cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do you repack your wheel bearings?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our RV at a RV storage place. We can't have it at our house due to HOA rules. Where do you repack your wheel bearings if you have a situation like this? We take our RV to a certain RV park near us that allows RV washing when we want to do that (weekend of camping and washing all in 1!) but I haven't found an RV park that will allow that level of maintenance. Thoughts, or do we have to just bite the bullet and get it done at the dealer?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
28 REPLIES 28

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
frizzen wrote:
Take the stuff with you next time you take it out. You can get bearing caps that go into the ends of the axles that have grease zerks on them.

Sorry, wrong info. The caps you are talking about are for boat trailers and are not meant for travel trailers. The RV trailer axles with zerks are designed differently.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I've used independent tire dealers. Didn't cost much and drop off/pick up the same day.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask this. Doesn't the HOA have a minimal period of time you can have the RV parked at your house. Most are like 72 Hours or some such number. One day actually would do the trick. That is not a huge job, but if you take it somewhere to get it done they will charge you plenty. I think I would do it right in front or in the driveway and you will be done before any of them will even know you have been there.
jwmII

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Take the stuff with you next time you take it out. You can get bearing caps that go into the ends of the axles that have grease zerks on them.
I need some wild

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
LOL. I am a rule follower... one of my father in law's favorite things to tease me about (there are many!). I would never break a rule that I know exists! But I will double check to see if there is a 24 - 72 hour stipulation, not sure about that one. Otherwise it sounds like my best option is a dealer or RV repair facility. ๐Ÿ™‚
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)

I too would do it at home... By the time they realize what you did , they will be a day late and a dollar short...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d do it at home just to tick them off. only takes couple hours. do a good clean up. and in my opinion its time to move. nobody should be watched over.I lived in a area like that, I moved to the far out burbs. I make the rules..

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do it at home. You'd be finished before the HOA Nazis knew it was there.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our wheel bearings are sealed. Are yours or have you repacked them previously?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What are the HOA rules? Some allow a trailer to be parked for 24-72 hours before you have to move it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Under these circumstances - IMHO it would be easier to pay a trailer place to do it.

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Take the tools and supplies necessary to the storage facility. Or at least call and ask them if you can

Sorry, I should have specified that. We have asked at the storage facility and have been told we cannot do it there.
Me and wonderful DH

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the tools and supplies necessary to the storage facility. Or at least call and ask them if you can

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do mine in front of the house, but obviously that's not an option for you. Can you do it at the storage place?

On the plus side it's not horribly expensive to have it done, and if you've never done one then you don't have to worry about it being done wrong. It would definitely depend on how much you trust your dealer, and if there were no other trailer places around that would do it. An RV dealer would be behind a real trailer repair shop as far as where I would go.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"