cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will work for Free :)

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
As most of us have in the course of our lives, We are contemplating a change of venue. We currently live in Manitoba, Canada and have been tossing around the idea of hitting the road for a couple of years to see what there is to see. We are not millionaires but live comfortably now and would have some savings to rely on to travel for a few years. We would like to extend those savings..

so.. Here's the question...

We don't want to get paid. We'd like to work for exchange of a parking space, electricity and possibly food/water if the deal permits..
We're thinking along the lines of farming, construction, renovations, yard work, house work, etc. etc. Our general labor for the purpose of seeing U.S. and Canada..

If I paint your house, I park in your yard for a week. It's harvest time, temporary work for temporary stay. We have our own sleeping quarters, transportation, etc. but just need a place to park.

Does such a Website or forum exist to connect the workers to the providers?
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚
47 REPLIES 47

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:

How is what the OP proposes, illegally working in the US, any different than what the illegal alien picking fruit, or mowing grass is doing. They are both taking low paying, no benefits, manual labor positions away from deserving Americans. They are both in violation of laws that are commonly violated to the detriment of hard working Americans. I know I dream of the day I can shingle roofs in 100 degree heat and not have to compete with an illegal alien for the privilege.
Perhaps the difference is the average illegal alien is working to send money home to support his family that likely lives in extreme poverty, while the OP wants to extend his vacation. Personally, my preferences for tolerance of people breaking laws lean towards those who are trying desperately to improve their families lives and provide them with at least the basics we take for granted. But apparently you feel spending extra time on vacation is a nobler aspiration.

A very good point.

Edit: I guess I should not have cut out the post Western was responding to! I have nothing against the OP visiting here, NOR do I have anything against people trying to make a better life for their families. I just think some people here spend too much time listening to hate radio.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
her&I wrote:
Naio wrote:
Naio wrote:
I don't think that work trades violate minimum wage laws, unless the work required is valued higher than what is received in trade.

And most places evade the issue by calling it volunteering. I would guess it is legal to accept foreigners as volunteers.

The employer would be required to report the value of what is received as income. Depending upon the situation, it would either be on a W-2 or a 1099.

Yes, of course, although that is not for the OP to worry about.

If reported the op could be ordered out of the U.S. and refused future entry.

If his EMPLOYER cheats on taxes? Come on.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
In 2005 I traveled through Montana in my old RV. The radio was not great. I could not find an English language radio station--there were four stations--all of them Spanish. I can only conclude that WPRVO has it "dead to rights".

I would never risk my access to visit USA for a few bucks doing work that I don't adore.

rag-ftw wrote:
I am not going to hijack this thread by continuing this discussion with you. I will just remind you that life as you see it in Montana is not what many of the rest of us see in our states. Have a good day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
I am not going to hijack this thread by continuing this discussion with you. I will just remind you that life as you see it in Montana is not what many of the rest of us see in our states. Have a good day.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:
Irover wrote:
I have no comment on the topic, but I say kudos to everyone as these posts did not get out of hand with negative remarks!! Really enjoyed reading them!

Although it does present a sad example of the state of our country today. Here's a family that just wants to see some of the US and is willing to actually WORK for that privilege and we collectively point out to them how they would be violating our laws.

On the other hand, we have thousands of illegals currently in the US who receive free food stamps, housing, health care, education to include college, and a supplement each month for each child they bear in the US and are even receiving voting privileges in some states!

I say if you want to see Texas you are welcome to stay at my place. That is the least I can do after all the hospitality I have been shown during my several trips through Canada!
How is what the OP proposes, illegally working in the US, any different than what the illegal alien picking fruit, or mowing grass is doing. They are both taking low paying, no benefits, manual labor positions away from deserving Americans. They are both in violation of laws that are commonly violated to the detriment of hard working Americans. I know I dream of the day I can shingle roofs in 100 degree heat and not have to compete with an illegal alien for the privilege.
Perhaps the difference is the average illegal alien is working to send money home to support his family that likely lives in extreme poverty, while the OP wants to extend his vacation. Personally, my preferences for tolerance of people breaking laws lean towards those who are trying desperately to improve their families lives and provide them with at least the basics we take for granted. But apparently you feel spending extra time on vacation is a nobler aspiration.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rag-ftw wrote:
Irover wrote:
I have no comment on the topic, but I say kudos to everyone as these posts did not get out of hand with negative remarks!! Really enjoyed reading them!

Although it does present a sad example of the state of our country today. Here's a family that just wants to see some of the US and is willing to actually WORK for that privilege and we collectively point out to them how they would be violating our laws.

On the other hand, we have thousands of illegals currently in the US who receive free food stamps, housing, health care, education to include college, and a supplement each month for each child they bear in the US and are even receiving voting privileges in some states!

Irover: Perhaps you spoke too soon.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Irover wrote:

I say if you want to see Texas you are welcome to stay at my place. That is the least I can do after all the hospitality I have been shown during my several trips through Canada!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

Irover
Explorer
Explorer

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Naio wrote:
I don't think that work trades violate minimum wage laws, unless the work required is valued higher than what is received in trade.

And most places evade the issue by calling it volunteering. I would guess it is legal to accept foreigners as volunteers.

The employer would be required to report the value of what is received as income. Depending upon the situation, it would either be on a W-2 or a 1099.

Yes, of course, although that is not for the OP to worry about.

If reported the op could be ordered out of the U.S. and refused future entry.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
For the OP you may want to contact garyhaupt a Canadian member of the forum who has jumped the hurdles of volunteering legally in the US if I recall his posts from a few years back.

Gary posts a lot on this forum in the Canada/Alaska section. Just make a post titled "Gary Haupt..Are You Out There"? He'll reply. He likes to talk. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
For the OP you may want to contact garyhaupt a Canadian member of the forum who has jumped the hurdles of volunteering legally in the US if I recall his posts from a few years back.
I'm not familiar with BLM use requirements but I assume they apply to non-residents as well so for very few dollars one can camp in the beautiful southwest for minimal cost. May try it myself next winter.

Me too!!! and thanks for the tip ๐Ÿ™‚

I was just thinking along the lines of I'd rather have SOME services and perhaps some local knowledge to rely on versus BLM and boondocking on your own. Well, I thought it was a good idea but maybe not.. LOL

Honestly, the vision would be to do a little of both. I can see boondocking has it's value but so does visiting/helping 'friends' and or staying at a full blown RV resort for $50.00/night.. I guess I'm trying to combine our camping plans with a bed/breakfast idea. Only we are bringing our own bed/breakfast. I KNOW I cannot work in the U.S. without legal ramifications so that brought us to where we are now. I will help around the yard if i can park on the yard..

There sure are days when I miss the 'gentlemen's handshake' of yester-year. Appears if the lawyers haven't already ruined it, the fear of the lawyers has. LOL

Thanks to all replies so far, it is an interesting read.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with BLM use requirements but I assume they apply to non-residents as well so for very few dollars one can camp in the beautiful southwest for minimal cost. May try it myself next winter.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like the camp host might be the best option. Don't forget the healthcare issue, you lose it for when you return if you don't spend at least 6 months of the year in Canada. You could maybe do your summer exploring in Canada and winter in the US.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
Thank you all for the replies...

WesternRVParkOwner has brought up some very valid points in regards to the "foreign worker" situation which I kinda already knew. Which is why a lot of the workamper and other sites don't really fit for what I'm talking about.

But let's say me/you are friends and I am staying at your house. You are in the procedure of building a garage and I offer to assist. I don't want to be paid a nickle. Not one dime. But, I do kinda expect room and meals and probably a beer or two while helping you build your garage, etc. Is that still illegal? I completely understand I can't come to the U.S. to work but what defines "work"? Do I have to get paid to be considered 'work'?

What I'm looking at is something outside of the normal pay structure... Not volunteering for church's, not workamping for $$ but parking my bigazz RV in your driveway and doing some chores around the yard in return.

Being from Canada, we don't automatically revert to the 'what happens if / insurance ramifications / lawsuit" scenarios that most seem to jump to so quickly.. Or, maybe it's just THIS Canadian.

I guess what I need is a website to make friends on so I can just go visit them. ๐Ÿ™‚ Facebook here I come.......

It wont matter if you do it as friends or not. It has nothing to do with getting paid, it has to do with liability. People probably do it all the time but it would be a lot like hiring someone from Craigslist or similar to what westernrv said. If I hire someone off CL to do something on my property and they get hurt they are not covered by workmen compensation and I get sued. If I tell you that you can come over and camp on my property and not even work and you get hurt you could sue me. I dont know how canada works and there may in fact not be many lawsuits but I do know that there are no free lunches so you are paying through higher taxes one way or the other. I know, you have FREE health care too.

That's why I suggested escapees. I dont know if a Canadian can work there, that's for you to research. It's a volunteer program so I'm sure their insurance covers them when you are complying with their rules.

Hiring

This is how bad it can be

Angie

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies...

WesternRVParkOwner has brought up some very valid points in regards to the "foreign worker" situation which I kinda already knew. Which is why a lot of the workamper and other sites don't really fit for what I'm talking about.

But let's say me/you are friends and I am staying at your house. You are in the procedure of building a garage and I offer to assist. I don't want to be paid a nickle. Not one dime. But, I do kinda expect room and meals and probably a beer or two while helping you build your garage, etc. Is that still illegal? I completely understand I can't come to the U.S. to work but what defines "work"? Do I have to get paid to be considered 'work'?

What I'm looking at is something outside of the normal pay structure... Not volunteering for church's, not workamping for $$ but parking my bigazz RV in your driveway and doing some chores around the yard in return.

Being from Canada, we don't automatically revert to the 'what happens if / insurance ramifications / lawsuit" scenarios that most seem to jump to so quickly.. Or, maybe it's just THIS Canadian.

I guess what I need is a website to make friends on so I can just go visit them. ๐Ÿ™‚ Facebook here I come.......