cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to register my new vehicle...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on the road for 10 years (full-timer no other home) and have lived the last 1 1/2 years in Oregon. I am self employed with an Internet business, have my residency in Montana (friend's address), My truck has permanent registration in MT and I just bought an old Subaru here for road trips, from a friend who just moved here from New Mexico. The Subaru's registered in New Mexico. I have the title two weeks to figure out where to register it. Montana requires that the 1st registration after a transfer of title is done in person. Do I have to have the vehicle with me? And if I register it in Oregon will I have to have an Oregon license? And if I have an Oregon license will I have to file taxes in Oregon rather than Montana? Is there any disadvantage to that? Seems like things are just cheaper in Montana in general. Can I get permanent tags in Oregon? Will I have to change the registration on the truck if I change my driver's license? The car was cheap but this is all getting very complicated. But it has been wonderful to drive a Subaru again after so many years in the truck. Saving me a lot on gas too.

At some point in the next 5 years I may put my rig and storage part of the year and live overseas and have someone else run my Internet business. What would make the most sense? I don't plan to buy any new vehicles in the next several years. I just kind of wanted to get permanent registration on both vehicles so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore. Can I get permanent registration in Oregon? When I am not overseas I will be living somewhere on the West Coast. WA, OR, or CA.

Thanks much...
15 REPLIES 15

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes,no,yes,no,yes,no.
Oregon plates are two years. The only permanent plates are disabled vets. License fees based on vehicle age. You will need a permanent address to register and title in Oregon. If you live here, move here permanently. In Oregon, as long as your outside the DMV smog check areas licenze can be renewed by mail.
As with most all states, licensing and registration information can be found online. Might be worth your time to research it online.