cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing /waxing

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
While in TX this winter, a couple told us they had just had their 38 ft. fiver washed for $104.00. We just took ours to a new truck wash facility and had ours washed and waxed for $54.00 and they did a fine job. Same size. What are your experiences? Just curious.
20 REPLIES 20

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Just had my wife wash and wax the 5er with Mcquires cleaner wax 50 and it only took her two days to do the job. She is getting older and slowing down some but it is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of trailer maintenance as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are overly sensitive, and thereโ€™s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

She had to take a break when she was only half-finished washing and waxing the 5th Wheel. I tried not to make a scene. Iโ€™m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. Iโ€™m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging girlfriend or wife because of this post, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.
RERUN! This post appears in just about every thread concerning washing/waxing - don't fall for it! CLICKY
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Had our journey 40u hand washed and hand waxed $4.25 / ft.. SPI.TX.
Here in N.Ft.Worth &10..00/ ft.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've used truck wash, hand wash and hand wax. A couple of years ago I found dry wash. It goes on very easily and comes off easy. It will not scratch even with the trailer being somewhat dirty. I have a long applicator designed to apply polymer which keeps from climbing ladders. It leaves the unit beautiful and if bugs are not baked on will take them off. You do have to also use lint free cloths.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Just had my wife wash and wax the 5er with Mcquires cleaner wax 50 and it only took her two days to do the job. She is getting older and slowing down some but it is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of trailer maintenance as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are overly sensitive, and thereโ€™s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

She had to take a break when she was only half-finished washing and waxing the 5th Wheel. I tried not to make a scene. Iโ€™m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. Iโ€™m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging girlfriend or wife because of this post, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

That sounds like the way my wife got the job done. It only took me a week to get out of the hospital, and after that I decided to help by holding the hose. She seems a lot happier now:B

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Just hand washed and waxed mine, yesterday. Spent all day at it and I wouldn't do it for that price on anybody else's rig.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
kroghville wrote:
While in TX this winter, a couple told us they had just had their 38 ft. fiver washed for $104.00. We just took ours to a new truck wash facility and had ours washed and waxed for $54.00 and they did a fine job. Same size. What are your experiences? Just curious.

I know I wouldn't use a commercial truck wash for my RV, especially the one I have now. Many years ago I worked for an outfit where it was our responsibility to keep our trucks clean, however we choose. Most of us were too cheap to pay for a place like Blue Beacon. The one guy that did, after a couple of years the graphics on his truck (and his ONLY) had faded badly. The company simply had the truck re-done so it looked good again.

That did it for me, I wouldn't say I'd never go there, I just wouldn't take anything I owned there. Just sayin, maybe they use less harsh chemicals now, I don't know but I'd rather do it myself or have somebody hand wax it for me. Just my two cents ....

Dan

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Prospector wrote:

Great advice! I`m sure you just helped out a bunch of us guys?!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I washed, and waxed mine (28') week before last for 1/2 can of wax, and 6 hours. Could have been quicker. But I wasn't in a hurry.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just paid last week for a hand wash, and hand wax including the roof for $300. 35ft Winebago MH
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
kroghville wrote:
Rig was not hand waxed. It was spray waxed.

I understand now; hand wax is a long and tiring process.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
Rig was not hand waxed. It was spray waxed.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
Local High School cheerleaders held a fund raiser in an old K-Mart parking lot and wanted to charge me $20 to wash my rig.

They did such a good job I paid them $40.00.

I bet they were cute too.

Mike
... and wearing bikinis.

I may be older than dirt but I'm not dead ...
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Had Grandson wash my 34 footer including roof for $25.00 Took little more than an hour.
charles weidman