cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart....."NO......"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Always have seen a bunch of rigs parked (camping) at our local Walmart.

Yesterday there was a crew putting up signs on all the light poles. "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING."
Just thought it was interesting. Seems to be a trend everywhere.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
105 REPLIES 105

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Wal-Mart's, those in populated areas, near private parks,metro areas or even some fulltimers who are abusing a privalige and staying too long, remember no fridges or carpets
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention nearly every freeway entrance that has the width, you can stop and rest for hours or overnight if you want to. Or wherever you spot truckers parked. Never stop on an exit ramp due to the speed of someone exiting...such as a semi that lost their brakes, someone driving impaired, etc.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
I don't know of a single public "rest stop" within 100 miles of where I live. The turn-offs have been torn up, the picnic tables long gone. So if you want to pull over and crash, it became Wallydocking and using private places.

My question is, with Wallydocking on the outs, where do people go to park if tired? If isn't just an issue of being "too cheap to use a CG." Where I live, there is not one single RV park within 100 miles that will not be completely booked for the next month, so "just use a RV park" is not going to happen.

Try this for starters: https://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html?CFC__target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dot.state.tx.us%2Fa...

or this: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/facilities/campsites

or this: ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trv/campgrounds.pdf

As far as EVERY RV park being completely booked... that's a bit of exaggeration.

As we traveled constantly for 16 years we never had a problem finding a public place to stay (nice quiet ones... not WalMarts) or a campground to stay. You have to get off those interstates. There are plenty of little city or county parks or just roadside pull-offs.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
This gets me wondering:

When I was a kid growing up, there were rest stops, picnic areas, turn-offs, and other places for drivers to park. Every road had them, be it a two lane road, four lane place, and so on. If you wanted to crash for the night, you went down a country road, pulled over.

Those disappeared. I don't know of a single public "rest stop" within 100 miles of where I live. The turn-offs have been torn up, the picnic tables long gone. So if you want to pull over and crash, it became Wallydocking and using private places.

My question is, with Wallydocking on the outs, where do people go to park if tired? If isn't just an issue of being "too cheap to use a CG." Where I live, there is not one single RV park within 100 miles that will not be completely booked for the next month, so "just use a RV park" is not going to happen.

I have a feeling that we will see more people just doing what the RV-ers do in Austin during SXSW. They will just park in someone's driveway, plug into the water and electric, and if the cops are called, wait until the owner gives a formal notice of trespass. When this is done, they will drive a block or two, and park in another driveway. Unless there is a "tow away zone" sign, the police won't be able to do anything.

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with the OP that it's a trend. We bought our RV 9 years ago and have made several trips (3-7 months long), mostly in the western states. We are seeing more and more WalMarts discontinue overnight parking. Several places we stayed on the first trip are no longer available now.

And, it really doesn't matter much how many of us are "good guys". It only takes a few "bad guys" to ruin it for all.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
NCC-1701 wrote:
nineoaks2004 wrote:
Seems the local RV parks had raised a ruckus about their businesses losing money.

I have heard of ordinances being made because of complaints from the local RV Parks. Maybe it has an impact on their business, but I wonder just how much. In our case, if we are in "travel" mode and staying on the road until 10PM or later, then getting up and leaving at 5 or 6AM, we're not going to use an RV Park/Campground anyway. If not a Wal-Mart, it will be a Pilot/Flying J, or a Cabelas, or whatever is handy and allows it. If not in that town, then the next one down the road that does. And that town's business that I stay at will get my fuel-up business, maybe an early breakfast or late supper, perhaps a stop at the local grocery store to get some other necessities, etc. I make it a point to spend money where I stop for the night. So if they do it for the RV Parks, they stand more chance of just hurting other local businesses.

Well put and good point.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
Seems the local RV parks had raised a ruckus about their businesses losing money.

I have heard of ordinances being made because of complaints from the local RV Parks. Maybe it has an impact on their business, but I wonder just how much. In our case, if we are in "travel" mode and staying on the road until 10PM or later, then getting up and leaving at 5 or 6AM, we're not going to use an RV Park/Campground anyway. If not a Wal-Mart, it will be a Pilot/Flying J, or a Cabelas, or whatever is handy and allows it. If not in that town, then the next one down the road that does. And that town's business that I stay at will get my fuel-up business, maybe an early breakfast or late supper, perhaps a stop at the local grocery store to get some other necessities, etc. I make it a point to spend money where I stop for the night. So if they do it for the RV Parks, they stand more chance of just hurting other local businesses.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
There has been an RV at our Wal Mart that is taking advantage of the "overnight" parking! It has been there for over a month! Sometimes the slides are out, and something that are in. But I wish they will nip it in the bud before they ruin it for everyone else!

I would assume management has noticed the guy.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
There has been an RV at our Wal Mart that is taking advantage of the "overnight" parking! It has been there for over a month! Sometimes the slides are out, and something that are in. But I wish they will nip it in the bud before they ruin it for everyone else!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
Spotted at a Walmart in Oregon - dozens of brand spanking new RVs on display by the local dealer.

What better area to show RV'S then where you have a large crowd of people.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spotted at a Walmart in Oregon - dozens of brand spanking new RVs on display by the local dealer.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I know going southbound in November 2017.. I 30 and I 20... heading to Texas.

many semi-trailers.. parked on the off ramps (many ramps).. like 10 to 15 semi-trailers..
all idling with lights on before sun-up.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
This is a RV forum therefore we think this is aimed at us,I dont think so, the trucking industry has a huge parking problem they have been passing off to wal-mart and others for years.
Its now come to a head with the E log mandate,commercial drivers must stop when their hours run out ,no ifs ands or buts ,no 'few minutes over' while they look for a spot.
The majors are starting to rent out overnight parking (at truck stops) to assure their drivers dont get caught, this puts small companies and owner operators in a even bigger pickle, thus more and more in retail lots ,and thus more and more signs ,I dont think they are aimed at the RVer.

A good friend runs his familyโ€™s specialty trucking company, all they do is food and pharmaceuticals. Strictly big money commodities.

His slant on this is what he ironically calls the โ€˜Wally Wayโ€™ of doing business. Squeeze every penny out of the cost of operation in order to offer the lowest price to the customer. The problem is that itโ€™s a downward spiral, each company under-cutting the next, lower and lower.

In days gone by the trucking companies had their routes planned out, knew where their drivers had to stop for the day and had their spots all planned out. It was pretty normal, just the way things were done, that a truck would stop sometimes hours before the driver would be out of hours because there was nowhere beyond that to stop.

More aggressive pricing meant no โ€˜deadheadโ€™ miles getting an empty truck back to the yard or the customers location. The truck gets parked where it gets emptied until a back-haul or load to another location can be found.

The result is that trucks are now parked everywhere and anywhere that is within minutes of the driver being out of hours. A favourite lately is the on or off ramps. Itโ€™s not technically the highway, nor is it the cross street either. Itโ€™s a parking โ€˜no mans landโ€™.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Seattle, there are semi industrial parts of town where homeless people park derelict RV's, in several areas they've put 2am to 5am no parking zones to try to eliminate "stealth or not so stealth camping". They tried having areas where homeless could park their RV's, there were some fires, and some issues with drug use and they ran the numbers and decided that for what they could park 20 rvs they could provide shelter for quite few more so they dropped the program.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Use of many commercial parking areas will come to an end in a hurry. Most of the parking lots cannot take the heavy loads on semis. The lots will fall apart!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker