cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water in black tank

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
New to rv camping, but would like to know what everyone does to start using their black water tank...1st time out tank wouldn't drain as it plugged up due to water draining off and leaving solids in tank. I was told to add water first, if that's the case how much should I use...tank about 40 gals.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
21 REPLIES 21

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheel is a 2006 model and I plugged it up...well my girlfriend did, RIGHT! Just kidding. The RV repair guy said the tank isn't very deep so it must be wide and long.

Thanks everyone for all the great input...sounds like using plenty of water will be my best friend.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
As you have read, there are a lot of different methods of having a toilet that works right. The common thing to all is water. Whether you add it at the start, after you dump, or some at the start and more with each use, you need lots of water. When you dump, if the tank is not 2/3 full, add water. Then after you dump add water. And yes, keep the black tank drain closed unless dumping.

A tank rinser is a good idea. I use a Tornado, others like the Quickie Flush. The Flush King probably works well but uses a lot of water and time. Off course you can always put a hose in the toilet and wash it out, but that can get messy.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few tips that might help:
1) As others have said, start by putting in several gallons of water before you leave the house on your trip.
2) Put in a cupful of Calgon water softener to slosh around in that water as you drive. The Calgon makes the inside of the tank slick, and keeps solids from adhering.
3) Use LOTS of water per flush, and keep the dump valve closed.
4) When the tank is almost full, pull your dump valve. The large amount of water, coupled with the WEIGHT of that water, will push the solids out very quickly.
5) Put several gallons of fresh water back into the now-empty tank, along with another cup of Calgon.
6) Just before you leave for home, put a 5 or 10 pound bag of ice into the tank via the toilet bowl, with a bit more water. As you drive home, the ice will slosh around and scrub the tank interior clean. When you get home and dump your tanks, you'll be surprised at how much debris was still in there after you dumped before leaving the park. Get a 6" clear plastic extension to add to your sewer connection so that you can actually SEE what is flowing.
I do this every trip and have not had an issue now for YEARS. It works for me.

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
when I dump I use the black tank flusher when it looks like it's clean enough I close the valve then shut off the black flush so there is two or three gallons of water in the to slosh around.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wait until tank is almost full before dumping. High fluid level helps carry solids out.

After dumping.....rinse/flush tank (toilet wand, flush system, buckets down toilet etc.)

Then fill toilet bowl and flush......this helps keep bottom of tank wet so that anything left behind doesn't dry out. Dried out stuff can cause clogging, pileups & stink.

Use whatever toilet paper that you like. Dump line to toilet is 3" and drain line from tank is 3"..........blockage is caused by not using enough water.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a Flush King....you will be able to see when the tank runs clear water after you flush out ๐Ÿ™‚ Very easy to use!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We mostly dry camp and as such we are very conservative in water usage. We use minimal water in the toilet. We can go 5-6 days and sometimes 7 days on our 33 gallon fresh water tank before needing to dump waste and refill fresh water. We never add any amount of water to the black tank to start it off. IMO that is an urban legend. In 10 years of RVing we have never had an issue with the black tank not draining.

As already mentioned - never leave the black tank valve open when at a full hookup site.

We almost always dry camp and water conservation is important to us so we pretty much follow this method as well. However, I do have a cleanout at home and I can rinse to my hearts content and I'm sure that helps.

Also, I've been under the RV for the last several days making repairs and I have a shallow, wide and long tank ... it is not a deep tank (8" at most).
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If you START with a couple of gallons (NOT just before using it but as soon as you dump the tank). The MAIN way you prevent clogs as you experienced previously though has little to do with how much water you begin with but more about how much water you USE when flushing. Even if you start with five gallons you still need to use plenty of water when flushing. Skimping on water is a sure path to clogs. EVER leaving the black tank completely empty (in storage or in use) is another way to create odors and clogs. Keep water in it 100% of the time.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco Montclair wrote:
Even sitting still you can put some ice in the bowl, and shake the trailer a bit,

Now that would make for great campground entertainment :h
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
If you take the time to use Ridex in your black tank with some water and allow to sit for several days, it will start to help digest the solids in your tank. Of course try the wand thru the toilet first, that would be the easiest and should work.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We mostly dry camp and as such we are very conservative in water usage. We use minimal water in the toilet. We can go 5-6 days and sometimes 7 days on our 33 gallon fresh water tank before needing to dump waste and refill fresh water. We never add any amount of water to the black tank to start it off. IMO that is an urban legend. In 10 years of RVing we have never had an issue with the black tank not draining.

As already mentioned - never leave the black tank valve open when at a full hookup site.

Yes, but I suspect your tank is the deeper type like my previous TT. I didn't need much water when I flushed. Using my MH the same way I immediately got a clog.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I understand.. this is a used rig that someone else plugged up?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Even sitting still you can put some ice in the bowl, and shake the trailer a bit, in the summer time, always from half full to 3/4 ful do the dump thing .and always finish the fill thing with water. And now it's all happy-camping

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has one of those fancy new tank cleaners that not only sprays but rotates to wash inside of tank. They are not a solution if the tank gets cloged. I go back to my old wand & hose for clogs.

30 years ago RV paper was better than home paper. Today all the paper is about the same. Drop some in some water. You can't tell the difference. They both disolve quickly. Just use lots of water when you flush