cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of RVer are you

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to say one is better just in answering a question my cousin asked today I started thinking about the main categories of RVers. I may have overlooked some and of course most people will fit into multiple categories. I have been all of the following types at one time or another. Right now I am a Snowbird more than anything else. Spending summers in the mountains and winters in the desert at a stick home.

Basically RV people are either:

Full timers with out a stick house.

Snow birds going from bad weather to good weather and frequently having a stick house somewhere.

Vacationers traveling for one or two vacation trips a year or going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends.

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year;

People living in one because it is the best economic choice for them.

AND ????
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
71 REPLIES 71

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
We intend to travel but I have an elderly Mother that lives in Tampa, so we hesitate to get too far away.

We have found a pretty good compromise. We bought a rv lot in the Florida Keys and we stay there from Feb thru May ish. We head back to Tampa for a few months and then to our Rv lot in the north Ga mountains. No, we haven't been out west yet and we hope to be able to travel more, but in the meantime, we're pretty happy.

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
This is us....

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year. One trip was 11 weeks to Alaska up the alcan. I don't like to get the trailer out of the driveway unless it is for two weeks are more. Usually spend at least a month in Colorado during Texas hot summers.

Happy Camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
For now we don't fit any were in with the OP. We still have 5 to 10 yrs of work a head of us. What we have been doing the past few yrs and hope to continue is to take extended weekends (4 to 5 day trips) once a month from April to Oct. Some months we will squeeze in 2 trips per month.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
We do a mix. My wife works full time. I work part time. We've done a number of 3 week trips, but we also like to do long weekenders. During the summer months I also use the RV to commute to my job, which is about 100 miles from our S&B, and use it as my hotel. As she winds down in a few years we hope to do 2-3 month long trips.

BamaVan
Explorer
Explorer
3-5 trips per year mostly within 300 miles of home.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
we take 3 week trips about 4 times a year im retired dw works out of rv or sb

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
I stay in mine 2-3 days a week in another city I work in.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We do a couple of road trips a year but as I live and work in a tourist area I need to stick around to work why they are here ( an the $$ is here with them). So we use part of our total time setting up on the outerbeaches for a week here and there. Instead of going home, I go home to the beach. Just got back from a week on the beach and left the Friday before LD so as to avoid the people who need to stay up all night get drunk and sleep all day. The balance of the time we over the road and visit our daughter out of state and vacation in a new destination. This year we tried lower Vermont and it was fun.

This might be a different twist than others.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent the last 35 years perched atop a mountain in northern New Mexico. Our weekends have consisted of taking the RV to southern Utah, eastern Arizona, southern Colorado, and west Texas. Our week long vacations have been spent on cruises or flying to the coasts.

We are looking forward to selling the house and almost everything in it, buying a new class A with a Jeep Grand Cherokee toad, a canoe on its roof and my bike on a rack on the back. We will travel full time for a few years until we find a spot that resonates with us. Once we find our new home then we will become part timers rather than full timers. It may take more than a few years to find a new home or we may find it right away. We will be in no hurry.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

muskrat_linnie_
Explorer
Explorer
we are both retired with a stick home. we go to as many bluegrass festivals as we can

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Full timers with no S & B.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in our early sixties but still working. We live in Maine, and God knows how much snow we get here..........I'm done shoveling and mowing the large lawn so, we're moving out of our house next spring.......selling everything including our hybrid camper.
We just bought a Cedar Creek Cottage 40cck and we'll become seasonal at our favorite campground in Old Orchard Beach. Winter comes, we will rent a fully furnished condo still in the same area on the beach......which will be our lifestyle for the next 5 years.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Sitters and Travelers are a good subcategory in more than the fulltimers arena. We started out as travelers for a few years and then were sitters, at least for 2-4 weeks before traveling again.

Now we are Snowbird sitters ๐Ÿ™‚ I wonder if that egg will ever hatch into a home on a tropical beach with low cost of living and high speed internet?
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Retiree without a s&b and snowbirding. I was also informed by a fellow fulltimer, that there are sitters and travelers among fulltimers. I am fighting desperately not to become a sitter between Washington coast in summer and Coachella Valley in the winter.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107