cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What constitutes proper dog walking?

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.
92 REPLIES 92

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:
We volunteer a state and federal campgrounds all the time. Almost all have a long winding road to the sites. But almost all dog walkers walk in the campground to too the business. Why it that?

I'm happy when my dog does her business on our site, which she usually does. Saves me the time and trouble of walking around the campground. But occasionally, when there are no hiking trails, trails that allow dogs, or we want to stretch our legs, we must walk the campground. I don't know what it is about walking, but my dog can poop on the site before we leave and fifteen minutes later during our walk, will poop again. I think she is trying to lessen her load, so to speak...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
I like plastic bags....They are the world greatest advance in sanitary handling of every thing we touch from surgical instrument, to meat and fresh vegies, and even to dog poop. Opposition to plastic means diarrhea for all. We are in the rv 6 months of the year have two dogs and sufficient plastic poop bags to never miss an opportunity to clean the environment.

Hmmmmm.... Now you went and did it. You have made me really conflicted now. Ohhhh....what to do...
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Black Biodegradable Dog Pet Waste Dog Poop Bags Refill 200 400 600 800 Bags
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019174268?hlp=false&var=

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I like plastic bags....They are the world greatest advance in sanitary handling of every thing we touch from surgical instrument, to meat and fresh vegies, and even to dog poop. Opposition to plastic means diarrhea for all. We are in the rv 6 months of the year have two dogs and sufficient plastic poop bags to never miss an opportunity to clean the environment.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! A civil and enlightening discussion of a topic that is usually incendiary.

I do camp with a dog and I am a responsible dog walker. But I have also learned some things FROM THIS THREAD that will make my dog walking even more responsible and considerate.

Ed

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:
We volunteer a state and federal campgrounds all the time. Almost all have a long winding road to the sites. But almost all dog walkers walk in the campground to too the business. Why it that?

I wonder if they are afraid of being hit by traffic on the road? I live in an area that is nothing but windy blind-corner roads with no shoulders. I won't walk, ride my bike, or ride my horses on them because I am scared to death of the people who drive 70mph with no time to react to what's in the road. People don't obey the speed limits when they think it's fun to go faster and zoom around curves....
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:

It must be some sort of disorder like a chromosome missing in some people. Because these people are seen all over the camping world.

I stayed at a CG where the "seasonal" section of RV'ers would promptly walk their dog down to the regular RV CG and let their dogs pee on the water spigots and dump on the front of all the sites.

Being a full timer I saw this it every CG that had a seasonal section.
So beware the regular CG section is considered the dumping ground before you get there for the weekend with your family.:(

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1 wrote:
My son, JUST this morning, went to take his shower. He took an EXTREMELY long time. When he finally got back he told me TWO of the stalls had cr@p in the corner. And not doggie cr@p either. When I reported it to the Camp Host she said it occurs often. So often it's known as a Code Brown.

Dogs are just doing what Nature intended. What is WRONG with people??!!!

It is sad!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
My son, JUST this morning, went to take his shower. He took an EXTREMELY long time. When he finally got back he told me TWO of the stalls had cr@p in the corner. And not doggie cr@p either. When I reported it to the Camp Host she said it occurs often. So often it's known as a Code Brown.

Dogs are just doing what Nature intended. What is WRONG with people??!!!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
aerbus32 wrote:
I've owned a number of German Shepards over the years, so I have no problem with dogs. But those big babies never RV'ed with us. We're currently in a very nice RV resort with grass between each site. First thing I noticed when we pulled in was the circular dead spots of grass similar to what I used to see associated with our female dogs urine. Just where I want to be sitting on a chair. Watching the seemingly unending parade of little doggies and their owner's I've decided that the grass between sites along the road is actually the dog walk area. Does anyone really think those little bags that the feces are picked up with gets it all? To me it boils down to this. The convenience of the dog and walker versus consideration of the person whose site your dog is using as a bathroom.

And what if it doesn't get it all? You do realize there are all kinds of other critters who may be using your campsite as a bathroom too and nobody is even trying to pick up after them?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
Ok, You all convinced me. I'll hold on to the leash from now on. Honest.

Report for your whipping with a wet noodle. LOL

You also will need to supply a picture of you holding the leash attached to the dog. At that time you will be officially, and formally forgiven! LOL
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SteveRuff wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Wow all this about walking dogs!
I always carry doggy bags tied to their leashes, at least two each.

I also love some of the reasoning, poo in your own site, then tomorrow this site become yours!

Doggie diapers, these just make a mess out of the dog, and a big mess to get rid of, ever notice dogs don't need to wipe?

With the exception to urban sites, what wild animals, do you think pee and poo in your site every night. I have had sites on the Oregon Coast with deer scat in them, that and Coyote poo also.

Don't get me wrong pet owners need to be responsible and clean up after their pet,and keep them under control, but you are camping, not in a $200 a night hotel.

Oregon SP are now looking at a $10 a night Pet Fee, not so much opposed to a fee, but at $10, may "entitle" people to think it is to cover Poo pickup!!

Some of the reports I have read you might PREFER that to what is actually there!!!

Yep, seen some those reports on Hotel rooms. I travel for work and have never given it a second thought. Sheets and linens are washed, just as you and I do, some stains and markings, are still left, but the sheets are still "clean".

My thought around this whole issues, is that chemical companies, are doing far to much marketing! They have everyone scared to death about every living micro organism! Yes, I wash my hands after using the bathroom, and hooking up the stinky slinky, but don't use sanitizing hand wipes before picking up a sandwich, just because I touched a hand rail or door handle! Your body has a system to deal with this called your immune system! Use too many sanitizing wipes and the germs become stronger, and your system becomes weaker!

I have been around animals all my life, dogs cats, cows, horses and goats, and have never gotten a disease from them.

Stepping down from my Soap Box Now!:)
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
And so begins the demise of a thread that so far, had been quite informative, educational and mature. I am sure you are proud of yourself for "showing off" CincyGus. You're a winner!
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, You all convinced me. I'll hold on to the leash from now on. Honest.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.