cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water from RV

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you or not drink water from the RV water system,clean sanitized?
47 REPLIES 47

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
All the time. Sanitize the systems once a year and filter the water going into the tank with this filter.
Just a tip always taste the water before filling your tank some water tastes horrible and you do not want to contaminate your tank with bad tasting water.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We use a sediment filter and a charcoal filter. Then we feed the filtered water into a water softener. We have a Y where we can take the water out after the filters and before the water softener and that is the water we drink. So far, the water has always been fine to drink at the places we have been. We can always resort to bottled water to drink, if we need to. We are considering staying at an RV park where they tell you that there water is VERY hard and does not taste every good so we will show up with plenty of water in our water tank and not hook up to their water at all.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

ldonabed
Explorer
Explorer
We don't drink the onboard water. I'm afraid the little bit water that may have been in the tank will be funky after a few months of sitting. Plus I feel guilty for wasting the water... We buy a few gallon jugs of water at the beginning of our trips & refill those jugs as needed at the water kiosks that you can find in front of a lot of grocery stores (usually for about .35/gallon). We'll reuse them a few times, then buy new ones.
And now that we store our 5er in another town it would be difficult to sanitize the tank.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted in other areas as well. YEP, we use it just like at home. She don't drink it cause of the taste, chlorine that is. We fill with city water and any water we hook up too. Yes i use a filter when hooked up, even at home, just because it will also remove any little sand particles that are found in our water. Remember the city source is safe. We use our unit monthly and only about once per year, only due to my OCD i put about a couple ounces of bleach, this is basically if we don't use it for more than a month, fill that tank and run all the fixtures. then after a day, i drain all and refill, then drain again and refill. We are now on the road and have been gone almost a week, filled up before we left, used some on the road, then hooked up at an RV park, hooked up with filter and now dry camping on the way home which will take about 3 days. when home, we will flush and fill and ready ourselves for the next trip. Go ahead, sanitize, flush it, fill it up, flush it again and use it and enjoy. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"But some have heavily chlorinated water, so we'll use bottled water for coffee, drinking, or making ice cubes."

Mbopp, any good bourbon will counter bad ice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"What makes the tank any different than the 50 year old pipes coming into your house"
SCVJeff, Los Angelinos would love to have fresh water pipes that were only 50 years old. Father Serra put in most of Los Angeles' pipes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We full time and have seen some pretty funky campground water, so we filter the bejeezus out of our water.

We also treat the water tank with bleach at least twice a year.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It depends. Some cg's we go to have good water so no problem there. But some have heavily chlorinated water, so we'll use bottled water for coffee, drinking, or making ice cubes.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
What makes the tank any different than the 50 year old pipes coming into your house?

No air in the pipes.
really? What about all the oxygen constantly refreshed by the water itself? Why do you think pipes rust from the inside> out?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
My two centavos:

I will drink the water from my tank, after I sanitize it with a round of bleach, then rinse it.

However, for a good chunk of the year in the winter, I move my RV to a campsite and leave it there for 4-5 months. So, I leave the tanks empty. During this, I use bottled water for everything.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
We use the tank water for everything. In a B, with the small tank, usually the water does not sit for long. But if it does, and acquires a bit of a stale taste, we usually have on hand 1-2 bottles of the cheapest bottled water there is.

Why people fear their water, in a country with the safest water in the world, I don't know.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cleaned and sanitized, sure. But were almost always on city water and we carry little in the tank when traveling.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We don't drink the coach tank water per se as I buy bottle water to keep in the fridge and we just grab a bottle when we want it. We certainly use our tank water to make coffee and for cooking, etc., and we use the ice cubes from the freezer icemaker.

Our coach has a fairly sophisticated water filtering system and the fridge has a filter of it's own. We have something like 5 filters in the water bay and I have them changed about every 6 months. The fridge alert system lets me know when to change the filter (about once a year).

The way our coach is set-up, we only pull water from the fresh tank. Since it's 189 gallons, we don't fill up at every stop, only when needed. I haven't 'sanitized' the fresh tank yet as we are using it very regularly.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Different parts of the country have widely varying mineral content in their water. If you drink water that is drastically different than what your gut is accustomed to, it can cause gut issues for a while, until you get accustomed to it. Small children and pets are most sensitive to this. It doesn't mean that the water is unsafe or unsanitary, and it can be very high quality. Just has a lot of naturally occuring minerals.

This seems to be the biggest problem when you are in an area that has much more calcium and magnesium in the water than you are used to. So if you come from the Gulf Coast, Florida, or other "soft" water areas, watch out for it.

My insides are used to hard water and I've never had an issue anywhere in the US.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board