cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When impatience hurts!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
It appears that this Class C driver paid a big price for their impatience!
Seems all five people in the Class C were taken to the hospital. If you watch closely you will see what appears to be a lady crawl out of the wreckage and start looking for others.

Bad Class c crash
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
59 REPLIES 59

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Did you folks see the video of the woman doing a Rosco P Coltrain on a tow truck (That's what I call it when a "Dukes of Hazzard" Jump goes.... Bad)

She had to be texting.

Not sure who "Roscoe P. Coltrain" is. I presume he is the star of the TV show.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Dukes of Hazard IIRC.

Yeah, I think everyone agrees the RV driver was 100 plus at fault.

What I think some of us question is whether the truck driver did all that he could to avoid an accident. Maybe I'm just old school, but I believe we all have an obligation to do all we can to avoid an accident and probable loss of life. And while none of us can say for sure from just a short clip, it does not look to me like the truck driver made any attempt to slow down prior to being forced into the median. My guess is it would not have made much difference if he had tried, but trying would count for something.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Did you folks see the video of the woman doing a Rosco P Coltrain on a tow truck (That's what I call it when a "Dukes of Hazzard" Jump goes.... Bad)

She had to be texting.

Not sure who "Roscoe P. Coltrain" is. I presume he is the star of the TV show.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
its always amazing how many folks see the same vid and make completely different observations.

RV driver just messed up big time. Probably shouldn't be driving period making a dumb move like that.
Glad no other drivers nearby were hurt .

I don't think those in this thread have said anything other than the MH was 100% at fault as I have repeatedly.

It just strikes me that the MH was desperate to get by that truck. Why? What caused the MH driver to make such a huge miscalculation w his wife and 3 kids aboard?

We can call the MH driver stupid or a novice, and we have only 30 seconds of video, no speeds or deltas, to make that determination. So yeah no matter what happened before those 30 seconds we've seen is irrelevant the MH is still 100% at fault.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
its always amazing how many folks see the same vid and make completely different observations.

RV driver just messed up big time. Probably shouldn't be driving period making a dumb move like that.
Glad no other drivers nearby were hurt .
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

She had to be texting.

Yup, pretty crazy.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

She had to be texting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I finally got around to watching the clip. The first thing I thought was that the guy is driving that motorhome for the first time, and totally misjudged the length when he tried to move over. Sometimes stupid hurts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Yes, the video shows the truck in the left lane overtaking the truck in the right, but it certainly wasn’t at a very rapid pace. The delta between speeds seemed pretty small.

Well, how long was the truck in the left lane? If he had just pulled out to pass before the video started then it's going to take him a while to gain some speed to complete the pass. It's takes a lot to accelerate 80K lbs of truck/trailer...

I haven't looked at the replay in a couple weeks, but you can see the MH overtaking the left lane truck at a rapid rate if you look into the trucks right hand side mirror. As the MH comes along the left lane semi the rate the MH is passing seems to slow. Whether the left land semi is speeding up or it's an optical illusion we'll never know.

Based on how long it took the vehicle to reach the accident scene that the left land truck had just passed it would seem the semi was in the left lane for a "while." I think there is a little more to the scenario than what that 30 sec video shows.

The MH is STILL 100% at fault.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Yes, the video shows the truck in the left lane overtaking the truck in the right, but it certainly wasn’t at a very rapid pace. The delta between speeds seemed pretty small.

Well, how long was the truck in the left lane? If he had just pulled out to pass before the video started then it's going to take him a while to gain some speed to complete the pass. It's takes a lot to accelerate 80K lbs of truck/trailer...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Dumbell in the motorhome is 100% at fault

Case closed

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread is getting funnier as time goes on.

I will add my 2 cents.

That trucker should have got on his CB radio and asked the guy in front to pull over on the shoulder so he could pass. :B

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Well there are couple things he could have done different that don't cause any drama:

1. Don't even be in the left lane passing and likely speeding to do so.

So how do you recommend he overtake the slower truck?

I’m not saying this wasn’t the motorhomes fault, but my answer to you is for the truck to slow down slightly and stay behind in the right lane. All two often you get one truck going 1 MPH faster than another, trying to pass, and hanging in the left lane for miles. This causes traffic to back up and for road rage to happen.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:

Well there are couple things he could have done different that don't cause any drama:

2. See the motorhome barreling alongside him and slow down before it does something stupid like cut you off.

I'm NOT saying he needed to do either of the above things, but they could have also prevented the problem. Yes, it's 100% the motorhome's fault but not being involved in an accident even when it's not your fault is still the best option.

Both 1 and 2 sound like something a lawyer hunting for payday from the highest liability policy would argue in court. Good thing driver had dash cam to fight that snot.
What makes you think truck was speeding? Most time I would run with cruise set at 62. At that speed I would still need to use the passing lane, and many would pass me without speeding. As to slow down to let somebody pass on right? Now you got slow traffic in both lanes. And more idiots passing on right, cutting off.
You ever think about the logic behind KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS? Unless you are in something from across the water with right hand drive, it is easier to see, judge location of vehicle overtaking you on the left.

dedmiston
wnjj wrote:

So how do you recommend he overtake the slower truck?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230