cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who all tows a Mini Cooper, all 4 down?

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chance to buy a used 2006 with a 6 speed/ TURBO/ 47000 miles.
But when I research the present and past towing guides from Motorhome Magazine, I question whether they can be towed all 4 wheels down?

I just talked to someone that has a 2005/ 5 speed and has towed it 60,000 miles w/ no problem.
He justs puts the key in the ignition, so the steering wheel free wheels and tows.

So...Can I, or can't I?
Or.. The good or the bad?
Why don't they say you can tow?
Does it have to do with lubrication to the trans-axle?
Whats the negative over the long haul?
THANKS..
I am new to all this..:h
6 REPLIES 6

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problems.

But, if it's an 06, it's supercharged, not turbocharged. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Also, the 06 still has a locking steering column so you'll have to leave a key in the ignition.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

rickcarlene
Explorer
Explorer
We started towing a 2008 clubman S 6 speed last season with a roadmaster base plt towed 2500 miles last season so far so good.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend install the baseplate on his Mini Cooper S; he's towed it for several years with no issues.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does the vehicle owner's manual say. that would be my first cut, before motorhome magazine. since they evidently say No, do you feel lucky?

bumpy

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2nd gen manual transmission Mini Cooper behind my motorhome using a readily available Blue Ox baseplate. It tows beautifully, and I've never had a problem towing it. Mini, however, recommends that it not be towed. I suggest you do a search on this site, and you'll find several people that are towing the Mini Coopers without issue. Since the particular model that you're looking at is likely out of warranty you don't have to be concerend about Mini.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..I must preface this by saying I have no specific experience with flat towing a mini cooper, can only speak from what I've heard from various places. Could be totally wrong, but...

The fact that its a manual tranny, means towing it 4 down may well be possible, without hurting the drivetrain. Many manual tranny vehicles can be towed that way.

However, IIRC the challenge with the Cooper Minis is in finding a way to attach a tow bar to the front of them. Not that many base plates available for them, as many Cooper Minis don't have anything solid enough in the front to attach a base plate to.

Before buying the Cooper, contact Blue Ox (or maybe Demco and/or Roadmaster), see if they make a base plate for it. If not, I would ask the guy who said he tows a Cooper Mini, where he got his base plates, or how he attaches a tow bar to the front? Maybe he knows of someone that custom fabricated him some base plates?

(..Maybe someone that owns a Cooper Mini will chime in, and correct me if I have mis-spoken?)
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")