cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Was I Wrong? (Long Story)

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a wonderful week of camping and had one slight altercation with a neighbor. I'm curious to see what others might have to say.

This pic was taken from our site and as you might be able to tell, the campground road goes from left to right before it makes a 90 degree turn to the left. The girl on the bike is on the road and about to go past the picnic table, fire pit, tree and small shrubs before hitting the 90 degree right hand turn and come past our site. There is a vacant site on the inside part of the turn as you can see and that's who we had a problem with. I took the picture after they left.

It was a couple in their late 50's, early 60's with 2 small dogs. All week long they would walk their dogs either on the vacant sites next to them, using them as a doggy latrine or across the street where you can see the woods in my picture. We would walk our dogs in the wooded section behind the girl on the bike as instructed by the campground, much like the couple did when they didn't use vacant sites as a latrine.

For 3 or 4 days there was never a problem. Everyone went about their camping trips peacefully and enjoyably. My family had two campers there and luckily we had sites next to each other. Everything was going great!

One night at about 11pm I take one of our dogs to that grassy/woody section. I'm standing at about where that bike is but I'm actually behind the bike, on the grassy/woody area. I see the guy I mentioned above about 150' away from me down the road to the left behind some trees and bushes and I hear him saying things to his dog. The doggy area is about 150' long and about 10' deep as there is a chain link fence to prevent things from getting in and out of the park. I keep my distance and don't venture closer. We were basically at opposite ends of the 150' long doggy area. The dog I had at the time does his business as soon as I bring him to that area so I start and end the dog walk in under 2 minutes.

I go back to the camper and bring our second dog to the same area and I can still see the guy in the same area down the road and still talking to his dog. Again, we are at opposite ends of the doggy area. I'm minding my own business and staying just about as far away as possible in the area where we were supposed to bring dogs.

All of a sudden I hear a voice down the road from the guy walking his dog down the road. It was not a pleasant tone and it was not an angry tone but it was kind of an annoyed tone. It's after 11pm and he's yelling.

"Um, can you go walk your dog somewhere else? I'm trying to train a 3 month old puppy over here and your dogs keep distracting her."

My dogs weren't barking, they weren't growling, they weren't doing anything other than sniffing and peeing in the designated doggy area just about as far away from this guy as possible. We have two dogs and I walk them separately and it takes less than 5 minutes from the time I grab the first leash to the time I'm hanging up the second leash.

So I answer back, "I'm just trying to walk my dogs just like you are."

He comes back with, "I know, but can't you just walk your dogs over on your site or somewhere else because I have a 3 month old puppy I'm training. Can you show some courtesy!?" All the time in an annoyed tone and yelling at 11pm.

So I reply with, "Dude, I'm just trying to walk my dog just like you are in the designated area instructed by the campground. That's all I'm doing."

He then says something else about my manners and tells me to walk my dog somewhere else. I say "OK, I will" but I don't move.

At this point he picks up his dog and walks over to my face complaining about how I'm not listening and how I'm not being courteous. He tells me that I've been bringing my dogs over to his site all week to pee and poop. He was claiming that the other side of the road was his site too and I respond that no, I'm not bringing my dogs over to his site because HIS site is on the other side of the road with his camper, picnic table and fire pit and that I'm bringing my dog over to the designated doggy area as instructed by the campground as was everyone else in our loop. We always clean up after our dogs too so it's not like we left anything in the wooded area.

At this point he walks past me and he begins to walk right to my dad's site 30' away and says that he's going to bring both his dogs over to our site so they can relieve themselves by our picnic table. He even threatened to go get his BIGGER dog which was still only 20 lbs. ๐Ÿ™‚

I followed him that short distance and just as he got to my parents picnic table my brother heard the commotion and walked out of his camper at the next site. I call my brother's name and say, "Do you mind giving me a hand over here? This gentleman just threatened to bring both his dogs over to Dad's site and have them poop and pee all over.

My brother and him basically have the same conversation that I had with him, (keep in mind that he is currently on our site standing next to our picnic table), when a few seconds later my Dad comes out from his camper right there and asks what is going on. At this point the guy leaves and says something about how he is so happy he is packing up and leaving tomorrow and that it wasn't anything worth arguing about. We all went to bed after that and he was gone 12 hours later.

So what is your opinion on all of this? I wasn't doing anything other than simply walking my dogs in the designated doggy area and keeping my distance from him and his dog the whole time.
69 REPLIES 69

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
The guy was unreasonable and to top it off, knows NOTHING about dog training.

The best place to train a dog is an area WITH distractions. It teaches the dog to ignore them and concentrate on the handler.

Depending on the breed, 3 months may be a little early for training other than the basics.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
My opinion is dogs should be banned from ALL campgrounds. Reason is situations that develop such as stated here.

Don't blame the dog for the handler not being able to control the situation!!!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom N wrote:
My opinion is dogs should be banned from ALL campgrounds. Reason is situations that develop such as stated here.

Actually, if the goal is to prevent situations that develop such as stated here, the best course of action is to ban PEOPLE from ALL campgrounds. I bet a campground full of dogs could overcome these situations without having to;

1. call the authorities;
2. complain to management;
3. complain on the internet.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I have done training with my dog at campgrounds before... They are full of distractions, but I knew that before starting. Sounds like the camper in question had unreasonable expectations.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
it was ok for you to be annoyed at the guy's cranky, demanding behavior, but it isn't a big enough deal to fret over later and you certainly don't have to ask someone else if you did right or wrong. just get over it and move on. you'll encounter other cranks and grumps along the way.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have spent their whole lives being loudmouth bullies and regretfully have never had people stand up to them. You did the right thing (who wants to get into a fight at a campground) . Contacting the campground management would have been the next step. At any rate, at least the ne'er-do-well left shortly later.
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
You were not in the wrong, but in this country today, I'm not sure I would engage anyone that sounded aggravated and unreasonable. Not to excuse him, but he was probably aggravated that the pup wouldn't poop and pee at 11pm so he could go to sleep and he took it out on you. I may have commented that I know what it's like to try and keep housebreaking a puppy while traveling (because I'm still doing it)and say I'd only be a minute more then scram.

The guy was rude and unreasonable, but he could have also become dangerous. Nothing you said or did will change this man's behavior or personality going forward. So it's a lost cause and could have escalated into something you didn't want or expect. You just don't know with people anymore and I will go out of my way to avoid it.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first time he yelled over I would have said "OK I just need a minute. Don't yell, it's quiet hour." Then left after the dog did what he needed to do. It's laughable that folks think they are entitled to privacy in a public place. Like talking on a cell phone and not expecting anyone to overhear the conversation.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I believe you are younger than many of us on here and also relatively new at RVing.

For some reason you appear to have the need to prove yourself in the right and get the endorsement of others on the forum. Here is what I would have done based on years of life experience.

Ignore the fool. I don't carry on loud conversations after dark from long distances. I would not have replied in the first place.

If the fool chose to escalate the situation and approach me things would have changed. At that point he would be an aggressor and I would respond appropriately. If he became threatening my response would probably be to his detriment.

You escalated the situation by responding and arguing. In the right or not, you escalated the situation. I know, you're young.

You should have ignored him and let him think what he wants. It is not your job to educate the fools of this world and you will find it an impossible task anyhow.

cm11599ps wrote:

...if I just walked away then I would have just been pissed at myself for bowing down to the jerk. I pick and choose my battles and this was one I selected.

Then you need to grow up.

Yes, I probably am younger than most members here but I came here looking for advice and suggestions. I did not come on here to bash the individual or say "Hey everyone, look at what I did to this guy!" I truly and genuinely came here looking for advice because even though it was a minor altercation a few days ago, it's still bothering me. It would also have bothered me MORE if I had walked away.

I did not yell, raise my voice, walk up to him or do anything but mind my own business and state the facts in a normal speaking volume.

Also, after the second time he said something to me I did ignore him and turned my back. It's at that point that he picked up the dog and approached me from behind as I had my back to him and was looking at my dog. He came up because I wasn't responding and even said so. Sure, I could have just walked away but my dog had to pee as well and I was tired and going to bed as soon as we got back.

Normally I would have walked away but this guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm prolly older than you but still haven't stopped questioning to self and others why oh why I'm surrounded by so many ijits who often procreate thus creating another generation. If he came on my site I'd respond, if he said whatever from somewhere else I'd let him mouth off w/o comment. The fact that he made a point of stating he was leaving the next day speaks volumes to me.

Nope, you really can't fathom the minds and reasoning of all:).

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't have done a thing besides tell him to f#*k off.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the OP's response was appropriate, he showed more restraint than the chucklehead deserved. Once you walk away from a confrontation and the other party continues to pursue the issue, especially if they do so in your face all of the platitudes about let it go are worth squat. Everyone is responsible for their actions but suffering fools gladly is not part of my equation.

As Always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:R

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have given the guy a bit of leeway. I remember trying to convince a puppy to go pee late at night when I just want to go to bed - after about 20 minutes of standing/walking around trying to get puppy to focus on peeing rather than the leaf, plant, bug, shadow, tail, etc., a person can get rather irritated. Add to that being in a new place (with new smells, sights and other distractions). Then someone comes over to that area with his dog, distracts puppy once again, leaves and you think puppy's gotta pee any time now, and then this person comes back over a second time with a dog and you're back to distracted puppy and another 20 minutes of waiting for the pee.

That's not to say the guy was right in his behavior, but rather that I would have excused it in that instance.

As for hindsight advice, maybe it would be easier to take both dogs at once and limit the amount of time you're having to spend in communal areas with people and dogs who may not be what you expect or appreciate. That's what I do - I take both dogs together and spend 5 minutes, instead of taking them separately and spending 10 minutes. Less time to get irritated, offended, pissed, disgusted, etc. with other people.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
well I only got about half way thru your saga but I would have told him to shove it.
bumpy

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
You may be young, but some of us older folks would have struggled to show a great deal of restraint as well. It's not easy no matter one's age. Some people are just a**holes and we males have egos that don't necessarily soften with age.