Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

Explorer

Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.