cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of RVer are you

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to say one is better just in answering a question my cousin asked today I started thinking about the main categories of RVers. I may have overlooked some and of course most people will fit into multiple categories. I have been all of the following types at one time or another. Right now I am a Snowbird more than anything else. Spending summers in the mountains and winters in the desert at a stick home.

Basically RV people are either:

Full timers with out a stick house.

Snow birds going from bad weather to good weather and frequently having a stick house somewhere.

Vacationers traveling for one or two vacation trips a year or going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends.

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year;

People living in one because it is the best economic choice for them.

AND ????
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
71 REPLIES 71

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We are a mixture. We are snowbirds with a home in the South (fall and winter) and a seasonal site in the North (spring and summer). However, we also camp the rest of the year. We don't do weekend trips, too crowded for us. We are at home in High-End Resorts as well as in State Parks. We prefer State Parks, but stay in private parks about as much as we do State Parks.

We are in our early 40's. My wife is a stay at home mom and I own my own business and can work where ever my laptop is. We home school our kids whether we are at home or on the road.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retirees. One 110 day trip done this year. Setting off on a 58 day trip this Sunday.

We did not buy it to sit in a storage lot.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Full-timers. Same truck, same trailer. Almost eleven years.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
weekend warriors with 2 or 3, 10 day trips to the beach in summer.
I sure wish it was more ๐Ÿ™‚

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We used to be retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year, but it seems that we now have more commitments at home. Now we try to get away for a multi week trip or two and several long weekend trips with the local GS chapter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bill_and_Marie_
Explorer
Explorer
Empty nesters going out as much as possible on weekends and at least three week-long trips during the year. Paid off ranch house on 4 acres very close to Dallas so hard to leave that behind but considering full timing it when I retire in 6 or 7 years.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Frustrated. I have to walk down the side of the 5er and climb in the the TV every morning when I go to work.
I need some wild

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie snowbirds here! We travel a lot, too, fitting trips around doctor appointments.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opie431, you're a man of my own heart. We have a B/van camper and live outside. (Other than electricity for medical equipment reasons). Our van provides a comfortable night's sleep and shelter when needed, but our main stay is out doors. Our best meals are cooked over the wood campfire. Like to CAMP amidst trees and growies.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
My wife works for our local school system so it's strictly Summer camping and trying to squeeze in a trip during the Easter week break from school. While we've traveled as far as Florida from NY, during the last two years we've stayed local at campsites here on Long Island, with our favorite being Smith's Point which is right on the beach. Once we're there it doesn't matter if we're 30 miles or 300 miles from home, we're still camping.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seasonals to weekend wanderers. Just made the change last month. Lovin' it!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My tag line says it all for us, we like to go and see, a little bit of everything is better than a whole lot of one thing.

If it weren't for the DGK's, we would take two or three month trips as often as possible, maybe a week to regroup and then off again. I have been a So. Californian for almost all my 75 years and I am getting real tired of having rush hour from 5:00 or 6:00am to 8:00 or 9:00pm. Our sleepy little corner of LA is now "the" place to be and be seen. You folks on the road and in campgrounds are much more civilized than these Hipsters and if it weren't for the above, I'd never come home, I would always be home on the road in the Bounder.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers for 7 years and loving every minute. I never want to own a house again.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting reading about the similarities and differences in RV travel. Thanks for the responses. Shows that I did not steer my cousin to far from the realities of RV travel.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to be the weekend vacationer.
Now we can be considered travelers to attend family events. Our FW is our rolling condo to keep us out of hotels.

Over the past several months we have attended weddings, graduations and birthday parties. In a few weeks we travel to San Marcos to attend my cousins 50th wedding anniversary party.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857