cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

warning lights after towing car. Help!! (pic)

lauravanb
Explorer
Explorer

The above picture is the warning lights that are on in my car after towing it. I towed it on a 5 hour trip, 2 wheels down on a tow dolly. It is front wheel drive, had the key on accessory position the whole time, parking brake was off. It was driven once we got to our destination, with no error lights. These only appeared after coming back. The only thing I did wrong was I forgot to disengage the parking brake for the first half of the way down the ramps when I unloaded. But these lights were already on before I backed it down anyway. I had only turned it on to disconnect the safety chains underneath, it was not on during towing. I can't think of what I did wrong! And I'm not quite sure what this means for my car!
33 REPLIES 33

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
Disconnect the battery, then reconnect after 30 seconds. Drive the car, If the lights remain off there is nothing to worry about.

x2
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Fancy! Thanks for the explanation.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Hill start assist? That's what that is?

Detects if you are stopped on a steep incline and automatically applies the brakes while the engine builds revs, so you don't roll backwards while trying to start forward. Eliminates the need to use your left foot on the brake.

My Dodge Charger and Dodge Ram both had/have the feature, even works while towing - kinda handy.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, they are all interconnected.

Heck, on my new Chevy, a failed fuel injector caused it to disable ABS, traction control, stability control, hill start assist, grade braking, remote start, and something else that I can't remember right now. All it was was a lousy fuel injector.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Hill start assist? That's what that is?
It's his Super Power!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
concur with the other posts ... ABS sensor malfunction (or just disconnected) has disabled the ABS system, the traction control system (yellow swerving) and the hill-start assist system (red car on an incline)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the battery, then reconnect after 30 seconds. Drive the car, If the lights remain off there is nothing to worry about.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Try driving around the block, just pulling into the driveway is not enough for the computer to reestablish a baseline. When getting my Expedition smog checked on the dyno (front wheels stationary, rear on the rollers), they had to disable traction control. When done my dash was lit up like a Christmas tree! They said it was because of the errors caused by the front wheels being stationary and rear moving, and to bring it back if they did not go out. Within a mile of driving they all went out.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing with my truck and when I started driving it the lights corrected and went out. Could also just disconnect battery and it will reset.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it was in accessory and not in run? This will trigger all the brake system lights shown because of the wheel speed difference. Did you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if it clears? If not, a sensor wire fault is very likely.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
your traction control has lost a signal to a sensor is the problem.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
The "swerving car" one is stability control, I think. Don't know what the tilty one next to it is though.

Not RECOMMENDING this, but we get the ABS light from time to time for no apparent reason (even dealership can't figure out why). We disconnect the battery and when we connect it back up, no light....until next time.

Doing so wipes out the clock and radio settings though.

EDIT: That other one might be a hill descent control indicator light. Never heard of it. Fancy!
It's his Super Power!

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also there should be a button on the dash that turns the traction control on or off. ECS? Look for that and see if its on or off..

Umm isnt the sportage an AWD car?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fuses for the abs. The abs abd traction control are related..

I cant see the other red symbol clearly..

Yes as stated check behind each front wheel for a disconnected wire..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lauravanb
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2013 KIA sportage. The brake was on while I was unloading the car from the ramps, maybe rolled 12 inches back or so before I realized it and disengaged the brake. It was the second time I towed it. And yes the lights stay on while driving. I only backed it off the dolly and then pulled it into my driveway so fat, I'm afraid to drive it. But they did not turn off when I had it on and in drive while parking it.