cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We Need Some Shade

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Where our camper parks, the western sun bakes the side. That side of the camper sits due west. Each trip we take, I alternate which way its parked to even out the time each side sits in the sun.

I don't mind getting a cover but during our racing season, we head out every other weekend. That's a lot of hassle and I know I'll probably not cover some times just because I'm too busy and don't feel like fooling with it.

Any ideas? If I do a screen, I'm afraid the first good storm will ruin that. The only idea that even pops into my head is using treated deck boards and making a louvered side. That would eventually match the boards of the barn but still give it a natural look. Louvers would keep it shaded but allow a breeze to flow through. Plus I just think it would look nice.

As far as we're concerned, we'll have an RV for the rest of our lives. So I see this as a reasonable expense for me; especially since so many RVs now are coming in colored sides.

37 REPLIES 37

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would do shade cloth + vegetation -- by the time the cloth is old, the trees/shrubs/vines will have grown.

But, from the picture, I think you prefer a tidier look. For that, I think your louvered idea is the best bet. Lattice could also look nice (get white plastic lattice, the privacy version, and cover edges with trim) but would be just as much work as louvers and louvers would look best.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Sunsetter awnings, PPL RV Supply Houston Texas. Lots of places almost any lawn and patio supply house will have it. It comes in different values, and degrees of weight. It will not wear out for a long long time, especially if it is given some stretch at the anchors.Will not rot never needs painting.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a similar situation and I thought about white vinyl fence 6' high. In my case the carport not much wider then the trailer. With the fence I could still open the trailer door. The trouble is the top would still be open.

The arborvitae would allow me to do the same thing.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The others offered cheaper solutions, but you could put in a little more framing between the 4X4 posts supporting the roof overhang and then cover them with the same siding material as on the rest of the building so everything matches.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome setup, I'm jealous!!!

One other option to consider is a wall of trees to block the sun.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel your pain. Our front cap and door side are in the sun sitting on the storage lot. Same as 4 months in AZ. Same as in the WY mountains. Decals on those parts are toast, the other sides are OK. No amount of Protect All seemed to do any good.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
This picture makes me jealous
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Where do you get shade cloth?

Growers supply houses, or online. I think they use it in all parts of the country- around me, they do cover acres of fern.

It's available online as well.

That said- I like the idea of a planting- actually cools a bit as well as shade.
-- Chris Bryant

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
What about lattice and then plant a row of Emerald Green Arborvitae.

They grow 15'H x 4'W and cold hardy -30 to -40.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for shade cloth or nursery cloth. I have the exact same situation as you, except I don't have a roof. The coach is parked alongside my two story house. I built a pole wall, on the sun side and used the shade cloth (screwed it down) 8 years ago and I figure I have about another two years left. Your situation would be an easy install. The cloth comes in long rolls (4' x 100' or longer). I would just run the rolls horizontal and screw them down with large washers. It will last for years.

The cloth also comes in colors. I did mine in tan.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where do you get shade cloth?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put lattice across it. Block the sun, and allow the air thru, and it's cheap.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
You could get panels of metal roof that match what you have and run that down the side?

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
The shade cloth that is used for ferneries is extremely strong, and long lasting!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the shade cloth will last a long, long time, and is relatively inexpensive. There are literally acres of it around me, holds up to high wind, sun and rain.
-- Chris Bryant