cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart....."NO......"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Always have seen a bunch of rigs parked (camping) at our local Walmart.

Yesterday there was a crew putting up signs on all the light poles. "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING."
Just thought it was interesting. Seems to be a trend everywhere.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
105 REPLIES 105

soren
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
This is a RV forum therefore we think this is aimed at us,I dont think so, the trucking industry has a huge parking problem they have been passing off to wal-mart and others for years.
Its now come to a head with the E log mandate,commercial drivers must stop when their hours run out ,no ifs ands or buts ,no 'few minutes over' while they look for a spot.
The majors are starting to rent out overnight parking (at truck stops) to assure their drivers dont get caught, this puts small companies and owner operators in a even bigger pickle, thus more and more in retail lots ,and thus more and more signs ,I dont think they are aimed at the RVer.

I've started to notice how obvious of an issue this could become. It's now more common to see big rigs parked in really odd places, in the middle of the day, just burning up the clock.The other day I'm at a local grocery store, mid-afternoon, on a weekend. The place is very busy, and the lot is needlessly clogged by a guy with a flatbed full of structural steel, and another hauling round bales. Both idling, with the sleeper curtains shut. I'm guessing neither were waiting to unload at the back of the store.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
lakeside013104 wrote:
Yes, and the sad fact is these people will never read our comments about their despicable behavior because they probably do not have IQ enough to read what has been written about them.....

Lakeside

I donโ€™t know. I saw at least one person on here who thought temporarily using (aka stealing) storesโ€™ merchandise was ok. Probably not an IQ thing but more of a bent moral compass needle.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
This is a RV forum therefore we think this is aimed at us,I dont think so, the trucking industry has a huge parking problem they have been passing off to wal-mart and others for years.
Its now come to a head with the E log mandate,commercial drivers must stop when their hours run out ,no ifs ands or buts ,no 'few minutes over' while they look for a spot.
The majors are starting to rent out overnight parking (at truck stops) to assure their drivers dont get caught, this puts small companies and owner operators in a even bigger pickle, thus more and more in retail lots ,and thus more and more signs ,I dont think they are aimed at the RVer.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
A few years ago I was talking to a guy in a Class C at a rest area. He said he'd been traveling 6 weeks and always stayed in Walmarts. They were traveling the US all summer and planned to Walmart it the entire summer. He hadn't no plans to stay in a regular campground. I asked him how he managed resupply of water and dumping sewer and gray water. He told me Walmarts have outdoor water faucets for watering plants. At night he pulls up to the faucet and fills.

He dumps the black and gray water in a ditch before he leaves the Walmart and moves.

Can't blame Walmarts for prohibiting overnighters.

X10
YUP, And THIS is EXACTLY why more and more Walmarts are closing the door on allowing overnight parking, because of people like this that make a Walmart their destination CG. :R:R

Yes, and the sad fact is these people will never read our comments about their despicable behavior because they probably do not have IQ enough to read what has been written about them.....

Lakeside

People like that aren't stupid, they just think they're special. Rules are for others.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
A few years ago I was talking to a guy in a Class C at a rest area. He said he'd been traveling 6 weeks and always stayed in Walmarts. They were traveling the US all summer and planned to Walmart it the entire summer. He hadn't no plans to stay in a regular campground. I asked him how he managed resupply of water and dumping sewer and gray water. He told me Walmarts have outdoor water faucets for watering plants. At night he pulls up to the faucet and fills.

He dumps the black and gray water in a ditch before he leaves the Walmart and moves.

X10
YUP, And THIS is EXACTLY why more and more Walmarts are closing the door on allowing overnight parking, because of people like this that make a Walmart their destination CG. :R:R

Lakeside

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
drsteve wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
free radical wrote:

Nothing imo ๐Ÿ™‚
If the product is in good shape...if its damaged WM shouldnt take it back..

I hope the "Renters" are in line to be the second buyer of tents, sleeping bags, and lanterns that the fellow "Used on Sunday and returned on Monday". Maybe I am old-fashioned.

A lot of these returned items do not make it back to the shelves due to missing or damaged packaging, etc. So the store passes the cost on to the rest of us, just like they do with shoplifting. These "renters" are no better than thieves.

Those items end up in the dumpster out back and Walmart takes a profit and loss write off. If the lowlife sleaze pulls that use and return scam enough, and does not pay solely with cash, eventually he'll get a surprise one day. They all track such things. I know people who played the BS with both Lowes and Home Depot and were blacklisted. I am willing to bet Walmart also has methods in place.

Some people kill me. I pride myself on perfecting the art of being a cheapskate, but come on.
I believe the open items are sent to a third party clearing house that sells them on sites like ebay at a substantial discount. I bought a returned snow blower at Home Depot for $100. that had been $400.

Personally I like the small mom and pop campgrounds where I have electricity for A/C. Most are only around $25. While I tend to be frugal I don't see that as a major expense.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:

X10

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
free radical wrote:

Nothing imo ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope the "Renters" are in line to be the second buyer of tents, sleeping bags, and lanterns that the fellow "Used on Sunday and returned on Monday". Maybe I am old-fashioned.

A lot of these returned items do not make it back to the shelves due to missing or damaged packaging, etc. So the store passes the cost on to the rest of us, just like they do with shoplifting. These "renters" are no better than thieves.

Those items end up in the dumpster out back and Walmart takes a profit and loss write off. If the lowlife sleaze pulls that use and return scam enough, and does not pay solely with cash, eventually he'll get a surprise one day. They all track such things. I know people who played the BS with both Lowes and Home Depot and were blacklisted. I am willing to bet Walmart also has methods in place.

Some people kill me. I pride myself on perfecting the art of being a cheapskate, but come on.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
free radical wrote:

Nothing imo ๐Ÿ™‚

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
gee, most of those blacktop boondockers I have seen at Wallyworld are traveling in RVs that cost a lot more than mine. perhaps they overspent on the purchase and have to Passport america and free load instead.
bumpy

I canโ€™t speak for the others, but I โ€˜blacktop boondockโ€™ all the time, it leaves me more disposable cash to spend on my airplanes.

As for โ€œfree loadโ€ I think your math must be off, I rarely get out of either Wally World or CB for much less than a basic c/g costs.
This makes no sense, if you rarely get out "for much less than a basic c/g costs", how does that "leave me more disposable cash to spend on my airplanes."? Where does any savings come from?

This makes perfect sense.

If I spend $50 on food, drink and supplies at Wally World or CB or Cabellaโ€™s or wherever, I have goods in return for my money.

If I spend $50 on a site at a c/g I get utilities I donโ€™t need, amenities I wonโ€™t use and have to drive off the highway a distance, register, find my site and get settled in, undoing all of that in the morning. All while wasting time that I could be use putting miles behind me instead.

Then I have $0 value for my $50, still have to buy the supplies I would have bought had I stayed at Wally World and over the course of a few days travelling probably wasted 1/2 a days travel time.

The other aspect of it to me is just being considerate to others. I rarely get off the road before 10pm and Iโ€™m usually rolling before 7am. Why would I disturb other campers who are probably on vacation when itโ€™s actually less convenient to me to do so?

THAT explains it all very nicely! Even though I have never overnighted in a store parking lot. I have, however, spent a night or three at truck stops or freeway rest areas.
As for "blacktop boondockers", there is an RV park here that I have driven by that appears to be ALL blacktop! Roads, sites, walking paths, all blacktop. Very little grass and very few trees. I would never pay to stay there. I looked at it once, many years ago, before we settled down again, and kept going. We stayed several months at an RV park a little further from the hospital that had grass and trees, and very reasonable monthly rates.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

Nothing imo ๐Ÿ™‚

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Then I have $0 value for my $50, still have to buy the supplies I would have bought had I stayed at Wally World and over the course of a few days travelling probably wasted 1/2 a days travel time.

The money that the campground charges is not "wasted". It is compensation for someone willing to build, own, and operate a campground that is available when "we" want or need one. Sure, I have overnighted in parking lots. I also enjoy RVing in campgrounds. I am glad we have both options.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
gee, most of those blacktop boondockers I have seen at Wallyworld are traveling in RVs that cost a lot more than mine. perhaps they overspent on the purchase and have to Passport america and free load instead.
bumpy

I canโ€™t speak for the others, but I โ€˜blacktop boondockโ€™ all the time, it leaves me more disposable cash to spend on my airplanes.

As for โ€œfree loadโ€ I think your math must be off, I rarely get out of either Wally World or CB for much less than a basic c/g costs.
This makes no sense, if you rarely get out "for much less than a basic c/g costs", how does that "leave me more disposable cash to spend on my airplanes."? Where does any savings come from?

This makes perfect sense.

If I spend $50 on food, drink and supplies at Wally World or CB or Cabellaโ€™s or wherever, I have goods in return for my money.

If I spend $50 on a site at a c/g I get utilities I donโ€™t need, amenities I wonโ€™t use and have to drive off the highway a distance, register, find my site and get settled in, undoing all of that in the morning. All while wasting time that I could be use putting miles behind me instead.

The other aspect of it to me is just being considerate to others. I rarely get off the road before 10pm and Iโ€™m usually rolling before 7am. Why would I disturb other campers who are probably on vacation when itโ€™s actually less convenient to me to do so?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
One guy on YouTube referred to "Walmart Rental" as the source for his weekend camping needs. Buy it on Thursday, use it, return it on Monday. What is wrong with this picture?

Nothing imo ๐Ÿ™‚
But that does beg the question: Is Walmart now supposed to sell this product as "Used", and how do they price it that way? And where is the "Used" department at the local Walmart?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"