cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is so facinating about closing time?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?
79 REPLIES 79

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
You own a business, they are your customers, they paid to be at your place. Get over it and worry about more important things.

X10
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I have often wondered, do these same folks, leave their work a 5 oclock on the button. Or do they stay later to tidy things up. While working off the clock

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have opposite reaction when I go in a store at 15 minutes to the closing time on the door, yet no one wants to wait on me since they've pretty much already closed the store down.

If you want to leave at 10pm, close the store at 9 or 9:30. Then everyone is pretty much happy. They can get served, if they want to be served up until closing, and you can still get out of the store at 10pm or a few minutes afterwards.

westernrvparkowner wrote:
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
You might be talking about 2 different phenomena here. The late night diners are self-absorbed, inconsiderate people who think the world revolves around them.

The late night browser in the camp store may just be way out of their element. It's late and they don't have their normal routines available. They don't want to go to bed and they haven't learned the fine art of silent meditation while star gazing or staring into a campfire. So, they wander into the store while the lights are still on. Guess I'd rather have that than them making another beer run in town.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Put up a sign:

NOTICE:
ALL PRICES
DOUBLE AT 9:30
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will probably want to close up when folks are in the store but being the good host you all are you will stay until the last one leaves...

You're just gonna go in the house and watch Johnny Carson anyway...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
You own a business, they are your customers, they paid to be at your place. Get over it and worry about more important things.

Really?
While I understand your point of having more important things to worry about, the thing is the OP pointed out that they never actually buy anything. That statement is, most times, true. But at the same time, you don't want to irk them for they might come back the next day to pick up what they need.

I always taught my managers to be polite yet firm in stating 'I apologize, but we are closed for the evening." It is about how you handle it.

As for tippers in the restaurants? Well, they weren't going to tip anyway. But that doesn't mean you automatically give poor service. A reputation for poor service late night is difficult to overcome.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta go with..............Human Nature.....................put a deadline in front of a LOT of people, they will push it.

Why not have fun with this........................Post "Closing time" as...................9:43 P.M...........................that way, you are done by 10:00p.m.................Course, you will lose the last minute person , who really wants to grab something...................but, hey, your blood pressure will be lower.

But, it could be worse...........................people might not Come In At All...................so be thank-ful, they are there.:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

demoon
Explorer
Explorer

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Happens on an RV lot too. I kinda get it though in this environment. People on their way home from work, don't have a chance to shop during the day. Many are buyers as they have jobs and can afford an RV purchase. Depending on the day I'll close the gate a bit at 6 to send a gentle message but at the same time if they ask I encourage them to look around. Many appreciate it and come back at a later time with the significant other to look again and eventually buy. It can be tough for the working crowd to shop for RV's or even parts.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
You know, I think a simple "Sorry folks, we're closing in five minutes"...would be sufficient to get the procrastinators heading for the door. If not, start turning out the lights....

You would think, but it just makes some people dig in their heels harder.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know, I think a simple "Sorry folks, we're closing in five minutes"...would be sufficient to get the procrastinators heading for the door. If not, start turning out the lights....

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
another usual rant on people's behavior. like Markiemark said, close at 9:30 and you will be done at 9:45 instead of 10:15 ๐Ÿ™‚

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stopping at the office when checking in is all the time I want to spend there. If I have a question later, I use the phone.
And, I NEVER go to restaurants late (don't want anybody staring at me with THAT look).
A self-contained fully-equipped motorhome has its advantages. I like to fix my own dinner, and breakfast. In fact, overnighting at Walmarts works great for me (don't have to bother anybody).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
As guess they are waiting to see if Mickey Gilley was right when he said "The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDGqLyTNy0?
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)