cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wish List to design better RVs

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haven't done this in awhile: a thread about our wish list for improvements in RV design in the hopes manufacturers will take notice and make a more practical and reliable RV. One suggestion from the past has begun to be offered - the hot water on demand water heater.

To get the ideas flowing, here's mine:
- More durable roofing: also stop cutting holes in the roof for AC units which make opportunities for leaking as the RV ages and makes the unit taller for air drag. Install them in the sides and use the floor ducting.
- Kitchen: two burner stoves as standard for more counter space. These are showing up more but it's not universal... yet:B
- Storage: modular closets/cabinets options. Think IKEA and let the customers create the configuration that suits them eg floor to ceiling tall or multiple short closets and everywhere in-between. This could be done easily with a designated wardrobe space in the floorplan. With twin beds the logical place is in between. :w
- Rear window: eliminate it. It's cold in winter and hot in summer, usually right over our heads in the bed. There's enough light in the bedroom which is for sleeping AND it can't be used for backing anyway.
-Fuel mileage: we're seeing improvements, thankfully but the class Cs need a fuel efficient gasoline option vs the diesels being used.

Any others?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
51 REPLIES 51

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Add felt pads to inside edegs of bottom door guides on sliding doors. One less rattle.

Replace huge deck plate in power bay with 30/50 amp cable hatch. Keeps rodents and bigger bugs out.

Get chassis mfg to deliver chassis with long stems on inner dual.

Change ionization smoke detectors to photoelectric. Frequent false alarms result in battery removal and loss of important protection. False alarms were so bad for us that I had to remove battery from mid coach detector. We could not even make toast without setting off both detectors. I converted the two original detectors to photoelectric and added one in front. Not one false alarm since. There was nothing wrong with the ionization detectors - they were working as desigend - going into alarm on things we can't see.
Also more smoke detectors. Have fire protection for every floor plan approved by a certified fire alarm planner. RVIA/UL standard is a joke. Last time I looked only ONE detector is required - regardless of size or floor plan. One time cost is a few hundred bucks for each floor plan is insignificant.

Vent microwave/convection to outside.

Put frig on floor - adequate return air for furnace not that hard
Many mfg's putting it about one foot above floor.

Require EVERY vendor supplying appliances, furniture and major components to have a website with manuals and self help info.

Mfg produced DVD in player with every new coach for sales demo and buyer use later. Tells mfg story, explains features of the coach and how to use the various systems.

Customers at factory for service often run out of things to do. Let them inspect finished products while they wait

Ventilation is a problem with all frameless windows - not enough surface area and they block any wind. Add another ceiling vent with fan in front.

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
More couples floorplans that have twin beds. I'm all for being cozy with my wife, but let's get real. Twin beds give much more flexibility, and a bigger aisle in the bedroom where you can actually stand and get dressed, etc.

Because the twin bed could double as a lounging spot, it's possible to get more functionality in a smaller space.

I like the smaller, 2 burner stove top idea. This is not 1966 any more.
DW and I do like having an oven, but we are coming to the conclusion that a GOOD micro/convection unit will be "okay".

I love windows. More please. BUT, yes, if you camp in cold weather they are cold. I would love to see (at least aftermarket) insulated window coverings that are classy and easy to use.

Better leak proofing in the engineering phase.

Quieter, more fuel efficient gensets.
Well engineered solar wiring prep. Or at least one or two built in pathways to get solar or wifi or ham wiring to the roof.

For towables, better suspension and tires. Again, this is NOT 1966 any more!

x2...we love our twin beds, so much more room. I like the Artic Fox 22G if they would put in a Twin Bed option, would be more like a lounge and a lot more comfortable since the only other place to sit is the dinette.

Smaller 2 burner stove top...no oven, we cook outside. Less holes! No outside shower, no outside speakers, no skylights, no outside TV, too much caulking and leaks.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I think better insulation of the unit and improved sound proofing around the furnace and a/c.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, in pickup trucks, you can buy basic work models, grocery getters, pimped up grocery getters, and strong stout models.

In most RV lines the choices are equal to grocery getters and pimped up grocery getters.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:
tll wrote:
3.Better quality and construction all the way around. I would be willing to pay more for a rv that was proven to be constructed better.

And yet you didn't buy a Northwoods or BigFoot - just two of the higher-priced, proven better quality, brands available. The manufacturers meet the demand that sells.

I tried really hard, no Bigfoot dealers close by plus they are too small, no slideouts.
Looked at Northwoods but my Wife couldn't be sold on any of their floorplans, plus it was a 4 hour drive to the closest dealer.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
3.Better quality and construction all the way around. I would be willing to pay more for a rv that was proven to be constructed better.

And yet you didn't buy a Northwoods or BigFoot - just two of the higher-priced, proven better quality, brands available. The manufacturers meet the demand that sells.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

tll
Explorer
Explorer
1.Quick putting the couch and dinette next to each other. It makes for a crappy conversation area when gathered during rainy days or other inside times. I just hate always trying to talk to somebody behind me.
2. Build frames and bumpers strong enough to hold bikes and racks. The manufactures are in denial about this, it is time they figured out that the majority of owners do this, and it better not void the frame warranty.
4. Match carrying capacity with the room and intended number of people using the rv. Why build a trailer with tons of room when you can only fill half the the storage before hitting the carrying capacity? Stupid.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make it more like a cruising boat & less like a house on wheels.

There is tons of potential storage spaces wasted in RVs.

Do away with the 12V automotive type fuse panel. Once you have blown your last 15amp fuse & you are miles away from the nearest Pep Boys, you are out of luck. Install 12V circuit breaker panels just like any halfway decent cruising boat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Some pretty funny posts in this thread.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Banzai_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Higher Hangers I went with higher hangers and they are working great.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:

. Being no longer limited by heavy weights, you can place TVs directly across from where people sit, instead of forcing everyone to sit sideways.

YES.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Hanging wardrobes on either side of the bed are never long enough for anyone's clothing, except a small child's, to not puddle up on the bottom. If that area can't accommodate adult shirts, then don't make it a hanging wardrobe. Make it into shelves.

If it's close, look at Higher Hangers. They are legit. I have switched our entire wardrobe to them and it really freed up space below the clothes.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any wardrobe has to be deep enough to actually hold hangers with clothing on them. Our wardrobe is not deep enough, so anything hanging has to be at an angle, thereby lessening the amount one can hang.

Hanging wardrobes on either side of the bed are never long enough for anyone's clothing, except a small child's, to not puddle up on the bottom. If that area can't accommodate adult shirts, then don't make it a hanging wardrobe. Make it into shelves.

Position the microwave/convection oven where an average 5'3" person can actually reach it. Having to stand on a stool and hope the hot food doesn't scald you is a very stupid design, just waiting for the trailer manufacturer to have a lawsuit.

Use new technology, such as ultra thin TVs, to redesign interiors. Stop using the same old analog TV designs. Being no longer limited by heavy weights, you can place TVs directly across from where people sit, instead of forcing everyone to sit sideways.

Fiberglass roofs, not merely rolled over the top, but glassed into the roof so it will never come off (personal experience).
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
I'm with the 'no slideout' vote. Thieves have been using the vulnerability of the slideout to break into the rigs: re Cracker Barrel incident.

Huh? In our 16 years of full-timing and being around full-timers constantly we've never heard of a break-in instance, much less through a slide. This was, most likely, a one-time thing - breakins can happen anyplace to anyone with a regular house, car, etc. It's not a RV thing and certainly no a slide thing.

You haven't been reading the forum and RV news lately then.:B
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus