cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water from RV

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you or not drink water from the RV water system,clean sanitized?
47 REPLIES 47

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We drink from the tank and I do sanitize annually. I'm not sure why folks are reluctant to sanitize. It costs next to nothing, takes very little time (I do it as I'm prepping and restocking the trailer) and while it may be unlikely, if you DO get sick from stuff growing in the tank, it can be a VERY bad day.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tank cleaned and only filtered water allowed into tank plus a .05 filter under sink for tap and ice maker.
Always use a little of the chlorine sold at CW and elsewhere for fresh water when a tank sits a day or two.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, we use the water for everything. Have not hit an area yet with bad water, but I'm sure there are some out there. If the water smelled or didn't taste good we would buy bottled, but haven't had to yet. We have sanatized our tank 3-4 times in 6 years. Once when purchased and after that only if we noticed anything that seemed off. We did run all summer on well water at a forest campground and then onto city water. Back to using tank a few weeks later and we had green slime water. Had to sanatize/shock everything including the water hose.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I Use the tank water. My DW will use it for everything except drinking.
She prefers bottled water.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
We drink from our tank.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
In my boating days, there was not a choice. If the water was suspect in any way, I would put about a tablespoon of bleach in the tank when we filled up. I used a charcoal filter for drinking water, which eliminated any chlorine taste. Never have had a problem with water from a tank. You just need to know the quality of the water you are using and take appropriate measures.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
To drink or not to drink, that is the question. To enjoy the water that comes forth from mother earth and then treated is like the nectar of the gods. Yes we do.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We get all of our water directly from Hong Kong Harbor. So I installed this system in our storage bay......:B

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use it for everything as others have stated. I fill the tank from trusted sources and only drain it at the end of our season. We do bring water from home in gallon jugs for our coffee but do not buy bottled water.
I sanitize every spring which may be overkill from what I see here but it eases my mind.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
For cooking and ice I do but use Arrowhead water bottles for drinking, cold from fridge. No fear however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sanitize with diluted bleach every spring. We do run drinking/cooking water through a Brita even though I also have a filter on the fresh water fill. It's more about impurities that anything else.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Sanitize once when we buy and then never again. We use the water for everything. Sometimes the water at campgrounds has chlorine in it, does that count as sanitizing?

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the water from the potable water tank for 41 years without any ill effects.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Sanitized the tank when we bought the MH five years ago. Have only drained it when winterizing. Have not re-sanitized it. The MH does not get used full time. We use it for 2 - 4 months and then store it for 2 - 4 months.

I do use a three filter set up which has a charcoal filter, a sediment filter and one other that I forgot. Mainly went to this set up because the water in the SW is hard and has a lot of calcium that leaves spots on the dishes.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I drink and cook with it. I fill the tank without a filter unless the local water is weird, like tannins or heavy sulphur content.

Sanitize once a season after dewinterizing.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed