cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about faded exterior

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper is a dark gray color, and we park it outside for now (saving to build an outbuilding to put it in). It gets full sun all day, and we've noticed the side that faces south has faded quite a bit. It looks pretty bad, especially since it seems that anywhere there's something directly underneath the surface (like brackets to hold stuff inside), it has not faded. Is there anything we can do to help it look better? Our previous rig was white so we didn't notice issues like this.

We loved the dark gray when we bought it, now we see why most campers are white 😞
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
11 REPLIES 11

zrone90
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem, south facing side faded. Tried poli glow shines like new

https://smile.amazon.com/Poli-Glow-fiberglass-restoration-water-based/dp/B00409S8AG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3R14105GXFUG8&keywords=poliglow&qid=1554502890&s=gateway&sprefix=poliglow%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-2
2013 Crossroads 30RE

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
It's a gelcoat finish, correct? Not aluminum?
Either way, rotary polisher and rubbing compound and then polishing compound to remove the oxidation.
Or for a bit more than buying the polisher and supplies, have a detail shop cut and polish it, then cover it.

If you do it yourself, I'd expect a 38' camper side to take 2 FULL days.

Or you could hit it with the Zep floor polish for a temporary "fix."

Correct, gel coat finish. I like your idea of just hiring someone to do it LOL!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's a gelcoat finish, correct? Not aluminum?
Either way, rotary polisher and rubbing compound and then polishing compound to remove the oxidation.
Or for a bit more than buying the polisher and supplies, have a detail shop cut and polish it, then cover it.

If you do it yourself, I'd expect a 38' camper side to take 2 FULL days.

Or you could hit it with the Zep floor polish for a temporary "fix."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I should add covers are hard where we are too... it's very windy a lot and I'm not sure if a cover would stay put. Maybe it would?

Use a cover till you get the building up, just secure it good and don't worry about rips in the cover it will happen but its best to ruin a cover and not the RV..

Also park the RV turned around and let the sun hit the other side, don't let it bake on one side only..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Extra straps will keep a cover on your RV. Harbor Freight sells them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Elbow grease usually works well.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Try some polishing compound on a small spot. That will take off the oxidized paint. Then apply a good wax .

If that works, you have a big job ahead.

Thank you. And yes it would be a big job... 38'1" big. LOL!

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Try some polishing compound on a small spot. That will take off the oxidized paint. Then apply a good wax .

If that works, you have a big job ahead.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this >>>>Color Restorer LINK

Disclaimer: I have never used it.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I should add covers are hard where we are too... it's very windy a lot and I'm not sure if a cover would stay put. Maybe it would?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
303 Protectant.
A cover is an option until erect a storage building.

303 PROTECTANT is a UV Protectant.