cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

would you do it ?

stepside454
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 96 Fleetwood Bounder 36 ft motorhome with a tag axle on a Ford F53 Chassis. The motorhome & hitch are both rated to tow 3500 lbs.
we also have a 2009 Ford Taurus that we would like to tow behind it. the Taurus weighs 3900 lbs. so my question is, would you tow it ? an experienced buddy of mine ( who I probably shouldn't be doughting) says it wont be an issue, that its underrated .
12 REPLIES 12

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
A 1996 Fleetwood Bounder of your vintage Had the frame rails extended by Fleetwood during construction of the coach. This was to accommodate both the addition of the tag axle as well as the extra coach length. Depending on the quality and related engineering that went into that job it would cause me to adhere closely to that 3500 Lb. weight rating.

You could beef up the added frame rails and the manner of attachment to the original Ford rails as well as installing a 5000 Lb. or more rated hitch and properly rated attachments to the re-rated
frame rail extension. My guess that anything weighing more than the weight of your present setups rating would only serve to cause you more problems in the event of a mishap than you want or need.
jwmII

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
stepside454 wrote:
we have a 96 Fleetwood Bounder 36 ft motorhome with a tag axle on a Ford F53 Chassis. The motorhome & hitch are both rated to tow 3500 lbs.
we also have a 2009 Ford Taurus that we would like to tow behind it. the Taurus weighs 3900 lbs. so my question is, would you tow it ? an experienced buddy of mine ( who I probably shouldn't be doughting) says it wont be an issue, that its underrated .

Not even close to being an issue, but surprised you don't have a 5K lb on your rig. At any rate, it's easy enough to beef it up some and if not by you, then your local hitch install shop.
The most common problem with overloading and we're not talking about a few lbs. here, is with the transmission overheating and usually taking place, with being a ton or so over limit and arrived at, by it's rated GCWR less it's actual weight. Most everything else will handle it, upon close inspection, but the tranny won't like it and especially with the Chevy 4L80E that will tend to go into limp mode on long steep climbs in hot weather. This is a good thing for saving the day, though and one can always get 25% more towing power, by using low gear and keeping it under 25mph. That or disconnect and the latter might be wise in many instances. This you don't run across all that much from one end of the US to the other, but there are some challenges to be aware of and even if you stick to the interstates.
No matter what the case, be sure to have working toad brakes and always drive under the speed limit, which was designed for cars and even though the big rigs and the law, have never figured that out.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer
LIABILITY & STOPPING are the issues you need to be concerned about. Consult your ATTORNEY about these issues.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
To get additional length, the chassis was extended by welding beams onto the original framework.
It is my understanding that can be a weak spot.
--------------------------------------------------------------
This could be a concern,....for dead hitch weight only !
It would have nothing to do w/ the weight you are putting into forward motion,.....unless maybe you had about 6,000 horse power, and floorboarded it every time you took off. 400 hp is not going to stress any welds, trust me !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take an inexpensive, highly informative trip to a truck stop. Ideally with the RV loaded as for a trip. Have one of your crew drive the Taurus and pull both onto the CAT truck scale. Ideally the Taurus pilot gets out of the car and into the RV before the attendant triggers the scale. Only then will you know what the Taurus actually weighs and what the RV weighs. From that you can do GVWR and GCWR calculations, adjust tire pressures on the RV, and know what the Taurus weighs. All for $10.

Some of us have gone to qualified welding/fabrication/hitch shops and had reinforcing done. Sometimes the issue is that the 3500-lb hitch can be replaced with a 5000-lb hitch that spreads its mounting bolt load over a bigger footprint on the chassis rails.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
stepside454 wrote:
actually , I looked again, our Taurus is an SEL. it weighs 3720 lbs., the limited weighs 3900 lbs.

you should have the vehicle weighed with whatever gas you want in the tank and with whatever stuff you want it to carry. don't forget to subtract your weight when you weigh it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

stepside454
Explorer
Explorer
actually , I looked again, our Taurus is an SEL. it weighs 3720 lbs., the limited weighs 3900 lbs.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I have a 96 Fleetwood Southwind, 37' tag axle on a GM chassis.
I also have the 3500 lb. tow rating.
To get additional length, the chassis was extended by welding beams onto the original framework.
It is my understanding that can be a weak spot. If excess weight is towed it could possibly break the welds.

If I was going to tow something 4000 pounds a few miles at a slow speen, I would probably just do it.
But, towing a 'overweight' toad on a normal or extended trip. I think it's just asking for problems.

I'm definitely not an expert on towing or chassis construction.
Just giving you my opinion.
Enjoy your travels.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you don't over weight the hitch, (no way a towbar will) it is perfectly safe, I would do it in a heart beat.
Now if you ask about brakes, that's a whole nother story, and that's what I'm fighting right now.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I would exceed the weight ratings. In fact, I have done so, many times, with no problems.
BUT, please understand, that is just ME!
I do not recommend that YOU do it.
I also do not tell you to NOT do it.
It is a choice that YOU have to make, all on your own, and if there are any adverse consequences to your actions, YOU own them.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
stepside454 wrote:
we have a 96 Fleetwood Bounder 36 ft motorhome with a tag axle on a Ford F53 Chassis. The motorhome & tow bar are both rated to tow 3500 lbs.

nope. weight ratings are there for a reason. while you might get away with it for a while I believe that over time you will have issues.

the towbar can be replaced with one with a higher rating.

you say the MH is rated to tow 3500-lbs....do you mean the hitch is rated for 3500-lbs? if so then you have a problem. otherwise...

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

โ€ข the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

โ€ข the weight rating of your tow bar

โ€ข the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I were self centered, irresponsible and not concerned about the legal ramifications, sure I'd do it.

However, since I don't feel I know more, or are smarter than the engineers that placed those limitations on the coach, I'd find a toad that fell within those limitations.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG