cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why not put turbos on 2500 gas trucks

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hear all these great reviews on the Eco-Boost engine and all the power it creates. Somewhere I read a few years back it had more HP and torque then my 2500 HD gas. Why doesn't Ford or Chevy offer that engine on a 3/4 ton truck or put the twin turbo's on the V8 gas engines?
49 REPLIES 49

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
Aftermarket superchargers are available for most all the gas engines.

I highly recommend. 500rwhp is at your beck and call. Write the check.

๐Ÿ™‚

Would he running a risk of Voiding any warranty?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
yeah turtle, back when I was around those Vehicle Tank Recovery (VTR) vehicles. At the time they had a V 12 Lycoming with a big turbo on each bank. It has been noted that when those babies were out of tune and towing a 50 some ton track vehicle they could pump out 1 mile per 5 gal of gas. :R

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
In three words; Duty cycle and heat.

Turbo's put out a lot of heat any they make the engine put out a lot of heat. At 14 pounds of boost they are doubling the engine size. So if you have a 6 liter N/A engine you now have a 12 liter engine and it's hard to keep a 12 liter engine cool running full tilt pulling a hill with a heavy load.

Then there is the fuel economy issue. You now have a 12 liter engine using 12 liters worth of fuel. A 12 liter engine can use a LOT of fuel. My 9 liter engine can use about a gallon of fuel/ 1/4 mile. Or 4 gallons/ mile. (no, not a typo)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Aftermarket superchargers are available for most all the gas engines.

I highly recommend. 500rwhp is at your beck and call. Write the check.

๐Ÿ™‚

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably because the driveline won't take the power without extensive modifications.

You can buy a 'hairdryer' for just about any powerplant but you always have to modify the driveline too.

A slippery and often times expensive slope.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB