cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter allergies Florida vs. Arizona

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We are having a lot of allergies in AZ right now. Especially the DW. We wonder if Florida might actually be better??? Seems unlikely, but thought I'd ask.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has several pollen allergies, and I'm allergic to cold weather. We're both doing fine this winter in southern and central Florida. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
In AZ if you stay outside populated areas such as a state park the pollen's will be lower. In the city people plants lots of non-native vegetation.

I don't know about that. We are in Lost Dutchman SP, and our allergies are the worst here by far on our trip of about six weeks. One of the main plants is pollinating. I don't know what the plant is. It's a good sized bush with small green leaves and very small yellowish flowers. Anyway it's bad right now.

I think the bush you're talking about is called brittlebush. It covers the state park's hillside and is beautiful in bloom but I guess you're not enjoying it very much. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
I don't know about that. We are in Lost Dutchman SP, and our allergies are the worst here by far on our trip of about six weeks. One of the main plants is pollinating. I don't know what the plant is. It's a good sized bush with small green leaves and very small yellowish flowers. Anyway it's bad right now.

Its an unusual winter in AZ with temps 15 degrees above normal. Seems to be causing plants to bloom en-masse and very early. I too have very bad allergies and this years been a problem.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
In AZ if you stay outside populated areas such as a state park the pollen's will be lower. In the city people plants lots of non-native vegetation.

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
I have more than 100 allergies, & am doing just fine here in south Florida... :B

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer

The higher elevations have less allergens in the winter months but it can be too cold or possibly snowy depending on elevation.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo wrote:
sjholt wrote:
Loratadine(AllerClear) and Wal-phed(Pseudoephedrine HCL) are your friends.

But not if you have high blood pressure.

Yup, I was about to say the same thing.

They can do some really good allergy tests now to determine what it is that you are allergic too. My sister had bad allergies and after the testing was done she was able to just stay away from certain things. Plus, then they could treat her allergies with medication better when they knew exactly what they were treating her for.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:

But not if you have high blood pressure.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on what you are allergic to, how long it takes you to become sensitized to something new.

I grew up in southern Michigan, my allergies were to what was growing there. In summer we could get away from most of those allergens by going to the U.P. or the northern parts of the L.P. Going south into corn country, they just got worse.

Twelve weeks in San Antonio, either my Michigan allergies were still acting up or my fellow trainees kept reinfecting me with rhinoviruses. Two years in coastal Carolina I was mostly symptom free, two years in Indianapolis got me back into allergy country. Then in Central Florida, I was symptom free for the first year but before the end of the second I had been sensitized to Florida pollens and molds.

The usual problem in Arizona is that all the migrants from the Midwest and Northeast have brought their favorite ornamental plants with them, in that climate they just need watering. When you get into the frost-free parts of Florida, a lot of the northern plants don't do well, so you are mostly dealing with a new flora, exposing yourself to mostly new allergens. It takes a while for your overactive immune system to respond, but eventually it will.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have allergic like symptoms simply from prolonged exposure to very dry air. I have to run humidifiers 24/7 in the winter time around here.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
The longer you stay in AZ the better they may get. First couple winters I was miserable, not a problem since. Also stay on a regiment of OTC allergy meds all year. The wind can be a problem as well. Might try a sinus spray or a nelli pot to clean out the sinuses of dust and pollen.

good luck!

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Last spring we were in Apache Junction visiting the in-laws, we stayed at Lost Dutchman for 6 nights. Wife's sister and her hubby were going to join us for the weekend, my B-I-L was absolutely miserable with his allergies and ended up leaving after just one day out there! What surprised me is that I'm the one that usually has problems with allergies, I had no problems what so ever.

I guess it greatly depends on what YOU"RE allergic to.

Dan

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Pollen count map

It appears that right now, the states have similar pollen problems - so it boils down to WHAT you're allergic to? I can see where the dry AZ air might make allergies seem more uncomfortable?

I'm in FL, and in spite of my allergies to molds and tree pollen, I've been pretty comfortable.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!