cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington State parks over crowding

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Today As I returned to my Island, the traffic was horrible, traffic was at a stand still for 5 miles either side of the Deception Pass State Park, simply because the parking area for viewing the pass from the bridge was full and cars were stopped waiting for a car to leave the lot so they could turn in.
Normally my commute from Burlington to Oak Harbor is about 45 minutes, today, 2 hours.

Rant over .
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
49 REPLIES 49

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We know Deception Pass and Whidbey Island and hear what you are saying. It can be a real challenge. One of the major north south routes through BC goes past our front door, it is 4 lane south but the two lane to the north is gridlock this time of year. Sometimes hard to get a break getting on and off the highway, I just have to be patient unlike the biker I witnessed yesterday. He was looking for a place to die.:R

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GordonThree wrote:
Wish some of this much talked cheap gas would find its way here.

Cheap is relative. We're still the better part of $3 here, but back in bum fark Missouri last month gas was under $2.
Of course the avg wage there is probably $10 an hour and here minimum wage is $15 in Seattle and the teamsters are gonna strike because they're only making like $34 an hour on their check.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The problem in Deception park is that drivers will set in the highway and wait for a parking space at the viewing area. going south the drivers stop at the end of the bridge waiting to turn right into the parking lot, when it is full and there is no space for them. Going north the same thing happens drivers will set in the highway and wait until there is an opening in the parking lot. This backs up traffic for miles on a very busy road.
Yesterday the lot was so full cars could not back out of their parking spaces to leave, absolutely grid lock.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
We wondered where everyone was, we made the best time ever from home (Edmonds) to the inlaws (Bremerton) and home again. 1 Hr 45 minutes each way.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I think alot more people are discovering how much fun camping is

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I wish the cheap fuel was in Eastern Washington. We are still $260 to $2.90 for regular!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Wish some of this much talked cheap gas would find its way here.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Durb wrote:
Both Oregon and Washington are suffering from the same three maladies: Cheap fuel is increasing elective driving, In migration is greatly increasing the amount of cars and other vehicles, political refusal to build additional roads.

Ah but we're going to pay $53Billion for a toy train set.
That will solve everything :R

Been commuting to Bothell this year and I firmly believe the traffic is noticeably worse every few months. Eliminating traffic or at least easing it is a lost cause here. Period.

I'm in the infrastructure business. Manage work for a large Contractor here. Sort of in touch with WSDOTs plan and it won't allievieate traffic. Maybe help stave off our race for the worst traffic in the country, but that's all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
It has gotten a lot worse the last couple years, now traffic backs up through Mount Vernon on I-5.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the cheap gas prices and summer have joined forces to make your traffic situation.

20 years ago I lived in Lynnwood and worked in Wenatchee and every weekend I would drive home on HWY 2 and there would be a long line of campers heading east every Friday night. No problem for me going west. Sunday night I would head east and the same long line of campers was heading west, a solid line of mostly stopped trucks and cars from Gold bar all the way to Monroe.

It was a similar time of low unemployment and cheap gas prices. Careful what you wish for I guess.

Now I am in the stinking desert where there is no traffic. Better traffic and weather but I miss civilization.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Durb wrote:
Both Oregon and Washington are suffering from the same three maladies: Cheap fuel is increasing elective driving, In migration is greatly increasing the amount of cars and other vehicles, political refusal to build additional roads.

That I and Pierce County voted AGAINST, yet we are stuck with it and it will do absolutely nothing to ease our traffic issues...

Not so sure about this whole "cheap gas" thing either... Sure, I guess it's better than the $4/gallon we endured back a few years ago, but gas is always my biggest expense just to go camping for a long weekend...

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
One of the reasons we chose Camano Island, to live, over Anacortes and Whidbey.
The traffic both ways is just terrible.

You chose to live where the traffic is just terrible bothways:?:E

Tinbender

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons we chose Camano Island, to live, over Anacortes and Whidbey.
The traffic both ways is just terrible.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes