cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winter camping advice

lpranger467
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, We need to use a camper in northern Michigan over this winter while we build our home. We are trying to buy an "artic" version and likely wont use the water lines (I'll have jugs of water for flushing the toilet).

Will the onboard furnace be enough to warm the eunit in most cases in winter ? I'm very hesitant to leave my wife/cats alone in the trailer out of fear of a fire. I was wondering if electric baseboard heaters would work as well.

Any advice, experieces would be welcome
48 REPLIES 48

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
tomman58 wrote:
"Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything." Michigan is colder you are far, far wetter.

Ok, your both wrong. Other than that, the winter temps and overall precipitation are actually fairly close between western SD and northern MI.
PS itโ€™s drier in the Black Hills than the north woods of the Upper Midwest.

Regardless, it is not even a point of comparison within the context of this thread other than to recognize that basically one would experience the same issues using a camper in either location.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
"Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything." Michigan is colder you are far, far wetter.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

This is the best suggestion. It doesn't take much to make an rv much more suitable in the winter, but it does take something.

Just heating the building to near freezing will make you much more comfortable inside your rv.

Thanks Deiseltruckdriver,

We did this when we built and it saved not paying for storage. We also had a place to store the cabinets and other materials for getting everything lined out. I helps minimize delays which always seemed to happen.

In the end the breezway between house and garage is a nice place to sit outside in summer.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

This is the best suggestion. It doesn't take much to make an rv much more suitable in the winter, but it does take something.

Just heating the building to near freezing will make you much more comfortable inside your rv.

Great generic solution to living in a camper in sub zero weather for sure.
But did either of you look at the calendar or consider the OPs location with this recommendation? Lol
With Santa arriving in 2 weeks and no camper, no shop even started or apparently contemplated, how realistic is this recommendation?
Put your thinking caps on, kidsโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
lpranger467 wrote:
What brand do you have if you dont mind

dieseltruckdriver wrote:
We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.

If you looked at his signature, you'd see that they own a 2018 Arctic Fox trailer, which is one of the brands I recommended as a true 4 season trailer.

๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
lpranger467 wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:
We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.

If you looked at his signature, you'd see that they own a 2018 Arctic Fox trailer, which is one of the brands I recommended as a true 4 season trailer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dedmiston
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
IDman wrote:
There is a reason that RV parks and CGs close in the winter. The same reason is why RV owners winterize their rigs.

Be realistic and rent an apartment.

Hmmmm. That's pretty much what I said . . . before my post got removed. What gives here? Did somebody find my suggestion of a more sensible alternative (from a former Michigander, no less) offensive or something?

You replied to a different thread (duplicate) and I nuked the entire thread per the OP's request. Please don't take it personally.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
lpranger467 wrote:
We are goint to try to build a small cabin (on piers due to frost) just as quickly as we can. Figured I can frame it in a week or so, use metal roof for now and pop a wood burning stove inside and mainly sleep there. I think I will still have atleast 2 months in a trailer though. I'm now leaning towards just getting a non-slide out as that its cheaper, and I figure less seals to leak.

Put the roof and walls over and around the camper. Vent the furnace out the roof.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Most, but not all, RV parks close for the winter. Some see winter as a business opportunity.
My family stayed in this one in a Class A (1970s) for 2 weeks one Christmas.

Tiger Run RV Resort in Breckinridge CO (at ~8,000ft).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
There is a reason that RV parks and CGs close in the winter. The same reason is why RV owners winterize their rigs.

Be realistic and rent an apartment.

Hmmmm. That's pretty much what I said . . . before my post got removed. What gives here? Did somebody find my suggestion of a more sensible alternative (from a former Michigander, no less) offensive or something?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

lpranger467
Explorer
Explorer
We are goint to try to build a small cabin (on piers due to frost) just as quickly as we can. Figured I can frame it in a week or so, use metal roof for now and pop a wood burning stove inside and mainly sleep there. I think I will still have atleast 2 months in a trailer though. I'm now leaning towards just getting a non-slide out as that its cheaper, and I figure less seals to leak.

lpranger467
Explorer
Explorer

dieseltruckdriver wrote: