodging on Your Business Premises
You can exclude the value of lodging you furnish to an
employee from the employee's wages if it meets the following tests.
โ€ข It is furnished on your business premises.
โ€ข It is furnished for your convenience.
โ€ข The employee must accept it as a condition of employment.

Many campgrounds/RV parks get into hot water with the IRS when they have workampers and locals doing the same job. That negates the conditions listed above.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œFederal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.โ€œ

You can pay an employee money or you can pay for their selected expenses...itโ€™s still INCOME!

Income is taxable. Accounting 101.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
stickdog wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
the last time we looked into hosting...and it was a while...illinois considered the "free" campsite as taxable income. best to check.

It's not just Illinois. Federal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.

Look up Barter rules with the IRS. You are supposed to estimate the value of the goods and services received and record that as income (minus any allowable deductions).

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
the last time we looked into hosting...and it was a while...illinois considered the "free" campsite as taxable income. best to check.

It's not just Illinois. Federal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.

Look up Barter rules with the IRS. You are supposed to estimate the value of the goods and services received and record that as income (minus any allowable deductions).

LOL, Governments absolutely hate bartering. They get no $$$$. And "estimating value of a benefit given in exchange for labor", leaves a big wide open window for that estimation. I don't know what the current USA estimates are on loss of taxes to barter but I bet it's a BIG number.
2014 Allegro 36LA

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
snip....You are correct though, Rocky never had any say in the important stuff, that was Bullwinkles job.

That is funny stuff right there! ROFLOL

Yes, best one in a while. So sad that many will say "who"?
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
rk911 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
snip....You are correct though, Rocky never had any say in the important stuff, that was Bullwinkles job.

That is funny stuff right there! ROFLOL
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Rigdon
Explorer
Explorer
The BLM gives a free site in a beautiful area. Propane is reimbursed and a reimbursement for lunch on 4 hours or more is paid.
We find it rewarding and it's halfway between Glacier and Yellowstone NP. And most campers are pretty decent folks.
Steve & Karen

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
The camping fees are included for all days I assume. That would equal quite a lot.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
When I campground hosted at a National Park, I got a hat, shirts and jacket, plus full hook ups. I worked 4 days on and had 4 days off. I got paid $15 for each of the days I worked.

Personally I think it is way too much work to be a campground host for free and especially when the job is often 7 days a week.

We've thought about doing hosting and I have to agree with you. I doubt Rocky has any say in the terms of employment

LOL.....Perhaps they should pay 6 figures with healthcare and 8 weeks Vacation?

You are correct though, Rocky never had any say in the important stuff, that was Bullwinkles job.