cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter RV'ing, Trials and tribulations!! Haha!

OK, Bob here with another story..... Some of you here know me for some stories I have related through my RV experiences. Here is another one!!

I ran out of work at home and there are a number of companies out there who know me for my skills and want me to come do some work for them.

OK, so a good friend of mine has been after me for a long time to come help him catch up with his sunroom installations. So dummy Bob waits until November to run out to Alberta, Calgary to be exact, to jump out there and install some projects.

November?? Sure why not! OK, so I hook up the TT and go for it!

I get here and for the first few days all is well, around freezing but what the heck. I get to my first project and things are OK.

But! then it got cold, temp dropped to minus 26C. Gads man what am I doing? TT is having a tough time - ice on the inside of the windows, use the potty and can't open the FF for some "fresh air" danged thing is frozen shut!!! Yeah well I guess it will ventilate itself eventually............

Somebody has lost his marbles here... Who in their right mind would go to a freezing area like Calgary and try to keep all systems a go?

Yeah Bob! dummy Bob! Sign me up! I'll do it! I am always up for an adventure! And an adventure it has been for sure. 7 30 pounders of propane since Nov 12 but I am warm here....

Got the "stat" set to keep me warm and all is well.

Somehow I seemed to have cracked something on my black water dump valve! Oh wonderful! YEAH Bob you're awesome! Park on the customers driveway and drip sewage on his concrete!! Can't believe how fantastic you are!!

Ewwwwwwwww.........

So, a little red in the face I tell my customer - heyyyyyy pal sorry about the green stuff and the smell... but yeah it appears I have a leak coming from that thar pipe that connects to the.... well you know, the place where I sit down and ..... well you know....

Anyhow Mr. customer, sorry about the stain! I'll hose it down before I leave!

Are you laughing yet? I am! Can't see straight I'm laughing so hard!

Life is fun, only fun, no matter what happens. And for you who were weaned on a pickle and can't find humor in anything, well I'm sorry but life is fun and full of fun things. Lighten up and laugh for once in your life!

OK,on with the story.

Me! Thats who! I am an adventurer I am!

So shortly after I go here the temps plummeted way down, way down. Did I say way down? Yeah, way down. I hit minus 26C. Thats about minus 15F. Not exactly your typical comfy RV temperature!

Suck it up Bob, move on. So I did. Got the job done, happy customer and so on. Got paid, yahoo, I can buy some real food instead of this outdated packaged stuff I inherited from my mom when she died in Jan 12.

Next project, Calgary Alberta, lets go!

Oh boy what the heck is with this weather? And what in the flipping heck is with this white stuff?
first day I get things going and everything is ok.

Next day I get there and the snow is blowing 40 miles an hour sideways. And it is friggin cold!

I have my TT set up in an empty lot beside my customers house and it is good, nice and convenient.

I am on government property and have to be in line with their stupid rules, some jacka** comes along and tells me I can't be here! Liability and all that ! I mean seriously, what if I trip on a snowflake and injure myself and sue the government for 500 million dollars? Can't have that! I have to leave!

So in the middle of a really bad winter storm I have to pack up the TT and go find somewhere to park this thing. Winds are blowing so hard you can't see sweet all in front of you.

OK, I decide I'll hitch up and leave, so I do.

Middle of a freakin blizzard, oh yeah this is wonderful!

I get hitched up and So Sorry camperforlife and your wonderful post about warning about stepping over the hitch and doing a faceplant, but I did it anyways and stepped over my hitch and got the flip done, and I headed out.

I head down the highway, guided by my GPS, Snowing hard, freakin windshield wipers are icing up something fierce and I can't see where the flip I am going. roads are covered with so much snow I can't see the lanes. Weave back and forth, I can sorta see where I'm going, almost.

I get to my destination, the shop where I am working from and I find the wind has blown 3 foot snowdrifts where I need to park. I need to back in there, Hmmmmmmmmm. OK, line it up, poke the 4 WD button, crank on it, blow away the 3 foot drift and put the TT there. Hahaha! The heck with you snowdrifts!

OK, gotta plug in. I am knee deep in snow trying to get into the shop to plug in my cord. Got it done but gee whiz, the snow!!!

I waded through 3 foot deep drifts and got it done, here i am now hooked up and ready for the night.

Yunno, this is a blast! winter camping at its finest!

Gotta say, this is awesome! Here I am in the middle of a storm, TT rockin in the wind and loving the challenge of the event!!

So what is this about easy summer camping?

C'mon guys, lets have some winter FUN!!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there have any " male kahoonas?", and willing to haul the TT through this stuff?

3 feet deep in snow.,
How many of you will participate?

RV'ing is good!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
12 REPLIES 12

Roy&Lynne wrote:
Great story, Sorry for your troubles

No trouble - it's all fun!!! :B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

pianotuna wrote:
Hi Bob,

At least you have not lost your sense of humor.

I see the true cold is about to descend upon us. Forecast for Friday night in Regina is -33 C. (-27.4 f).

Go to Walmart and buy a heating pad. You may need to tuck it around the propane tank and/or regulator if the weather really goes much colder. The propane may not boil fast enough to supply the furnace.

While you are at it get a 2nd one for your bed.

I'll never lose my sense of humor!!

Hadn't thought about the propane flow stopping. Good tip, thanks.
Bed isn't too bad if I keep myself down the mattress a bit. Top is frozen to the wall - storage compartment is right below. I brought some 1 1/2" SM foam, but haven't got around to cutting a chunk for the storage bay door. Suppose I should do it...
I did insulate a few windows on the inside with 1/4" foam board (Fome-Cor). That helped a bit. Should do the rest instead of being on the computer!
I keep the thermostat up enough to keep it around 70 in here. It's comfy enough.

westend wrote:
Geeze Bob, just out for a rip?:B

The good news is that, if the wind keeps up, you'll have the rig skirted in no time.

Keep warm up there!

Funny video!

Woke up this morning and it was half skirted! Drifts 3 feet deep in some places.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze Bob, just out for a rip?:B

The good news is that, if the wind keeps up, you'll have the rig skirted in no time.

Keep warm up there!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NYCFive1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving back to NY from Florida several years ago in January we stopped at South of The Border CG in SC. We were thinking about staying another night because the weather was so mild. I heard about the storm approaching the East coast on the radio and decided to get going in our 13 year old class A. The light snow turned into a major storm when we reached Virginia. Used the rest stop wastewater dump station in Virginia. Lots of fun when it's snowing and the wind is blowing. Back on the road the visibility was 100 feet but that was fine since the snow plow-salter was 100 feet ahead for the next 40 miles. Just under 15 hours for a 10 hour drive we arrived home with an inch of snow on the ground. About 10 hours later we awoke to 13 inches of snow. Does running from a snowstorm count as winter camping ?
NYCFive1

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Great story, Sorry for your troubles

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Bob,

I see the true cold is about to descend upon us. Forecast for Friday night in Regina is -33 C. (-27.4 f).

Go to Walmart and buy a heating pad. You may need to tuck it around the propane tank and/or regulator if the weather really goes much colder. The propane may not boil fast enough to supply the furnace.

And another for your tanks, and one for the dump valve, and one for...........

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ontario the coldest I've had the rig out is just about where you are ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just up around Godrich on the Northern end of Huron, right in the snow belt ๐Ÿ™‚

Pushed Algonquin at -20C as well.

Love winter camping :B
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
good story Bob...

I have had some winter fun times as well but definitely not to those extremes...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Remind me not to complain about the little bit of frost on my windshield a couple of days ago.

Glad that it only got down to 26 in Portland OR this past week. STill cold enough that I had to run the car about 4 minutes before the frost was clear, and I could drive to work.

GPS Is a great thing to have in the fog, it can help you look for the curves in the roads!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob Key West is 76F, just sayin. When I retire I will not own a snow blower, snow shovel or ice scraper.