cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel chair lift or similar

chucketn
Explorer
Explorer
My children and grandchildren live approximately 2000mi from me, amd my siblings and most cousins 1000 mi in a different direction. We want to be able to visit more often.
I am slightly disabled with heart problems, and my wife can only walk a few feet due to back problems. She mostly uses a wheel chair.
We are looking at getting a small Class C or a class B to make traveling easier, as it is difficult to get her in and out of motels and restaurants.
I would like to hear from others with the same/similar issues.
I am a veteran and often go to the local VA Medical Center. There I see many pov's with hitch receiver mounted carriers for mobility scooters. Are they easy for an old dude with a bad heart to load and unload? Are wheel chair lifts capable of handling a mobility scooter?

Chuck
4 REPLIES 4

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Lifts - of all types: Google "Burr Lift".
The Burr lifts (and others) lift a person from the ground to the height of the RV - normally attached to the side of the RV by the steps.

Lifts for a handicapped scooters (etc.) you have seen... there are many options (12V operated), so no physical lifting req'd.

The Newmar MH mentioned by a poster is expensive! If you can afford it, it's specifically designed for wheelchair use. (IIRC) there is at least one other mfgr of same.

If you want an *inexpensive* travel trailer - look at toy haulers - which have a ramp. At least one mfgr has a side (rather than rear) ramp.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sold our last MH and bought a Newmar handicap 3911 with a wheelchair lift and setup for handicap use. Best thing we ever did since my wife lost complete use of legs. Amazing how easy it is to put the lift down, allow her to drive the handicap scooter on to the lift and the drive it off when it is level with the floor. She can slide off the scooter onto the shower bench with a little help from me. Same with the toilet.
God Bless you sir, your job is daunting but rewarding.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Google wheelchair lift for RV. There are a number of options available.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came across member in the Buying a Former Rental thread that installed one in his Class C.There is a picture here

In a reply on the next page he had a link to where he bought it,you can see it HERE

You might give them a call.

Or maybe send a private Message to him,he may be able to help you. His name is eldel

Click here for eldel Profile to send a message.

Good Luck in your search
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C