cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Trip

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Going out to Yellowstone in June. Have reservations for a week outside of west entrance. After there going to Cody out through East entrance then over to Devils Tower and then Mt. Rushmore for the 4th of July. Then going east on 90 to visit kids in Massachusetts.

Best route out of Cody is supposedly Rte. 14 to 30 to 20 to 16 to 90.

Anyone ever done this route and comments and suggestions appreciated.

Seems the route through Yellowstone out to the East is fairly easy.

We'll be in our 40' Itasca Meridian with our toad following faithfully.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie
28 REPLIES 28

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Bighorns are a little tougher route, but one of the great mountain ranges in America. Don't miss it.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
if you have time, take a day drive out of Cody and drive the Chief Joseph scenic highway up to Bear Tooth Pass and down to Red Lodge MT and back to Cody. Great drive!!!! not for pulling a trailer or motorhome!
Cody to Ten Sleep to Buffalo and 90 on to Devil's tower. Crossing on 16 is the easiest of the three routes, but not a piece of cake, either. Going up out of Ten Sleep is not a hard climb. Going down to Buffalo is a lonnnnng descent, so watch your brakes. Other than that, it's a gorgeous drive, and there is water and a dump station up near the top of the pass.

We did the route in the other direction, ie north through the park and south on the
Chief Joseph Trail and felt that it was a lot easier on the brakes, very scenic either way.

Going through the Bighorn Tetons on the southern route with a class c towing a Jeep was not intimidating, but all ten cylinders were churning.
It would not be a good route to drive at night, as sheep or deer crossing the road
are tough enough to deal with in daylight.

Mid September it was 80 in Cody and snowing on the way into
the park.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Buffalo bill state park has some nice sites by the river
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
if you have time, take a day drive out of Cody and drive the Chief Joseph scenic highway up to Bear Tooth Pass and down to Red Lodge MT and back to Cody. Great drive!!!! not for pulling a trailer or motorhome!
Cody to Ten Sleep to Buffalo and 90 on to Devil's tower. Crossing on 16 is the easiest of the three routes, but not a piece of cake, either. Going up out of Ten Sleep is not a hard climb. Going down to Buffalo is a lonnnnng descent, so watch your brakes. Other than that, it's a gorgeous drive, and there is water and a dump station up near the top of the pass.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
vjstangelo wrote:
We did that route 1 time. It is a steep, mountainous, twisting set of switchbacks going up and then down to Sheridan. I have never done it again because we nearly burned up the transmission on the climb (burning smell came through the ventilation and we quickly pulled over to cool off the rig).

It you have done this type of road and are comfortable doing it, it is doable with great care.

Are you talking about the Burgess route or OPs southern route?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We did that route 1 time. It is a steep, mountainous, twisting set of switchbacks going up and then down to Sheridan. I have never done it again because we nearly burned up the transmission on the climb (burning smell came through the ventilation and we quickly pulled over to cool off the rig).

It you have done this type of road and are comfortable doing it, it is doable with great care.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
We stayed at the Yellowstone West Entrance last September. You'll love it.

Suggest you sign up for a Yellowstone tour and let someone else do the driving as it's a huge park.

Kool . . . Last time we were there was in 1998 and drove to Old Faithful on the Harley. It got really cold and we actually were in some snow flurries then.We did not need reservations then and stayed at Fishing Bridge Campground there.
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Yellowstone West Entrance last September. You'll love it.

Suggest you sign up for a Yellowstone tour and let someone else do the driving as it's a huge park.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I personally love going over the Bighorn Mtn on 14a but agree that for most people it is not a good idea. I don't mind the extreme nature of 14a. I have gone over it in both directions with a variety of vehicle combinations.

I have also gone over on 16 and would highly recommend it to most people. You will still be doing some steep and twisted roads.

I feel the same way about 14 & 14A

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
We took that route last September pulling 26' trailer. Loved it going that way.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I personally love going over the Bighorn Mtn on 14a but agree that for most people it is not a good idea. I don't mind the extreme nature of 14a. I have gone over it in both directions with a variety of vehicle combinations.

I have also gone over on 16 and would highly recommend it to most people. You will still be doing some steep and twisted roads.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We were planning to stay in Cody for 2 days to see the sites there
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
That route takes you over the Bighorn Mountains. Doable, but steep in spots. If your plans include staying a day or two in Cody (Buffalo Bill Historical Center is AMAZING!), it's the best route. Whatever you do, do not take 14A to Burgess Junction. The Southern route you have planned , (over the Bighorns thru Ten Sleep and in to Buffalo) is the best route.
If you don't intend to stop in Cody and are just looking for the best route from Yellowstone to the Black Hills, just leave West Yellowstone and go north on 191 to Bozeman and pick up I-90 there. It will be a few miles longer, but a couple of hours shorter, especially if you take 212 from Garryowen (site of Little Bighorn Battle) over to Belle Fourche, SD then down to Sturgis.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellowstone is mostly a large Plateau. The east gate route takes you through the Shoshone River Valley. My favorite place to see moose. No that hard, but you to keep your eyes on the road.