cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use for an outdoor ground cover?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Early on, with a new RV, I bought two 6X9 mat's to set chairs, etc. on, and sight unseen, they turned out to be plastic, and unappealing.

I've seen others, which appear to be some kind of heavy duty cloth, others that were artificial grass, and though I want to change out what I have, am not sure where to go, or what to consider/choose

I'm sure everyone with an RV has something, and I'm curious what you use, and why it's good or bad. On the advice of a friend, I purchased two that I could lay side by side, as that size would be easier to manage, weigh less, and perhaps store more conveniently.

Please chime in with your contribution, as I'm actively looking to make a change... thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I feel bad for the OP, lectures instead of helpful advice."

The OP asked for opinions and preferences, and he got them. Some people don't agree with your opinion or mine, and spoke up. No harm, no foul. When you ask a relatively diverse group of people for their thoughts, you may not get only ones that you find agreeable.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we owned our pop-up we didn't use anything. We owned if for 1 year and only used it a handful of times. With the Hybrid, we used a 3'x3' piece of 3/4" plywood with AstroTurf glued to it. Our kids were little (4 & 2) when we first bought it and wanted to make they had a stable landing when leaving the camper and a stable platform when stepping into camper.

When we bought the motorhome, we decided to get an indoor/outdoor type rug from Lowe's. It folded up pretty small and went under the bed in a trash bag. We had an 11' awning and the rug was 8' wide. When we moved to the Destination Trailer, our current RV, we bought this. The awning is 20' and this mat fit under it nicely. The weave lets water and dirt passthrough easily. Light doesn't get through very well, but our seasonal site didn't have grass where we put the mat, so no worries with killing the grass. The mat has held up very well after 3 years of use, but we have to make sure that all sticks and stones are removed from under it before laying it out in the spring. One of our Zero Gravity chairs did put a small rip in it, but it's not really noticeable and it hasn't gotten any worse since it happened. This thing cleans off very easily and dries very quickly. It folds up and is stored in a bag that it came with. It is light as a feather.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
I feel bad for the OP, lectures instead of helpful advice. We used a vinyl loose weave mat whenever we had concrete or gravel patios, it deteriorated after a few years and was always a pain to fold and store. I plan to get a couple of small indoor/outdoor rugs and put them in front of our chairs. The original reason for the large mat was so our dog, no longer with us, could lay down with us. As you probably realize, you donโ€™t want to put down a large mat on grass.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
One year when e had done extensive site rebuilds with blue grass sod, a camper unrolled their huge astroturf over the beautiful grass? When I aked why, she replied she didnt want her camper to get dirty with mower clippings. She left us a nasty review. I didnt mind, we didnt want people like her in our camp.
Nature is a foreign concept to many.
If you wish for a ground cover, get an open weave mat that lets water andlight through that does not hinder grass much and still gives you what you want. Do what you can to enjoy and preserve

Unsolicited opinion, every campground that I have been in with grass has such stringent requirements about the grass that I never choose a site with grass. I've seen folks get thrown out for parking one wheel on the grass. Make sites as wide as possible and 100% useable.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You just can't beat a forum where a user comes on and asks a simple question, "What mat do you use?", and most of the replies are admonishments for using a mat.

Stop being the "my way is the only way police" and if you don't have an answer just move along. The OP didn't ask if they should use a mat.

Our recent mat purchase came from E-Trailer. Most companies are making them much thinner than the one we bought 10 years ago. I doubt the new one will last 3 years.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
RV mats at Walmart, $49.99. We get a few seasons out of them and then the sun will break them down a bit.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
we use the ground...ground covers kill grass and some parks prohibit them.

Support.. ON sand or concrete I like "Astro-Turf" type mats
But on grass. NOTHING. absolutly NOTHING In my humble opinion if you put a mat down over grass management should invite you to stay elsewhere and no refund.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
One year when e had done extensive site rebuilds with blue grass sod, a camper unrolled their huge astroturf over the beautiful grass? When I aked why, she replied she didnt want her camper to get dirty with mower clippings. She left us a nasty review. I didnt mind, we didnt want people like her in our camp.
Nature is a foreign concept to many.
If you wish for a ground cover, get an open weave mat that lets water andlight through that does not hinder grass much and still gives you what you want. Do what you can to enjoy and preserve

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Why would I cover the ground? I try not to spill much and would clean up if I did spill something.

Spend some time camping around or near a beach, then you might understand.

We found a plastic weave patio "rug" with an open weave that allows dirt and sand to fall through, keeps a lot of the sand out of the RV.

Wouldn't use it if I was camping on grass but sandy/dirt camping spot, it is very helpful.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't use anything on grass, but have one of the open weave plastic 6'x9' rugs for gravel, mud, rocks, and the like.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Prest-O-Fit Aero-Weave and really like it and has held up very well over several years.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use a rug/ground cover on grass, but we do use an open mesh poly rug on sand, fine crushed stone, etc, where tracking it into the RV can be a problem. It's about 8'x 9' and rolls up easily for stowing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Straw type patio mat. I think mine is 10x12 and very easy to sweep and with a battery operated blower youโ€™re done in 15 seconds.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A simple and inexpensive option is to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and look at the 6' runners. choose the style/thickness your willing to work with and have it cut to the size you want.