cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why Is My Air Conditioner Squawking?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2022 Jayco trailer that I bought about 4 months ago. Sometimes during the day I hear a loud squawking noise like a bird but it sounded like it was coming from inside the trailer. Today I heard it several times and I tracked it down that it sounds like it is coming from the air conditioning unit - the part with the filter, not the part with the air vents. But a lot of time it's quiet. I haven't heard peeps like there are babies in a nest. Is this probably just a bird that likes to sit on my air conditioning unit or could an animal be stuck in the AC unit? I haven't heard it for hours here in the evening or in the nights. It comes and goes during the day. At first I thought maybe it was a warning device saying that I needed to clean the AC filter. Any thoughts?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
7 REPLIES 7

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
StonedPanther wrote:
I believe Jayco uses Dometic AC units? Good Luck.They're Junk

It may be Dometic. I had a Winnebago 3 years ago and it made a lot of noise on the roof. This Jayco is pretty quiet except the fan is loud. But I like that better because it's not a loud vibrating noise like the Winnebago. And both were bought new, but the Winnebago was a Class A, the Jayco is a trailer. Maybe that has something to do with the vibrating noise in the Winnebago.

As for this being a fan noise, it's not that because I hear the squawking noise when the AC is turned off. No fan blowing. Nothing. Anyway, I haven't heard the noise for a couple of days so it was probably a bird sitting on the AC unit.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe Jayco uses Dometic AC units? Good Luck.They're Junk

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last summer I occasionally heard a HARD thumping in my A/C after it had been running about 15 minutes. Did it 3 or 4 times, then stopped. When I got home from the trip, I went up and took the cover off. A squirrel had built a nest in it. He had gotten a thrill ride a few times, then moved.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I would go in the roof and look or have someone do that. A new unit should not have AC issues.

Well, it could be a thermal thing. Like something rotating is touching something when warmed up by the sun.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Psstโ€ฆI think heโ€™s hearing these noises when itโ€™s not runningโ€ฆ.
Squeak lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like bad bearings on the fan motor. Unit seems to be a bit new for that; however, if it was used in very dusty conditions it is possible.

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
fan motor??
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens