cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Put a cover on the camper bout a month ago and didn’t run any of the straps around it. It’s super sheltered where it’s at and actually watched in yesterday in a wind storm and it was barely moving. Figgered it was pretty skookum after seeing the trees bending sideways in the wind and the cover just looked happy.
Ha! I came home tonight power was out. No lights in the drive. Went back out to my truck after getting the genny fired up and **** camper was sitting there naked!
Cover laid out behind it perfectly straight like it was ready to be rolled up!
Guess all them straps are there for a reason. Lol!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
38 REPLIES 38

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Because I deal with New England Winters I will use the Rv covers. I figure if the cover helps deflect moisture it may have a benefit, also noticed the covers help keep the exterior cleaner but that's just my 2 cents. Cover is on Nov to April after that cover is off and in storage, not sure if I would want a cover on in the sumertime humidity.

I live on top of a hill with a open field across from me along with my open property. I deal with lots of wind related problems with the covers, usually ripping on the Rv corners where the rain gutters are. I'm on my 3rd cover with my present Jayco, Camping World cover lasted 2 winters, now I'm back to Adco

Mike

Absolutely keeps them cleaner.
And that's the funny thing about RVs and the funny thing about RVers.
One conversation is about how hard it is to get those place streaks of the siding and how important it is that all caulking and roof penetrations are well sealed and inspected regularly.
And the next conversation is someone saying how covers are a waste of time and money.....

To each their own I'll say. But I do know my shiny white camper is still spotless after a month or so in schitty weather. My (uncovered) snowmachine trailer got washed a couple months ago and is starting to turn green on top again!
Even the camper, during the summer months, the gutters needed washed out a couple times to keep from overflowing. As of right now, the leaves and maple seeds would have made a mess of the clean roof and gutters and then streaks everywhere down the sides from water running over the gutters.

I've got 2 trailers to cover this month, 1st is my present Jayco that I had hoped to sell this late fall but seems I will have to wait to spring.

2nd is our new to us 2017 Jayco 24 RBS that we just purchased, along with some research we can tell the previous owner had NEVER used it. Trailer has some mild black streaks on the sides that I can not remove. I am almost certain trailer was never covered. Certainly was not a deal breaker for us considering the overall condition of the trailer :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:

Since it only comes down a foot or so, I've been able to wrestle off the edges. Getting it back over the fall can be a bit of a challenge.

That makes more sense. Just a cap for the roof.

There is one guarantee ,you will be the first to know if that cover was worth it .:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:

Since it only comes down a foot or so, I've been able to wrestle off the edges. Getting it back over the fall can be a bit of a challenge.

That makes more sense. Just a cap for the roof.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Used a cover on my previous fifth wheel for a few years, never any damage I could see. Friend covered his on 'MY" recommendation for one winter ,terrible rub marks . He had it tied down pretty well. One of my sons covered his motorhome ,same results some bad rub marks , never covered it again .

Not sure what the difference was with mine , other then the fifth wheel had four slide outs with toppers that held it way from the sides a bit at the top . The front ,and back caps were subject to rubbing , but never seen any dull spots or rub marks . I did wrap the rain gutters to prevent any tearing of the cover .

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Re-useble shrink wrap? Tell me more. I thought that was one time use.

It's supposed to be one time use, but it's holding up well to being folded and rolled, then unfolded semi annually. The plastic is pretty heavy duty too. I had the guy install vents so I could use the trailer while the cover was on. And I'll share that I sat a peaked structure on the roof before the cover was initially installed so that snow and rain run off.

Good idea!
I always thought that they were one and done and you had to un zip them with a utility knife! Must have a couple zippers or something?

Sorry I didn't see this before. Since it only comes down a foot or so, I've been able to wrestle off the edges. Getting it back over the fall can be a bit of a challenge.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go:

2015 Ram 1500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:

I'd love to see pictures of this if you have them.

I've seen drunks at camp pranking our friends and shrink-wrapping the trailer and/or off-road cars of the first ones to poop out and go to bed, but I didn't know that shrink-wrapping the RV was a legitimate thing. I'd love to see it.

Lol
Seen a roll of shrink wrap in our sons car this spring (18, graduated high school this spring). I was like what's that for? Uhhh, nothin dad...

That other feller is talking about the heavy white stuff that they wrap boats in, not pallet wrap.

dedmiston
TurnThePage wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

It's supposed to be one time use, but it's holding up well to being folded and rolled, then unfolded semi annually. The plastic is pretty heavy duty too. I had the guy install vents so I could use the trailer while the cover was on. And I'll share that I sat a peaked structure on the roof before the cover was initially installed so that snow and rain run off.

I'd love to see pictures of this if you have them.

I've seen drunks at camp pranking our friends and shrink-wrapping the trailer and/or off-road cars of the first ones to poop out and go to bed, but I didn't know that shrink-wrapping the RV was a legitimate thing. I'd love to see it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mdcamping wrote:
Because I deal with New England Winters I will use the Rv covers. I figure if the cover helps deflect moisture it may have a benefit, also noticed the covers help keep the exterior cleaner but that's just my 2 cents. Cover is on Nov to April after that cover is off and in storage, not sure if I would want a cover on in the sumertime humidity.

I live on top of a hill with a open field across from me along with my open property. I deal with lots of wind related problems with the covers, usually ripping on the Rv corners where the rain gutters are. I'm on my 3rd cover with my present Jayco, Camping World cover lasted 2 winters, now I'm back to Adco

Mike

Absolutely keeps them cleaner.
And that's the funny thing about RVs and the funny thing about RVers.
One conversation is about how hard it is to get those place streaks of the siding and how important it is that all caulking and roof penetrations are well sealed and inspected regularly.
And the next conversation is someone saying how covers are a waste of time and money.....

To each their own I'll say. But I do know my shiny white camper is still spotless after a month or so in schitty weather. My (uncovered) snowmachine trailer got washed a couple months ago and is starting to turn green on top again!
Even the camper, during the summer months, the gutters needed washed out a couple times to keep from overflowing. As of right now, the leaves and maple seeds would have made a mess of the clean roof and gutters and then streaks everywhere down the sides from water running over the gutters.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Good idea!
I always thought that they were one and done and you had to un zip them with a utility knife! Must have a couple zippers or something?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2015 Ram 1500

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

And as I think I said earlier in this post, I can think of many conditions when this cover or probably any lightweight cover wouldn’t last long. Be it UV or wind damage or both.
One has to be a little smarter than the weather.
Reminds me, I got a few more trees on the neighbors property I need to dump as soon as the leaves are down. Dropped probably 50 trees that were encroaching out of the woods back when we moved in. Few small ones that I left alone 10 years ago are now in a position that they could come down on the trailers or shop.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I had my trailer shrink wrapped down to the navigation lights so I could still open the door. It worked out great and I've been reusing that same cover since. It's tight fitting and formed to all the solar and vents on the roof. The straps are tight and spaced away from the walls in a couple spots. No rubbing or damage that I've been able to find despite intense wind at times.
2015 Ram 1500