cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Working at Amazon - The Good the Bad and the Ugly

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I and my friend are interested in the Amazon Camperforce positions. However I would like to get the views of some of those who have actually applied and or worked there.

We would like you to share your views on this position, positive or negative as long as it is done in a civil manner. We would like a better "feel" for what the reality is.

We are not interested in simple Bashing of Amazon. We would like your honest, thoughtful opinions good or bad.

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
another good one for amazon experience is http://rikerrvdays.blogspot.com/
go to sept in 2014 and start reading.. remember to go to bottom of page and ready up//
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
http://www.interstellarorchard.com/

is a blog by a single woman who worked at Amazon. Very interesting!

This is worth reading and a great blog to follow.
pawatt

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
Fair question, sort of hard to put into words (for me anyway). Let's see, guy goes out, wants a compact car, buys one, finds out he doesn't like it, and then blames the car company, the dealership, and the salesman.

Don't get me wrong, most folks who sign up for Amazon seem to be able to go with the flow. Just don't go with some preconceived notion that your going to make it work to your advantage. Amazon is going to make it work to their advantage, if that's okay with you all is good.
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Why did you assume that people might "fight" or try to change the Amazon system??? It is after all their system.

3 peaks for us. Can only echo most of the sentiments above. Hard work. Long hours. Decent pay.

To address your question, surely you must know by now that there is a given percentage of people who are NEVER happy. Particularly there are those who always believe that they could do this a lot better "if they'd only.....". It's the old, "That's not the way WE used to do it" mentality. Trust me when I tell you that Amazon doesn't give a flying fandango how you did it. Some folks just don't like being told what to do. Amazon is NOT the place for them.

To capsulize some of the commentary here, do your job diligently, follow instructions, keep your opinions to yourself and you'll be just fine.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marsland wrote:
We worked at Amazon the 2013 Peak season (oct, nov, dec)(Fernley, NV. Not there anymore). It was our first time. I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is that you are there temporarily to do what Amazon wants you to do. If you can be flexible, and have a mind set simply do what they ask to the best of your ability, and not worry about anything else, you will be fine. I found that if you're productive, follow the rules, and remain upbeat you should have no trouble. As said before, don't try to argue with their way of doing things. I worked for Uncle Sam for 35 years and the Amazon way of doing things remind me of that to some degree.

The work can be physically demanding as mentioned above. We were VERY tired pups the first week but it got better. If you focus on just working and taking care of business on your days off the time will go by quickly. And you will make new friends and have a reasonably good time.

This is not a career. Three months of working equals about 60 actual work days. Even if you don't really like what you're doing 60 days is doable. If you don't fight it it goes by pretty quickly. I remember one guy bellyaching about whether or not we were going to get the promised free T-shirt or not. Really? Life's too short to fuss about stuff like that.

We are going back for our second time this year to Texas. Looking forward to it in fact.

Thanks for your input. But something about your post is curious...Why did you assume that people might "fight" or try to change the Amazon system??? It is after all their system. Did you see alot of that kind of thing working there?

Will Amazon do deferred compensation?

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
We worked at Amazon the 2013 Peak season (oct, nov, dec)(Fernley, NV. Not there anymore). It was our first time. I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is that you are there temporarily to do what Amazon wants you to do. If you can be flexible, and have a mind set simply do what they ask to the best of your ability, and not worry about anything else, you will be fine. I found that if you're productive, follow the rules, and remain upbeat you should have no trouble. As said before, don't try to argue with their way of doing things. I worked for Uncle Sam for 35 years and the Amazon way of doing things remind me of that to some degree.

The work can be physically demanding as mentioned above. We were VERY tired pups the first week but it got better. If you focus on just working and taking care of business on your days off the time will go by quickly. And you will make new friends and have a reasonably good time.

This is not a career. Three months of working equals about 60 actual work days. Even if you don't really like what you're doing 60 days is doable. If you don't fight it it goes by pretty quickly. I remember one guy bellyaching about whether or not we were going to get the promised free T-shirt or not. Really? Life's too short to fuss about stuff like that.

We are going back for our second time this year to Texas. Looking forward to it in fact.
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been following a couple of RVers that have done the Amazon thing now for the second year in a , 2013 & 2014, and have already heard from amazon again to be invited back for year 3. The first year they adimited was tough as they were out of shape and the work took a took.. for year 2 they decided to get in shape before the start and it really helped with stamina.

I hope this program is still going when I get on the road on 5-6 yrs as i see this as such a great way to make good money in a short period of time right before christmas as well..

I plan to keep up with my bloggers and take there advise about getting walking, biking etc to get active before you hit the warehouse and to enjoy the hectic schedule for the 3 months you are there.

Thanks to the CamperForce crew and Amazon for providing this wonderful opportunity to help out the RVer of the US.. (not all of us will retire with a bucket full of money)
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Couples work same shift if you want (I remember one couple with pets worked opposing shifts). Productivity targets are doable. Last year workampers were asked to reach 85% of usual targets. Also, there's a 'ramp-up' period for the first few weeks, to get your body and mind used to the pace.
It works like this: if the "target" is 100, your target will be 85. But week one it'll be 50 (or something like that), week 2 will be 65, week 3, 75.
Then, if you don't hit the target "consistently" they'll probably give you some remedial or 1 to 1 training to help you get on track. Then if after couple weeks you're still below par, maybe some more training or a move to another department. A few weeks more, maybe a "first warning" letter. Then they monitor your performance a couple of weeks, and suddenly "Hey, it's Christmas, goodbye."
More important than speed is accuracy. And timekeeping. If you make too many mistakes, or show up late (including after breaks) or if too many minutes pass between actions (the computer never sleeps), you will be talked to.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
sdianel wrote:

A good blog thanks for the tip and thankfully a well reasoned look at the job.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
HappyKayakers wrote:
Instead or retyping stuff, I'll just provide a link to my blog about beet harvest vs amazon http://happykayakers.com/?p=217

On edit: I just got an email from Amazon with a link to a webinar where you can ask questions: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4837274284907258882

Thanks for your blog link. As for the Amazon webinar; I have their side of the story, now I am looking for the other side from folks who have been there and done it.

The Beet Harvest work surprised me I thought that entire process would have been automated by now. But thanks for the tip.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
bluegypsy wrote:
You'll work hard and get paid well (IMHO). They check the RV parks they put you up in, and if you have issues with the park you can usually use Amazon as a channel to get things addressed if necessary.

Amazon has their way of doing things. Try not to re-invent their wheel while you're there. I always tell myself this, and usually end up ranting about issues to management while I'm there anyway, just can't help myself.

Some folks have reported getting "nagged" about getting their productivity numbers up to Amazon's targets. We've never been approached about this, so we haven't had an issue. They do post everyone's figures daily so you can see where you stand, I say don't worry about the numbers unless a management type asks you. Sometimes an "assistant" will tour around checking with folks whose numbers are below par, they're supposed to be there to help you improve, so don't take that as a "telling off" because it's not.

We're going again this year for our 5th season, if that tells you anything.

Thats very helpful thank you. A couple of questions: Are the productivity targets reasonable in your experience? As a couple did you work the same shift or different?

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll work hard and get paid well (IMHO). They check the RV parks they put you up in, and if you have issues with the park you can usually use Amazon as a channel to get things addressed if necessary.

Amazon has their way of doing things. Try not to re-invent their wheel while you're there. I always tell myself this, and usually end up ranting about issues to management while I'm there anyway, just can't help myself.

Some folks have reported getting "nagged" about getting their productivity numbers up to Amazon's targets. We've never been approached about this, so we haven't had an issue. They do post everyone's figures daily so you can see where you stand, I say don't worry about the numbers unless a management type asks you. Sometimes an "assistant" will tour around checking with folks whose numbers are below par, they're supposed to be there to help you improve, so don't take that as a "telling off" because it's not.

We're going again this year for our 5th season, if that tells you anything.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Instead or retyping stuff, I'll just provide a link to my blog about beet harvest vs amazon http://happykayakers.com/?p=217

On edit: I just got an email from Amazon with a link to a webinar where you can ask questions: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4837274284907258882
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch