cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We Need Some Shade

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Where our camper parks, the western sun bakes the side. That side of the camper sits due west. Each trip we take, I alternate which way its parked to even out the time each side sits in the sun.

I don't mind getting a cover but during our racing season, we head out every other weekend. That's a lot of hassle and I know I'll probably not cover some times just because I'm too busy and don't feel like fooling with it.

Any ideas? If I do a screen, I'm afraid the first good storm will ruin that. The only idea that even pops into my head is using treated deck boards and making a louvered side. That would eventually match the boards of the barn but still give it a natural look. Louvers would keep it shaded but allow a breeze to flow through. Plus I just think it would look nice.

As far as we're concerned, we'll have an RV for the rest of our lives. So I see this as a reasonable expense for me; especially since so many RVs now are coming in colored sides.

37 REPLIES 37

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
If the wind blows the shade cloth too hard you can stretch some wire fencing up and then shade cloth over it. Father-in-law did that for his nursery business years ago.

Great idea. Thank you.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
That looks really nice. What cloth demensions were you able to get? And how come the Work And Play does not rate INSIDE the shop?

Good question. Seems my priorities aren't in the right place! :B

Actually, the Work & Play has to stay outside. If it went inside, some of the landscape equipment would have to come outside. Then somebody may be just a little too tempted to walk off with a backpack blower or trimmer when they felt like it. If that happens, I may not be able to make enough money to pay for the Work & Play.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
If the wind blows the shade cloth too hard you can stretch some wire fencing up and then shade cloth over it. Father-in-law did that for his nursery business years ago.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks really nice. What cloth demensions were you able to get? And how come the Work And Play does not rate INSIDE the shop?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Well. Here it is. The louvered side was just going to be too danged expensive. But I really like how this shade cloth turned out. Got these from ShadeClothStore.com. They are the 90% knitted black shade cloths. These are 10' wide and 12' tall so they're just about perfect for my barn. $59.99/cloth so although nearly $400 worth of product, far cheaper than the previous plan. Just hope they hold up in windy conditions.

That's one happy camper! :B

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is exaxtly what I used. It worked out pretty good. I pulled the shade cloth tight and it seemed to get tigher over time...

I might add that I put rubber washers under the fender washers to help grip the fabric better...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:
I had the same problem even though I had a 6 1/2 foot fence the sun would still beat on the side of the Trailer. I planted Arborvitae's but they won't be tall enough to do any good for a few years. So, I used shade cloth. I got it at Lowes it is only 6' wide but you can roll of any length you want' It filters about 70% of the sun and has been up over a year now.

How did you attach it to the carport? Did you use fender washers and self tapping screws?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem even though I had a 6 1/2 foot fence the sun would still beat on the side of the Trailer. I planted Arborvitae's but they won't be tall enough to do any good for a few years. So, I used shade cloth. I got it at Lowes it is only 6' wide but you can roll of any length you want' It filters about 70% of the sun and has been up over a year now.

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
I would attached a frame with heavy shade cloth to the 5 4X4s almost to the ground. The more light it traps the better, I would considered to layers as well.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
When I built the barn, I had an RV spot in mind. Our lot slightly drops to that side so that brick wall in the back ground, the rest of the barn is up that high. But from the front, its ground level. Having the lot slope was a great help because now I have over 13' underneath. When we had our Cyclone, it fit just fine as well. The plan was to have something that would fit a class A if we ever go that route one day.

Yes, I can drive through. Its 60' long with openings on both ends.

I have a friend who does carpentry work coming next week with a few deck boards so we can get a rough idea of what it would look like if I go that route. I'll update this thread as we go along.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have built a bigger barn to park the RV in! ๐Ÿ™‚

Really nice setup and I'd kill for something half that size! (yes, I'm very jealous)

I'd go for the louvers first, but would consider lattice panels too.

Do you use the tractor to park it? Or can you drive it straight thru with the truck?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I just like the barn.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the louvered would look sharp and last the longest.

The lattice you buy already made seems to fall apart after a time.
The cloth will fade over time.
Plantings would look nice too but they take longer to grow tall. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

run100
Explorer
Explorer
The louvered panels get my vote, but the vegetation option is a strong candidate too (as long as it wouldn't have aggresive growth toward the rv). Although it may be hard to imagine, some of our desert plants grow at alarming rates during the heat of the summer
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S